Author Topic: Federation Campaign Comments Thread  (Read 2813 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Federation Campaign Comments Thread
« on: December 12, 2023, 10:07:09 AM »
Please post any comments on this campaign in this thread.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte, Warer, BigBacon

Offline Warer

• Lieutenant
Re: Federation Campaign Comments Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2023, 12:42:08 PM »
I love that new campaign smell in the morning.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2023, 06:15:10 PM »
Love the unique lore choice of the Minosians to represent the Precursor origins!

There is no ‘United Federation of Planets’ and Earth is about to start exploring the galaxy, but with a larger and more capable fleet than in that series. The major alien races are also starting from their own home worlds.

I am curious to see if you will be able to leverage the diplomacy tools to form the UFP in this timeline. Or perhaps more accurately, I look forward to seeing what new and exciting diplomatic tools you will add to the game to make such things possible!  ;D

Ten starting NPRs in specific systems, mainly between 11 LY and 160 LY, plus one outlier at 325 LY,

Will be interesting to see how this works out, 160 LY is a loooooot of space between NPRs. On the other hand with ten NPRs, even the improved processing speed in 2.4 may have its work cut out, plus there is a high chance that an NPR might meet another (starting or generated) and start a war complete with constant interrupts.

•   Sol has a minimum of four jump points.
•   Survey Speed is 25%.
•   Limited Research Administration is on.

These are the correct game settings. 

Design Principles, as set by the Federation Council

These look very cool and should lead to some interesting and more importantly terrible (by Aurora mechanics) designs.  ;D

The commercial designs are actually rather interesting to me, the sizes with intrinsic jump drives are quite different than the usual, e.g. 57,000-ton freighters instead of 45,000. Out of curiosity, have you ever tried playing with colony ships that have colonist + cargo capacity to move infrastructure and population in the same ship? I enjoy the different dynamic of this approach although it is a less flexible ship design for sure.

The majority of the ground elements available to Starfleet are intended for engineering and planetary surveys, with four Geological Survey Expeditions, four Xenoarchaeological Expeditions and eight Starfleet Engineer Detachments. In total, these non-combat formations comprise more than eighty percent of the ground forces available to Starfleet.

Interesting... I usually don't even find use for more than one ground survey and xenoarcheology formation apiece, although the construction units are always in demand. Not sure what you'd need four of each for...

Looking forward to seeing how this one turns out! Though I'm torn between wanting a long game for an interesting story to develop, and a short game so 2.4 can release before Christmas (it would be perfect timing!  ;D )...

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
  • Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2023, 06:53:32 PM »
Looking forward to this campaign!  I suspect that Starfleet might want to develop some sort of colonial security/militia/police force design just for keeping future colonies calm. They probably won't have any permanent military fleet forces stationed in-system, given the limited number of ships in Starfleet and their main role as explorers rather than picket ships.

Also, was this an oopsie or just typos?
MK I Point Defence Phaser (12x4)    Range 20,000km     TS: 4,000 km/s
Hyperion D-80A Point Defence Fire Control (2)     Max Range: 80,000 km   TS: 4,000 km/s

MK I Point Defence Phaser (4x4)    Range 20,000km     TS: 4,000 km/s
Hyperion D-80A Point Defence Fire Control (1)     Max Range: 80,000 km   TS: 4,000 km/s
etc.

IE all your PD phaser turrets - and their fire controls - have the same TS as the regular phasers, surely the turrets and FCs should have 4x tracking speeds instead?

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2023, 06:57:47 PM »
I'm guessing the "PD Phasers" are railguns rather than turreted lasers or gauss, which would make sense with the tracking speed.

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2023, 07:04:48 PM »
Yes the "phasers" are railguns. Steve does this sort of thing with weapon names a lot, for example in his WH40K games "lascannons" are reduced-shot railguns.

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 07:10:05 PM »
Ohhh okay!  That makes more sense now, though Starfleet using something as ...unrefined as kinetic weapons vs the elegance of shiny laser or particle beams?  Tsk tsk.  What are they, Klingons?

Offline doodle_sm

• Registered
  • Sub-Lieutenant
  • Discord Username: doodleSM
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 07:13:11 PM »
Ohhh okay!  That makes more sense now, though Starfleet using something as ...unrefined as kinetic weapons vs the elegance of shiny laser or particle beams?  Tsk tsk.  What are they, Klingons?

Use your imagination!
Maybe, in the end, this was the best that any warrior could hope for. A chance to reconcile with your enemy, or, failing that, to fall in the pursuit of peace

The following users thanked this post: Neophyte, JacenHan, BigBacon, nuclearslurpee, lumporr

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2023, 07:30:27 PM »
They can't be railguns, Steve stuck them on the Stationary defense platforms. Surely they must be turreted?

Offline kyonkundenwa

• Chief Petty Officer
  • k
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2023, 07:48:43 PM »
They can't be railguns, Steve stuck them on the Stationary defense platforms. Surely they must be turreted?
Weapons will track at the higher of racial tracking speed or ship speed. Even turrets designed to track at lower than racial tracking speed.

The following users thanked this post: Ulzgoroth, captainwolfer

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2023, 10:11:06 PM »
Intrepid class having only 1 torpedo launcher really grinds my gears (just kidding [mostly]), otherwise great set up, cant wait to see some action!

Offline Neophyte

• Gold Supporter
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2023, 12:22:43 AM »
Use your imagination!

Never! *shakes fist*

...well, I suppose...

More seriously, this did remind me in the old Star Fleet Battles some races' ship designs had what was called a phaser-G, a gatling-style phaser that fired four weak short ranged phaser shots.  Effective against missiles and fighters of course, but also surprisingly good at knife-fighting passes against larger ships too.  Not that they would be as good point defense weapons in this game as the reskinned railgun arrays.

Further speculating, if you wanted to emulate Klingon-type disruptors you could maybe use plasma carronades or particle beams.  And yes, the old VB6 SPOILER weapon would have been just perfect for the Romulans!  ;D  But I don't think those are coming back, probably too much hassle to code just for a single unique weapon.

Hope there's more soon!

Offline El Pip

• Lieutenant
  • E
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2023, 02:24:29 AM »
The important thing is that this story got the traditional trope done nice and early;

An invasion of the Russian Far East by China drew a nuclear response.

China got nuked. And in the second sentence of the AAR, which may well be a new record.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2023, 05:06:06 AM »
The important thing is that this story got the traditional trope done nice and early;

An invasion of the Russian Far East by China drew a nuclear response.

China got nuked. And in the second sentence of the AAR, which may well be a new record.
Hahaha, yes yes yes, the tradition remains alive!  ;D

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2023, 05:40:54 AM »
Use your imagination!

Never! *shakes fist*

...well, I suppose...

More seriously, this did remind me in the old Star Fleet Battles some races' ship designs had what was called a phaser-G, a gatling-style phaser that fired four weak short ranged phaser shots.  Effective against missiles and fighters of course, but also surprisingly good at knife-fighting passes against larger ships too.  Not that they would be as good point defense weapons in this game as the reskinned railgun arrays.

Further speculating, if you wanted to emulate Klingon-type disruptors you could maybe use plasma carronades or particle beams.  And yes, the old VB6 SPOILER weapon would have been just perfect for the Romulans!  ;D  But I don't think those are coming back, probably too much hassle to code just for a single unique weapon.

Hope there's more soon!

They are railguns and their first name was 'Gatling Phaser', before I changed it to Point Defence Phaser. I thought the former didn't sound very Starfleet :)