Off Topic > Game/Book Reviews

XCOM : Enemy Unknown

(1/3) > >>

niflheimr:
I've finished it a couple of days ago and I wanted to see what do you guys think about it . IMO , while it does keep the original theme and is quite immersible they took it down a notch with the simplified features and short gameplay. FYI , I've finished it on classic in about 15 hours.

Steve Walmsley:

--- Quote from: niflheimr on October 25, 2012, 05:34:46 AM ---I've finished it a couple of days ago and I wanted to see what do you guys think about it . IMO , while it does keep the original theme and is quite immersible they took it down a notch with the simplified features and short gameplay. FYI , I've finished it on classic in about 15 hours.

--- End quote ---

Similar feeling. A dumbed down version of the original but with some of the original feel. Played for about a week but have now lost the urge :)

I can't believe that with all the various attempts, no one can come up with a better version than in 1993. I do think one of the main problems though is that either the population is less intelligent/has a much shorter attention span than 1993, or, more likely, a lot of game designers think they do.

Or possibly the computer-using population in 1993 was a different demographic than the current one.

Steve

Icecoon:
I have the feeling that modern mainstream commercial game designers go for the money in the first case. The quality of the game is secondary for them.
Thanks to Steve and other similar old school game designers that we can enjoy brilliant games in the 21th century too.

Propaganda over, where are the cookies?  ;D

niflheimr:
I've tinkered with its files after a while and used a friend's mod ( Abductions are preceded by ufo interceptions and a few other toys) and it did get a bit better - and it was all included in the original files . I have a feeling they are doing a dlc-based milking again. And if it's one thing I hate is DLCs. Can't remember the last time I bought a DLC besides Dawnguard for Skyrim.

About the demands of the majority - I believe you are right in both cases Steve - if not all three . Mainstream gamers bitch around the forums all the time that game x is too difficult or that it's too complex and all that. So the devs have to balance the few that actually got the disposition and time to enjoy some complex gameplay with the hordes that will buy a " new shoes for character X" DLC.

Demographic wise it could be . While I was pretty much raised around computers (I was 6 I believe when I got my first "pc" , a zk-based spectrum , 256k ram :D ),  20 years ago  most of the guys and gals using them were at least in their late teens/early 20's. Right now you see kids barely out of diapers getting Ipads and smege , with dumb-downed features on them to make the more user friendly .

But I digress - I will wait and see what changes with patches and DLCs .

Verdict : Half-decent reimagining that will  remind you of the OG and will keep you on your chair for a few days.

Canek:

--- Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=5469. msg56191#msg56191 date=1351165152 ---Similar feeling.  A dumbed down version of the original but with some of the original feel.  Played for about a week but have now lost the urge :)

I can't believe that with all the various attempts, no one can come up with a better version than in 1993.  I do think one of the main problems though is that either the population is less intelligent/has a much shorter attention span than 1993, or, more likely, a lot of game designers think they do.

Or possibly the computer-using population in 1993 was a different demographic than the current one.

Steve

--- End quote ---

Oh boy.  I declare this quote as just stolen by me.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

It appears that you have not registered with Aurora 4x. To register, please click here...
There was an error while thanking
Thanking...
Go to full version