Author Topic: Modular space stations  (Read 1725 times)

Offline Platys51 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
Modular space stations
« on: October 05, 2021, 05:23:06 PM »
It's a bit of pain having 100+ habitats above a world... In real life, we build up space stations in small increments.
Would be cool if we could do that in Aurora too, instead of waiting years to get any benefit from huge ones.
Just combining things the 2 stations are made of plus some extra structural shell would be more than fine. Or the ability to refit stations with industry I guess.
Could RP incremental adjustments using that.

The following users thanked this post: Droll, Cinnius, Blogaugis

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
Re: Modular space stations
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2021, 06:59:04 PM »
I don't understand. You can already do this, by building space stations and grouping them together in a fleet. For example, I have a fleet called Cloud City on Venus. I add orbital habitats on it whenever I have surplus minerals and factory production. But for every practical purpose as well as visually, it's a single giant space station. You could even rename the individual "ships" to things like Hudson Arcology or Equatorial District so that even in Fleet window it'll look like a city instead of a list of OHB 001, OHB 002, OHB 003 and so on.

Unless I misunderstood your post and you meant something else?

Offline RougeNPS

• Lt. Commander
  • R
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2021, 09:24:25 PM »
I think they are asking for a system of basically successive additions. Adding on components after initial construction that isnt a straight upgrade just...more stuff.

Offline Platys51 (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2021, 01:55:33 PM »
I don't understand. You can already do this, by building space stations and grouping them together in a fleet. For example, I have a fleet called Cloud City on Venus. I add orbital habitats on it whenever I have surplus minerals and factory production. But for every practical purpose as well as visually, it's a single giant space station. You could even rename the individual "ships" to things like Hudson Arcology or Equatorial District so that even in Fleet window it'll look like a city instead of a list of OHB 001, OHB 002, OHB 003 and so on.

Unless I misunderstood your post and you meant something else?
Once you have 3 billion people living on habitats, doing this gets a bit ridiculous if you open one of your fleets by accident or ship gets built and put into one.

Having the ability to combine stations into one would give them much more personality if you decided to go that route too.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2021, 01:58:00 PM by Platys51 »

Online nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2021, 02:03:45 PM »
Once you have 3 billion people living on habitats, doing this gets a bit ridiculous if you open one of your fleets by accident or ship gets built and put into one.

Having the ability to combine stations into one would give them much more personality if you decided to go that route too.

Wouldn't the natural extension be to start using subfleets? A little clunky but it works to model divisions and sub-divisions of any habitat that is realistically holding 3 billion people (...for a certain definition of realism, I suppose...)

Offline Migi

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2021, 02:17:55 PM »
If it is purely a micromanagement issue you could build each segment using a different template, then use SM to modify the actual station to include the new module and delete the unneeded new station. You would need a template for each individual station though. The way Aurora is designed, if the functionality was in-built, you would need those templates anyway.

In principle I don't see why you couldn't have a station of any size designed for modular expansion, although comparing a habitat with a capacity of 250000 people to the ISS with a capacity of about 10 seems a little off.

Offline smoelf

• Commander
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2021, 03:40:39 PM »
If it is purely a micromanagement issue you could build each segment using a different template, then use SM to modify the actual station to include the new module and delete the unneeded new station. You would need a template for each individual station though. The way Aurora is designed, if the functionality was in-built, you would need those templates anyway.

In principle I don't see why you couldn't have a station of any size designed for modular expansion, although comparing a habitat with a capacity of 250000 people to the ISS with a capacity of about 10 seems a little off.

Something like this would also be my solution until a possible implementation. For every 10 space stations with orbital habitats, you might design a space station ten times the size of that and use SM to replace them.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2021, 03:58:06 AM »
Wouldn't the natural extension be to start using subfleets? A little clunky but it works to model divisions and sub-divisions of any habitat that is realistically holding 3 billion people (...for a certain definition of realism, I suppose...)
Yeah, sub-fleets are extremely powerful and useful. I can't live without them anymore, now that I'm used to how much easier they make maintaining organization.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2021, 06:05:13 AM »
I would go with the SM solution for this, see no reason that would not work for this. It is not really cheating to use SM for role-play purposes anyway.  :)

To be honest the implementation of this in code seem overly complex due to how ship design works so using SM to simulate this is probably way simpler.