Author Topic: Alien orbital strike  (Read 1476 times)

Offline Stormtrooper (OP)

• Captain
  • S
  • The universe is a Dark Forest
Alien orbital strike
« on: September 19, 2021, 06:03:19 AM »
I reminded myself about a particular problem with the game. Ever felt annoyed when the game switches to 5s turns for IRL time of dozens of minutes if not a few hours already, denying you play and melting your cpu? And what if I told you that you get into this situation, but this time have to press a button for each 5s turn to be processed?

The latter of the above is what happens if aliens decide to bombard *your* world. If your reinforcements to destroy the orbital strike fleet aren't anywhere within range of minutes before arrival, you will suffer. A lot.

Problem is, I don't have any reasonable idea how to fix this problem, but I'm making this post to raise awareness and hopefully together came to some conclusion as to what to do with it besides editing db to swtich the npr to player control and move their fleet away.

Also a secondary issue is that the same problem is what makes it practically impossible to bombard any npr world larger than a small mining outpost. Forget doing any large-scale orbital strikes on highly populated worlds, your mouse and your finger would break long before you can do any significant damage, especially to ground forces.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
Re: Alien orbital strike
« Reply #1 on: September 19, 2021, 06:38:07 AM »
If I understand you correctly, you are complaining about the fact that you have to click the 5s increment button over and over and over, right? Well in VB6 there was a repeat function for this, and you could say progress in x second increments y times.It was pretty useful when fighting incoming missiles for instance. I did not see it in C#, but it would be pretty useful in a situation like yours. There is not much you can do during the bombardment either way.

Simple question: Do NPR ships consume MSP during weapons fire or is this feature deactivated for them? It makes bombardments quite pricey to be honest.

The following users thanked this post: Stormtrooper

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #2 on: September 19, 2021, 07:06:46 AM »
As far as I'm aware nprs don't use MSP or have their guns break, but it's good to know the feature you've mentioned existed before. While it doesn't solve the issue of lenghty 5s periods aurora has always been suffering from, I think implementing it in C# would be good enough as at least I'd be able to leave the computer overnight to skip the bombardment, making it no worse than npr-npr fight.

Thanks a lot, repeat function sounds exactly like something I've been looking for.

P.S. Having nprs care about maintenance would also help, because their bombardments could last only so long, making your wait time shorter when paired with repeating. Probably much more cumbersome to implement because of the ai changes needed for it to work, though.
« Last Edit: September 19, 2021, 07:10:19 AM by Stormtrooper »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: September 19, 2021, 07:13:29 AM »
Simple question: Do NPR ships consume MSP during weapons fire or is this feature deactivated for them? It makes bombardments quite pricey to be honest.

NPRs do check for weapon failure and will use up MSP accordingly. I can't remember though if that was in v1.13 or I only added it for this version.

• Captain
  • S
« Reply #4 on: September 19, 2021, 07:18:39 AM »
That almost makes me want to try to endure the bombardment untill their ships ewentually break and they'd be forced to turn away from the planet, but if you're not sure whether it's already in I guess db edits it is then. Good to know it'll be a thing when 1.14 comes out if it isn't already. Do you have plans for adding mentioned option of repeating turns?

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #5 on: September 19, 2021, 08:26:21 AM »

NPRs do check for weapon failure and will use up MSP accordingly. I can't remember though if that was in v1.13 or I only added it for this version.

I'm fairly sure it was added to 1.14 because I remember certain forummers complaining about NPR infinite bombardments until it was fixed for 1.14.

Offline kilo

• Lt. Commander
  • k
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2021, 10:17:38 AM »

I'm fairly sure it was added to 1.14 because I remember certain forummers complaining about NPR infinite bombardments until it was fixed for 1.14.

That would allow the AI to bomb the planet until your fleet arrives, which might be quite a few 5s increments. I would consider this a bug as it makes the game unplayable. Good that it is fixed in the next iteration of the game.