Author Topic: Recovering Fired (and unexploded) missiles.  (Read 3712 times)

gamemonger56

Recovering Fired (and unexploded) missiles.
« on: December 01, 2016, 04:43:13 PM »

is it possible?

Offline Kytuzian

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
Re: Recovering Fired (and unexploded) missiles.
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2016, 07:02:38 PM »
No.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2016, 07:11:10 PM »
Effectively, all missiles after being fired that dont find a target, auto self destruct. (Something real missiles do mind you)

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2016, 02:13:29 AM »
Effectively, all missiles after being fired that dont find a target, auto self destruct. (Something real missiles do mind you)

Indeed. If your enemy could get their hands on an unexploded missile it would be worth alot to them, and allow them to figure out exactly how to defeat it. This would be even more of a risk in space then here on Earth where the missile would probably crash quite violently and be in a pretty bad shape even if it didn't properly explode.

Offline linkxsc

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2016, 06:02:59 PM »
Indeed. If your enemy could get their hands on an unexploded missile it would be worth alot to them, and allow them to figure out exactly how to defeat it. This would be even more of a risk in space then here on Earth where the missile would probably crash quite violently and be in a pretty bad shape even if it didn't properly explode.

Tru story. US took a long time to deploy proximity fused anti aircraft rounds to ships, as they were sfraid some might get captured, or one might not go off and be imbedded in an aircraft that RTBed.

Actually happened with the sidewinder missile. One got stuck in a mig 15 i think. Pilot flew it back to base landed. Missile got shipped to Russia, reverse engineered it, and deployed a near perfect replica as their realy heat seeking a2a missile.

Offline GodEmperor

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2016, 07:58:25 AM »

In Aurora ( and space warfare in general ) context its not reverse engineering per se but more that once fuel runs out, you have virtually undetectable fast moving live warhead that will slam into something eventually. Seeing how even small battle in Aurora end up with dozens of missiles "wasted" its a really good security precaution to have them self destruct ;>

Obligatory YT link :
."I am Colonel-Commissar Ibram Gaunt. I am known as a fair man, unless I am pushed.
You have just pushed me."

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2016, 09:07:39 AM »
In Aurora ( and space warfare in general ) context its not reverse engineering per se but more that once fuel runs out, you have virtually undetectable fast moving live warhead that will slam into something eventually.

I thought aurora ships (and missiles) would just stop moving when they ran out of fuel instead of following the newtonian laws of physics? That's why we call it Trans-Newtonian, no?

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2016, 10:08:12 AM »
I thought aurora ships (and missiles) would just stop moving when they ran out of fuel instead of following the newtonian laws of physics? That's why we call it Trans-Newtonian, no?
I think you're right as well. But I guess they'd still move under gravity at least? So not exactly fast-moving in Auroran terms, but still with an unpleasant chance of being caught up in a planetary gravity well.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2016, 04:20:13 PM »
They do completely stop when they run out of fuel. They self destruct because they are useless without fuel. You can't recover them as the fuel storage are built within the missiles, and getting to the tank would mean taking the missiles apart. Some nasty things could happen when you take one apart. I think the "fluff" here is similar to which the UNSC can't really take apart slipspace drives, because they could go critical and some strange things occur (including people vanishing from existence when playing around with one).
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #9 on: December 10, 2016, 12:33:07 AM »
I'm more inclined to believe they self destruct at end of range to prevent falling into enemy hands, or leaving dangerous unexploded ordnance in potentially future friendly space.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "