Author Topic: Release date?  (Read 34047 times)

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
Re: Release date?
« Reply #30 on: October 25, 2018, 05:45:42 PM »
Been looking every so often to see if C# has been released, any news on roughly when this may be?

Experience tells me that it usually just drops when it is ready... once Steve start showing some new AAR of the game that is usually a good indication that the game are nearing some sort of release. But I have never seen any release date or even estimation mentioned anytime.

It simply is done when it is done I guess.

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #31 on: October 25, 2018, 06:40:43 PM »
Any updates on progress? Really looking forward to this...

From 6 to 8 months away without hiccups. Steve recently replied to one post saying that he is moving his house and for the next 2 or 3 weeks will not work on Aurora C#, but he said the project committed already 2 years of his life, therefore, will not be abandoned such as Aurora trans Newtonian or Aurora 2. He also said that he will start a test game soon (once the settled in) and will start coding the missing parts (AI, commands and movements) while playing which is encouraging because from previous build we can say without problem that usually time is right: 6 to 8 months usually from AAR to stable build. From what we understood the roots of the game are there and now we are moving into the mechanisms and interactions (pre-alpha stage).

Original post here: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8497.1380

Quoting myself from the end of Jan we were 6 to 8 months away. We know Steve didn't work on it all April and part of August as he was travelling. Guessing from the number of Changes list now posted pretty much regularly then we should quite close to the AAR considering the latter was Conventional Start settings (details). On a previous post, Steve replied to me that he would be disappointed if he couldn't make by Autumn which is Spring in New Zealand (it all started because of this missing information in my post).

If all works out smoothly November could be an interesting month for us all...

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #32 on: October 25, 2018, 06:44:40 PM »
Been looking every so often to see if C# has been released, any news on roughly when this may be?

Summer.

In the southern hemisphere.

(The second one.)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #33 on: October 25, 2018, 07:03:39 PM »
So far I have assigned planetary governors and academy commandants, set up research projects and began setting industrial projects. I am already finding minor bugs and adding UI elements :)

It is going to take quite a while to play this campaign so don't take this as any indication of imminent release. Testing can take a while, depending on how well it goes.

The following users thanked this post: Froggiest1982, Bremen, Garfunkel, Marski, Tor Cha, Viridia, bro918, jonw, Rye123, DocSpit

Offline Froggiest1982

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #34 on: October 25, 2018, 08:02:12 PM »
So far I have assigned planetary governors and academy commandants, set up research projects and began setting industrial projects. I am already finding minor bugs and adding UI elements :)

It is going to take quite a while to play this campaign so don't take this as any indication of imminent release. Testing can take a while, depending on how well it goes.

We are as always 5 seconds increment away...

Offline Viridia

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #35 on: October 26, 2018, 12:28:21 PM »

Part of the draw for me is reading the AAR's you do anyway, to be honest. I still love the conventional start and Cold War settings you did, though Solarian Empires and Colonial Wars had some great backstory to them.

Offline Ranged66

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #36 on: October 28, 2018, 06:11:04 PM »
I love the optimism when reading back to the beginning of this thread hahah

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2018, 12:03:12 AM »
Did I say this year? Uhh. I meant this decade :p
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #38 on: November 04, 2018, 04:14:51 AM »
I love the optimism when reading back to the beginning of this thread hahah

Yes :)

Look on the bright side though. If I had been able to correctly estimate how much time this would take, I would never have started :)

The following users thanked this post: Deutschbag, QuakeIV

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #39 on: November 04, 2018, 12:21:54 PM »

Yes :)

Look on the bright side though. If I had been able to correctly estimate how much time this would take, I would never have started :)

To be honest, there were so many changes (just think about ground combat), that its a miracle that you are almost on the finishing line (assuming test campaign goes well)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2018, 12:29:24 PM »
To be honest, there were so many changes (just think about ground combat), that its a miracle that you are almost on the finishing line (assuming test campaign goes well)

Yes, ground combat has become a huge amount of work for the new Aurora, especially with all the potential interactions with space combat. I started down this path to remove the inconsistency of PDCs and make things easier!

Now I am playing a test campaign, it definitely seems worth the effort. It has added a completely new dimension to the game.

The following users thanked this post: waresky, Person012345, Shuul, Tor Cha, DocSpit

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #41 on: November 04, 2018, 12:53:36 PM »
Still, rework of AI is the main thing that drives me crazy to play new Aurora (im not really into ground forces, ill just deal with them via exterminatus ::) ), do you plan to test it in current campaign? Or new will be required?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #42 on: November 04, 2018, 02:07:15 PM »
Still, rework of AI is the main thing that drives me crazy to play new Aurora (im not really into ground forces, ill just deal with them via exterminatus ::) ), do you plan to test it in current campaign? Or new will be required?

I will test in this campaign. I just want to fix the various bugs that are cropping up before I start using the AI. Hard enough to understand what the AI is doing without it being bugged :)

Favourite so far was shipyard tasks vanishing, along with the fleet that was the target of the task. Took me two days to figure out that when I detached a ship from a fleet that was now empty, the fleet was being deleted. Then when I saved the game, the fleet wasn't saved, which means when I reloaded the game, the shipyard task couldn't find a fleet and didn't load. Which meant when I saved for the second time, that vanished too. Aaargh!

The following users thanked this post: waresky, Shuul, Nori, King-Salomon

Offline waresky

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2018, 10:16:12 AM »
Still no idea on release date. Hardly did anything in April but back on track recently. I am going to work on missile and turret design next, then probably the new game window. Still not even looked at detection or combat or the galactic map and a lot of the movement orders are not done. However, I am away a lot in June so not much progress then either. My plan is to try to start a test game before the end of the summer, even if a good chunk of the game isn't there yet. Playing will motivate me to fill in the missing pieces :)

In terms of a finished game, my latest guess is late this year or early next.

Steve "The Optimist"..:)

Offline roug (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • r
« Reply #44 on: November 06, 2018, 07:21:10 AM »
Quote from: Steve Walmsley link=topic=9533. msg110806#msg110806 date=1541362035
Quote from: Shuul link=topic=9533. msg110804#msg110804 date=1541357616

I will test in this campaign.  I just want to fix the various bugs that are cropping up before I start using the AI.  Hard enough to understand what the AI is doing without it being bugged :)

Favourite so far was shipyard tasks vanishing, along with the fleet that was the target of the task.  Took me two days to figure out that when I detached a ship from a fleet that was now empty, the fleet was being deleted.  Then when I saved the game, the fleet wasn't saved, which means when I reloaded the game, the shipyard task couldn't find a fleet and didn't load.  Which meant when I saved for the second time, that vanished too.  Aaargh!

How is the performance vs old Aurora?