Author Topic: Diplomacy Issue  (Read 2140 times)

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
Diplomacy Issue
« on: April 25, 2020, 04:12:42 PM »
Either I haven't fully understood the mechanics or I have a possible diplomacy issue. In this current game I had a multi nation start on Earth, I set a truce countdown which has now expired. For some reason I keep getting an event message that is a variation of the following

"Diplomatic contact from the Russian originating from the ship X in the Sol system. The ambassador identifies as X diplomatic rating X"

I have tried the communicate button but obviously this does nothing as the truce starting condition meant communications had already been established. What is this amdassador actually trying to do and how to I respond?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Diplomacy Issue
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2020, 04:31:56 PM »
Either I haven't fully understood the mechanics or I have a possible diplomacy issue. In this current game I had a multi nation start on Earth, I set a truce countdown which has now expired. For some reason I keep getting an event message that is a variation of the following

"Diplomatic contact from the Russian originating from the ship X in the Sol system. The ambassador identifies as X diplomatic rating X"

I have tried the communicate button but obviously this does nothing as the truce starting condition meant communications had already been established. What is this amdassador actually trying to do and how to I respond?

He is trying to improve your race's view of his race.

Offline Rich.h (OP)

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2020, 11:37:37 AM »

Does this mean then if I have a ship with a diplomacy module installed, and an officer onboard with a diplomacy rating. I am using my own ambassador to do the same thing back to all empires on the body where the ship is orbiting?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2020, 01:57:11 PM »

Does this mean then if I have a ship with a diplomacy module installed, and an officer onboard with a diplomacy rating. I am using my own ambassador to do the same thing back to all empires on the body where the ship is orbiting?

Yes, to all Empires who can detect the ship.

Offline Mr.Nap

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2020, 02:37:56 PM »
I, on the other hand, meet an NPR, but what struck me was that its color was green.
However, the color codes are if I am not mistaken, White: Neutral, Green: Friend or Ally, and Red: Enemy ?
Or did I miss something?
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 02:41:06 PM by French Kiss »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2020, 02:56:46 PM »
I, on the other hand, meet an NPR, but what struck me was that its color was green.
However, the color codes are if I am not mistaken, White: Neutral, Green: Friend or Ally, and Red: Enemy ?
Or did I miss something?

Maybe it was friendly.  Their ambassador might just be that good (or their race that friendly, or your race not that chauvinist).
« Last Edit: April 26, 2020, 03:12:44 PM by Father Tim »

Offline DoctorDanny

• D
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2020, 03:10:59 PM »
Or did I miss something?

Well, my green contact greeted me with lots of big ugly missiles.
I've taken green to mean 'Nasty Green Aliens, Purge!'

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2020, 03:13:50 PM »
Or did I miss something?

Well, then you probably want to set your race's view of them to "Hostile".

Offline Mr.Nap

« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2020, 03:20:34 PM »
Or did I miss something?

Maybe it was friendly.  Their ambassador might just be that good (or their race that friendly, or your race not that chauvinist).

Okay, I think I understand, I think it has to do with the Xenophobia or Diplomatic number in creating the player's race, right?

Offline Zhatelier

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2020, 03:21:45 PM »
Keep in mind that the colour only marks your attitude towards them, not the other way around.

Offline Mr.Nap

« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2020, 03:25:46 PM »
Alright I understand.
Thank you.

Offline DoctorDanny

• D
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2020, 03:28:16 PM »
Or did I miss something?

Oh, I did just that, trust me.
Sent them some salvo's in return too.

Offline Mr.Nap

« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2020, 03:34:18 PM »
Or did I miss something?

Oh, I did just that, trust me.
Sent them some salvo's in return too.

A fairly expeditious form of diplomacy.

Offline Mr.Nap

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 04:53:26 PM »
But overall, how do you manage diplomacy?
Are you rather aggressive? Or do you take the time to know the NPR? Of course, if at all, that the latter does not attack you.

The following users thanked this post: Kristover