Author Topic: What's going on with the time increments?  (Read 2243 times)

Offline Lazers (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
What's going on with the time increments?
« on: February 01, 2012, 05:49:29 PM »
I've read all about how NPR battles can cause low time increments, but I don't understand what could be causing this:

The time increments are locked to a maximum of one day.  I cannot go past this, to five days or thirty days, and I've run the game for thirty of these days and it hasn't cleared up.

This leads me to believe it's not your standard "NPR's battling" slowdown that happens, but some other dodgy bug.

Is there any way to fix this, or will I have to abandon my game? Which I'd really rather not do. . .

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
Re: What's going on with the time increments?
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
Have you tried turning on SM then looking at the news reports? That might give you some hint about the possibility of combat. Usually, long-range fleet interception slows down the increment to one day. I'm assuming you've already checked the report, but check to make sure it's not some ship of yours spamming you.
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

Offline Lazers (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
You were right!

Sub-Pulse adjusted due to possible long-range fleet interception.

Only, who, where, why, and how do I stop it?

I'm pretty new to the game, by the way.

Offline Atlantia

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • This is a wug.
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2012, 06:19:38 PM »
That's uncommonly long. Two possibilities. Either these fleets will eventually intercept your ships, or an NPR's. If you have any ships in not-well-explored systems, try moving them out and see what happens. The second choice is to wait it out. It'll end eventually.
Now there are two of them.   There are two ______.

Offline Lazers (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
I'm unfortunately still in sol and still building up the jump-infrastructure to colonise other systems.   I've explored Alpha Centauri and surveyed it geologically, but all my forces are currently jaunting around the Sol system. 

That must mean there's a potential alien fleet outside my detection range, which means I'm probably screwed. 

OR, in the case of NPRs, there could be two evenly matched ships trying to chase each other for eternity.  Then I'm even more screwed.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2012, 06:28:39 PM by Lazers »

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2012, 09:40:25 PM »
As long as you're still in Sol, you could turn on the "Subspace bubble", which forces the game to ignore all star systems except the one on the screen... time will not advance elsewhere.

Naturally, the problem will return when you leave Sol and turn it off again.

Offline Lazers (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
That sounds more like it'll just delay the problem instead of fixing it.   

Is there anyway to use SM to .  .  delete the two fleets attempting to contact?

Where do I look to turn on the subspace bubble?
« Last Edit: February 02, 2012, 11:22:11 AM by Lazers »

Offline blue emu

• Commander
  • b
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2012, 11:24:02 AM »
Is there anyway to use SM to . . delete the two fleets attempting to contact?

No... that would require the database password, which Steve is reluctant to hand around.

Have you tried ticking "Auto-Turns" in the top right corner of the main map window? That should make the game ignore any interrupts except those specifically intended for you (such as "Fleet X has completed its orders").

Offline Marthnn

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2012, 11:42:27 AM »
Quote from: blue emu link=topic=4604. msg46062#msg46062 date=1328203442
Have you tried ticking "Auto-Turns" in the top right corner of the main map window? That should make the game ignore any interrupts except those specifically intended for you (such as "Fleet X has completed its orders").
Doesn't work for me.  I specifically recall being interrupted anyway for no apparent reason.  No small time increment afterward that could mean combats, just that one interrupt, suggesting. . .  some Swarm infestation somewhere?

Offline Lazers (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2012, 11:57:14 AM »
Quote from: blue emu link=topic=4604. msg46062#msg46062 date=1328203442
No. . .  that would require the database password, which Steve is reluctant to hand around.

I have done this and proceeded almost two-three months in one day auto-turn increments and the one day limit still hasn't gone away.

Looks like I'll have to abandon this game before I even got started because of this ridiculous bug - should be a SM command to force the turn or something.

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2012, 01:44:50 AM »
Just want to throw in that I'm having the same problem.  I've spent about 1. 8 years of in-game time proceeding in increments of one day.  I'm using Auto-turns, but it stops every five to days to inform me that the unrest level on a planet has fallen by 0. 0278%.  My ships are located entirely in the three systems in which I have colonies, so I can't exactly pull out of anywhere.

Discovered the game a few days ago, and I'm loving every second of it, except for the ones where it doesn't actually let me play the game.  Guess I'm starting over and hoping for the best. 

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2012, 04:38:57 AM »
Eh there's nothign wrong with that. Five and thirty day increments kind of screw over the civilian economy and survey ships anyway.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2012, 04:57:38 PM »
Just want to throw in that I'm having the same problem.  I've spent about 1. 8 years of in-game time proceeding in increments of one day.  I'm using Auto-turns, but it stops every five to days to inform me that the unrest level on a planet has fallen by 0. 0278%.  My ships are located entirely in the three systems in which I have colonies, so I can't exactly pull out of anywhere.

Discovered the game a few days ago, and I'm loving every second of it, except for the ones where it doesn't actually let me play the game.  Guess I'm starting over and hoping for the best. 
That's how its supposed to work. When the unrest on a planet has fallen to zero, you'll no longer get those messages. No need to start anew.

Offline Moonshadow101

• Chief Petty Officer
  • M
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=4604.  msg46603#msg46603 date=1329087458
That's how its supposed to work.   When the unrest on a planet has fallen to zero, you'll no longer get those messages.   No need to start anew.   

I've already junked that game, but it would have taken at least two hours of real time for the stability to hit 100%.   And even when that did happen, it wouldn't solve the interval issue.   

Offline ollobrains

• Commander
  • o
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2012, 04:33:54 AM »
it works for some and not others maybe newtowian aurora might fix this at some point