Author Topic: Government Pool  (Read 3523 times)

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Government Pool
« on: February 27, 2009, 07:52:27 AM »
How quickly can I take ships out of the Government Pool to use for other reasons?  I have an NPR who just got its home system invaded.  Can the NPR take the ships out of the Government Pool that turn and use them?  All rules about where ships are will still apply.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
Re: Government Pool
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2009, 09:27:06 AM »
According to 15.04.02b in SM#2:
'Imperial Freighters may be transferred to or from the CFN at the beginning of any turn at any CFN terminal.'
Welchbloke

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2009, 05:51:17 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
'Imperial Freighters may be transferred to or from the CFN at the beginning of any turn at any CFN terminal.'

The problem is, which turn?
Tactical turn? (30 seconds)
Interception turn? (30 minutes)
System turn? (12 hours)
Strategic turn? (1 month)

Personally, I would go for the System Turn - but as the rule isn't clear which specific turn it is, the options available are pretty broad....
Later,
Matt

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2009, 10:40:46 AM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"
Quote from: "welchbloke"

The problem is, which turn?
Tactical turn? (30 seconds)
Interception turn? (30 minutes)
System turn? (12 hours)
Strategic turn? (1 month)

Personally, I would go for the System Turn - but as the rule isn't clear which specific turn it is, the options available are pretty broad....

Depends upon how quickly you think a government bureaucracy can recall ships from the pool.  If you look at some examples from real life then for Ships Taken Up From Trade (STUFT) the timeline can be a couple of weeks.  For Aircraft Taken Up From Trade it is still a few days.  I know both of these are taking civilian ships/aircraft for military use, but the refitting/dropping of cargo/repositioning is normally the overiding factor.  I would suggest that neither the System Turn nor the Strategic Turn are the correct length (system too short, strategic too long).  Perhaps a 4 system turns (48 hrs) would be a reasonable compromise?
Welchbloke

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2009, 08:17:22 AM »
Well, the system was invaded on the first day of the system turn.  I was thinking that ships that had not been used and hanging around the primary that had not been used would go first.  As this NPR was planning on using the ships for counter-invasions/kamikazes (really high RM and RD), but had not figured that the invasion would be _this_ turn, I had wondered how this should be played out.

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2009, 08:18:35 AM »
Excuse me, that was the very beginning of the Strategic turn.

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2009, 09:05:55 AM »
Quote from: "Tregonsee"
Well, the system was invaded on the first day of the system turn.  I was thinking that ships that had not been used and hanging around the primary that had not been used would go first.  As this NPR was planning on using the ships for counter-invasions/kamikazes (really high RM and RD), but had not figured that the invasion would be _this_ turn, I had wondered how this should be played out.
In this context, with ships already having warning orders (I'm assuming that some ships had been put on alert for a recall) then a System Turn would probably be appropriate.  This would be enough time to recall crews from shore leave, refuel, load military equipment (crypto etc).
Welchbloke

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2009, 01:11:18 PM »
Next question- if I do pull the ships out of the government pool during the strategic turn, what sort of economic penalty will there be, and does Starfire Assistant handle that?  I am using SA 7.0

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2009, 08:32:33 AM »
Next question- if I do pull the ships out of the government pool during the strategic turn, what sort of economic penalty will there be, and does Starfire Assistant handle that?  I am using SA 7.0

Pulling ships put of the GVMT pool can ONLY be done at the start of the month.  Penalty is that you lose the income for those ships until you put them back into the pool.

Note that it CANT be done mid month.
Slàinte,

Mike

Offline Tregonsee (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2009, 08:18:24 AM »
Werein now becomes the heart of the question (and another one as well)- Can one do things that have an economic cost, such as pulling ships out of the government pool, or conducting ship repairs, as long as you have money in the bank?  Or can one even have deficit spending, as long as it is made up the very next turn (and maybe have other restrictions)?

I realize this is a game with rules, but if this were real, actions as a result of battles would happen all of the time mid-month.

Offline ZimRathbone

• Captain
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2009, 08:19:58 AM »
Werein now becomes the heart of the question (and another one as well)- Can one do things that have an economic cost, such as pulling ships out of the government pool, or conducting ship repairs, as long as you have money in the bank?  Or can one even have deficit spending, as long as it is made up the very next turn (and maybe have other restrictions)?

I realize this is a game with rules, but if this were real, actions as a result of battles would happen all of the time mid-month.

The Starfire rules have allways been written with the concept that ALL major financial decisions are made at the Strategic turn level - ie if its not done in the economic phase, it waits till next turn.  Deficit spending is not permitted.  While not always exactly realistic it has been done this way to cut down on having complex pro-rata calculations being done for (say) colonies that are set up part way thru a turn, or running into deficit spending situations. Its just so musch easier that way when you're running the game by P&P or Excel (granted SA made things like that possible, but Marvin preferred that SA matched the P&P rules - in part thats why we have Aurora :) )

I have (once) run a campaign which had deficit spending rules, but frankly it was WAY more trouble than it was worth. One player got so far into the hole that each turn half of his income went on repaying the previous month's debt, the remainder went on maintenance, and then he would deficit spend to repair the damage to ships that either wern't maintained or suffered battle damage (he was conducting an offensive at the time).
Slàinte,

Mike