Author Topic: Setting up waypoints at certain coordinates?  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Theokrat (OP)

• Lt. Commander
Setting up waypoints at certain coordinates?
« on: February 01, 2012, 04:01:28 AM »
I am trying to effectively use actively guided missiles at long range.  The idea is to observe the enemy fleet and determine its course and speed.  Knowing my missiles’ speed I can calculate an interception point.  I would like to create a waypoint at or very near this interception point, so I can launch my missiles at this point.  Once they arrive, the waypoint will be deleted and hopefully the missiles will look onto the enemy.

The trouble is that I find it quite hard to create a waypoint at the coordinates where I want it to be.  Right now I try to create it by holding a ruler against my screen, which is rather awkward and not very accurate (in particular since it’s a touch screen, so I cant actually put the ruler against the screen).  This is not much of an issue in a straight pursuit, but makes targeting quite difficult in other situations.

So the question is: Is there a way to put a waypoint at fixed coordinates where no object currently is? I. e.  can I set up a waypoint exactly at coordinates (x,y) if there is no ship/wreck/planet/whatever on that spot.  Alternatively: Is there anyway to see the coordinates of an existing waypoint (without flying there)?

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
Re: Setting up waypoints at certain coordinates?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:50:43 AM »
I'm not aware of any way to place a waypoint at exact (x,y) coordinates, no... but the game does include a "ruler". It's either shift-click-drag or ctrl-click-drag (not sure which). Click on your own fleet first to center it. Then use the ruler to get exact range-and-bearing. You should be able to convert that to cartesian coordinates.

Offline chrislocke2000

• Captain
  • c
Re: Setting up waypoints at certain coordinates?
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2012, 08:08:24 AM »
You can also display range bands from a selected spot, I think it's an option under the second display tab. I would think a combination of a range ring centered on your fleet and a projected line from the target should get you a reasonable approximation of where to fire your missiles