Author Topic: Newtonian Aurora?  (Read 683 times)

Offline v431 (OP)

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • v
Newtonian Aurora?
« on: April 06, 2024, 02:20:02 PM »
Hello everyone.
I came from Terra Invicta looking for a more in-depth strategy experience.  To my disappointment, Aurora does not implement orbital mechanics for ships.  I found a post from 2011 (https://aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=4019. msg39038#msg39038) talking about a theoretical implementation of newtonian gravity, which is pretty much exactly what i wanted. 
All of that leads to my question as to what is the current state of the idea and whether there are any working implementations. 

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Newtonian Aurora?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2024, 02:56:02 PM »
No Implementation and AFAIK not being worked on for around a decade

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2024, 04:32:22 PM »
Yeah, Steve worked on it for a while and came to the conclusion that, as much fun as Newtonian mechanics are for space nerds, it didn't add anything to the whole 4X space strategy game thing Aurora is all about besides extra micromanagement. Despite the level of detail, Aurora has never been meant as a hard sci-fi simulator although it's a damn sight closer to realism than, say, Star Trek or something.

That being said, I will say that once you do get into Aurora, you don't really miss the hard sci-fi mechanics as much as you might think. The real meat of the game is in the strategic, operational, logistics, doctrinal, etc. and the tactical parts while quite detailed are really a small part of the whole.

The following users thanked this post: v431

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2024, 06:14:02 PM »
Pulsar 4X is being developed with newtonian mechanics. It's also not yet playable :-(

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2024, 10:23:11 PM »
Pulsar 4X is being developed with newtonian mechanics. It's also not yet playable :-(

Is Pulsar still active? I thought it was abandoned several years ago.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2024, 07:39:04 AM »
Yeah, Steve worked on it for a while and came to the conclusion that, as much fun as Newtonian mechanics are for space nerds, it didn't add anything to the whole 4X space strategy game thing Aurora is all about besides extra micromanagement. Despite the level of detail, Aurora has never been meant as a hard sci-fi simulator although it's a damn sight closer to realism than, say, Star Trek or something.

That being said, I will say that once you do get into Aurora, you don't really miss the hard sci-fi mechanics as much as you might think. The real meat of the game is in the strategic, operational, logistics, doctrinal, etc. and the tactical parts while quite detailed are really a small part of the whole.

Ultimately, Aurora is intended as a game, not a simulator. The focus is on a 'physics model' with internal consistency across all sizes and scales, rather than trying to closely reflect reality. I did get extremely in-depth into the Newtonian mechanics, to the point where I contacted a US rocket manufacturer to ask the weight of the cladding on their cryogenic fuel tank, so I could model their rocket correctly :) Ultimately, I realised that all the extra effort needed for the player to deal with the mechanics was cool in the short term, but tedious in the long-term. It's fine for a tactical game, where those mechanics would be a major part of combat decisions, but as noted above, Aurora is more of a strategic/operational game where fleet doctrine and deployment decisions are usually more important for long-term success than tactical-level decision-making.

The following users thanked this post: Xkill, AlStar, Kiero, Warer, v431

Offline Froggiest1982

• Vice Admiral
  • F
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2024, 04:24:57 PM »
Hello everyone.
I came from Terra Invicta looking for a more in-depth strategy experience.  To my disappointment, Aurora does not implement orbital mechanics for ships.  I found a post from 2011 (https://aurora2. pentarch. org/index. php?topic=4019. msg39038#msg39038) talking about a theoretical implementation of newtonian gravity, which is pretty much exactly what i wanted. 
All of that leads to my question as to what is the current state of the idea and whether there are any working implementations.

The closest you can get between Aurora and Terra Invicta is Nebulous: Fleet Command.

You can get it on steam here: https://store.steampowered.com/app/887570/NEBULOUS_Fleet_Command/

Without the 4x elements for now.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2024, 04:26:49 PM by Froggiest1982 »

Offline Zap0

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2024, 10:29:37 AM »

Is Pulsar still active? I thought it was abandoned several years ago.

Se5a and the occasional contributor still work on it from time to time. Development branch had commits three days ago.

The following users thanked this post: nuclearslurpee

Offline StarshipCactus

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2024, 07:18:31 AM »
You have probably already heard of it, but Children of a dead Earth might be something you're interested in.

The following users thanked this post: lupin-de-mid