Author Topic: Compacting the Database?  (Read 1451 times)

Offline DizzyFoxkit (OP)

• Petty Officer
Compacting the Database?
« on: March 13, 2012, 02:20:07 AM »
Ok, so I think I need to stop lurking for a bit to ask some questions

1. How much game slowdown does Compacting the Database actually fix?

2. Can game slow down be caused by multiple starts?

3. Should I run this feature without any Aurora windows open?

Offline Vynadan

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Re: Compacting the Database?
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2012, 05:11:46 AM »
1.:
None, although I'm not exactly an expert in this area. It saves you harddisk space.

2.:
Aurora only stresses the CPU if you process a turn. The size of the database should be irrelevant for the number of movement and other calculations to process, which are the culprits that slow down a turn. Unless you run multiple instances of aurora at the same time (*and* press the turn buttons simultanously) multiple starts shouldn't slow down processing.

3.:
Gotta admit, the compact database button always crashes aurora for me, on my PC, my laptop and previous OSs I had on my machines.

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Compacting the Database?
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2012, 07:50:35 AM »
On multiple starts:  I would recommend starting new games with a "clean" DB - in the past there's been some leakage from Steve's games (that come in the DB) into player games.  So I always start a new game with a new copy of the DB (from the patch file).  After generating my game, I always delete Steve's game right away.

One (harmless) example of leakage that I think still exists is the hull type table.  If you generate a hull type "Foo" in one game, I think it shows up as an option in other games.

John
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 07:52:17 AM by sloanjh »