Author Topic: Home Systems  (Read 1651 times)

Offline Troy Cash (OP)

• Leading Rate
Home Systems
« on: November 22, 2008, 09:28:30 AM »
Am I missing an easy way of making them?

I just keep hitting create system until I find a 0.0 level with a system with decent # of other planets, moons, asteroids or comets for resources.  I don't want to use Sol, Death to the Human Race! Genocide is in effect!
Troy S. Cash
"Just Waiting for the Phase Change"

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Home Systems
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 11:39:58 AM »
This tutorial should help you.

viewtopic.php?t=1184

Offline Troy Cash (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 11:51:08 AM »
I saw that and have created lots of systems but tI must be unlucky because I seem to be created dozens of systems for each 0.0 world.  And some of those I don't use because of either nothing else worth anything in the system or WAY to much in the system so the race would be underpowered or overpowered.

Making them does show me how the systems looked but the tutorials says got lucky and had a 0.0 system, I was wondering if there was anything new and/or missed anything to allow the SM to get or create a system for player races races easier.
Troy S. Cash

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 12:09:02 PM »
It's typical to need to generate LOTS of systems before finding one suitable to use as a homeworld (Oxygen and liquid water).

Note that the colony cost during generation is for the default (SM) race, NOT the race that you'll end up having.  When you pick a homeworld and generate your race, the race's tolerances for gravity, temperature, oxygen etc. will be set to make the homeworld "perfect", i.e. the colony cost will automatically be zero, even if it was showing up as e.g. 1.6 before.

Another point - don't forget to click the "generate homeworld minerals" button (not sure what the exact name is) for your homeworld before doing race generation - this will ensure a decent supply of duranium etc.

John

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:17:11 PM »
Quote from: "troycash"
I saw that and have created lots of systems but tI must be unlucky because I seem to be created dozens of systems for each 0.0 world.  And some of those I don't use because of either nothing else worth anything in the system or WAY to much in the system so the race would be underpowered or overpowered.

Making them does show me how the systems looked but the tutorials says got lucky and had a 0.0 system, I was wondering if there was anything new and/or missed anything to allow the SM to get or create a system for player races races easier.

But you don't need a 0.0 world. All you need is a world with oxygen and water. Once you create your race on that world, it will become 0.0 for them, even if it shows 3.9 to the SM race.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 12:18:00 PM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
It's typical to need to generate LOTS of systems before finding one suitable to use as a homeworld (Oxygen and liquid water).

Note that the colony cost during generation is for the default (SM) race, NOT the race that you'll end up having.  When you pick a homeworld and generate your race, the race's tolerances for gravity, temperature, oxygen etc. will be set to make the homeworld "perfect", i.e. the colony cost will automatically be zero, even if it was showing up as e.g. 1.6 before.

Another point - don't forget to click the "generate homeworld minerals" button (not sure what the exact name is) for your homeworld before doing race generation - this will ensure a decent supply of duranium etc.

John

I do that last more than once. I click about a couple dozen times.

Offline Troy Cash (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 12:24:07 PM »

Duh! Thanks, that makes sense now.
Troy S. Cash

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 07:46:56 AM »
Quote from: "troycash"

Duh! Thanks, that makes sense now.
As well as picking any oxygen-nitrogen world you could also just pick any terrestrial body you like the look of and create a colony for the SM Race using the Add Colony button. Then go into the Environment tab for that colony and set up whatever atmosphere you want. You can also create Methane-breathing races. When looking for planets, just treat methane as you would oxygen. You'll find the methane breathers will be best suited to cold worlds - very cold :)

Steve