Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions  (Read 345142 times)

Offline Person012345

• Captain
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Suggestions
« Reply #255 on: May 23, 2018, 05:17:55 PM »
Which basically means you've got a 100kT+ ship moving around your defense perimeter being a target. There's a reason you don't do that in real life and instead shuffle personnel around.
Could you explain your analogy to real life here? I can't really think of any strictly analogous situation. Military bases around the world are supplied by a variety of means and I would imagine that at least part of the supply chain includes 100kt ships.

Offline Profugo Barbatus

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #256 on: May 23, 2018, 05:44:08 PM »
Which basically means you've got a 100kT+ ship moving around your defense perimeter being a target. There's a reason you don't do that in real life and instead shuffle personnel around.
Could you explain your analogy to real life here? I can't really think of any strictly analogous situation. Military bases around the world are supplied by a variety of means and I would imagine that at least part of the supply chain includes 100kt ships.

Yes, but if you have a military base in the middle of the ocean, you don't charter a cruise ship to dock up and just let people mess around in the ship facilities for a few weeks. You sail them out to the nearest piece of civilization. If anything, you could probably just rotate leave crew onto those replenishment ships, and they'll drop them off when they return.

Offline Person012345

• Captain
« Reply #257 on: May 23, 2018, 09:16:02 PM »

Yes, but if you have a military base in the middle of the ocean, you don't charter a cruise ship to dock up and just let people mess around in the ship facilities for a few weeks. You sail them out to the nearest piece of civilization. If anything, you could probably just rotate leave crew onto those replenishment ships, and they'll drop them off when they return.
Ok, but then I don't understand how this demonstrates that you "don't do" having a 100kt ship moving around. Obviously ingame it's a bit of an abstraction and there's absolutely nothing stopping you from imagining that that's what is happening anyway.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #258 on: May 23, 2018, 09:52:15 PM »
USO tours are basically that. And during WW2 and before it, mobile bordellos were a thing in most armies. A space station is not in combat 24/7 nor is it necessarily sitting in the "frontlines" all the time. Having a recreational ship visit it once a year or two is perfectly reasonable.

Offline DocSpit

• Leading Rate
  • D
« Reply #259 on: May 23, 2018, 10:12:51 PM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=9841. msg108423#msg108423 date=1527130335
USO tours are basically that.  And during WW2 and before it, mobile bordellos were a thing in most armies.  A space station is not in combat 24/7 nor is it necessarily sitting in the "frontlines" all the time.  Having a recreational ship visit it once a year or two is perfectly reasonable.

No USO tour I've ever seen has consisted of the equivalent of the Queen Elizabeth 2 pulling into port for a month.   In real life, a couple entertainers fly in on a plane, perform for a couple hours, and then leave almost immediately. 

In that respect, it actually is a lot more true to life to either require a shuttle bay, or abstract that the 'USO tour' flew into the station commercially. 

Granted, even then, this is often on top of the deployed units rotating soldiers back home for a couple weeks of leave throughout the tour. 

I recognize that in the late game, when it's not unreasonable to be employing million ton defensive bases, a la DS9 or B5, this issue effectively becomes moot, because tossing in a rec center is basically an afterthought at that point.  Mostly, my thought is to the early to mid game, where a few 5-20k ton 'watchtowers' are manageable to keep an eye on an unsecured JP, but a 150k pleasure cruiser represents a heck of an investment in shipyard infrastructure at the least. 

I just figured that, since we're making shuttles a part of the general Aurora lore, why not give them some additional meaningful parts to play in it?
"I find it a great comfort that the Universe is NOT fair.  Imagine if it were and all the bad things that happened to you really WERE your fault. . . "

Offline the obelisk

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
« Reply #260 on: May 24, 2018, 11:42:09 AM »
Quote from: Garfunkel link=topic=9841. msg108423#msg108423 date=1527130335
USO tours are basically that.  And during WW2 and before it, mobile bordellos were a thing in most armies.  A space station is not in combat 24/7 nor is it necessarily sitting in the "frontlines" all the time.  Having a recreational ship visit it once a year or two is perfectly reasonable.
No USO tour I've ever seen has consisted of the equivalent of the Queen Elizabeth 2 pulling into port for a month.
I'm not sure this is a fair comparison.  It seems to me that Ships in Aurora tend to be quite a bit larger than real world ships.  Not only that, but the largest cruise ships today are over 200k tons.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #261 on: May 24, 2018, 12:13:44 PM »
Early Aurora ships are usually smaller than modern day wet navy ships, due to limits in costs. It takes a few generations of development to get to the point you have the scale needed for that.

I mean, the biggest military ships are supercarriers of about 100 000 tons, and I just don't field ships that big before I get well into fusion engines.

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #262 on: May 25, 2018, 01:13:05 PM »
I have a suggestion related to the standing orders system: Add a "return to this system" checkbox for standing orders. Whenever a conditional order sends a ship out of a system, this checkbox would automatically append orders to return to the current system. This would be especially useful for survey ships with conditional refuel orders, so that they will refuel and then return to surveying without interruption.

The following users thanked this post: Demonides, Barkhorn, Kytuzian, DEEPenergy

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #263 on: May 26, 2018, 11:51:49 PM »
This sounds like a suggestion to me.

@Steve Walmsley  have you tried or even played MANO (Modern Air Naval Operations) to see how they deal with the display of unit names and vectors? It can be very rapidly a mess, display wise and I think they did a few things right to de-obfuscate/unscramble display. I'm basing my observations on some screenshots, I did not play the game. But for example at a certain zoom level, individuals ships are replaced by a TF icon, and you can tooltip it. Will Aurora C# supports tooltip on the main map?

Offline Ranged66

• Chief Petty Officer
  • R
« Reply #264 on: May 27, 2018, 01:55:18 PM »
I'd love a TN Economy Info window

The total empire wide production of every mineral, maybe collapsible to see the biggest production location.
The same for mineral expenditure, and maybe stockpiles.

The following users thanked this post: JacenHan

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #265 on: May 27, 2018, 05:22:24 PM »
Excellent suggestion Ranger.

A summary of empire wide production, empire wide stockpiles, empire wide consumption and the same per system would be really useful. Consolidating mineral stockpiles in system is fairly simple with mass drivers, but shipping minerals around between systems requires a bit more thought, especially once you start establishing industrial centers beyond your starting system.

Offline leonidas1283

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • l
« Reply #266 on: May 28, 2018, 12:12:28 AM »
can you put a search function for that SM add to add things to a planet so when you have alot of colonys you can search for the colony or system?

Offline TMaekler

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #267 on: May 29, 2018, 07:38:28 AM »
I'd love a TN Economy Info window

The total empire wide production of every mineral, maybe collapsible to see the biggest production location.
The same for mineral expenditure, and maybe stockpiles.
I don't know how flexible such a thing could be programmed; but I imagine some kind of "universal query system" with which we can create our own "analytical statistics". Especially if you play a multi fraction game, VB6 Aurora lacked quite a bit in giving you the tools to keep everything in overview.

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #268 on: May 29, 2018, 09:08:09 PM »
I don't know how flexible such a thing could be programmed; but I imagine some kind of "universal query system" with which we can create our own "analytical statistics". Especially if you play a multi fraction game, VB6 Aurora lacked quite a bit in giving you the tools to keep everything in overview.

Well there is a database for the game, so we could have a screen that display the results of SQL queries on the database, maybe let you save a few different queries so you could easily access multiple reports. That'd be about as much flexibility as you could get.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #269 on: May 29, 2018, 09:11:04 PM »
He'd also have to be careful to prevent queries from breaking the DB.  Don't want to let anyone run any table drop queries.