Author Topic: v5.40 Patch  (Read 11115 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
v5.40 Patch
« on: March 10, 2011, 12:36:04 AM »
Note: This patch is no longer required but I am leaving the file here in case there is a problem with v5.50

Important! This is a database patch so if you upgrade you will lose your saved game. Don't upgrade if you want to keep playing the same campaign.

As usual, please treat this new patch as a beta release and don't put a lot of work into new campaigns for the next few days until I get chance to see initial bug reports. This patch can only be applied to version 4.2 or later. To apply the patch just unzip the Aurora540.zip file into the installation directory, overwriting two files.

http://www.pentarch.org/steve/Aurora540.zip (13.8Mb)

NOTE: The Aurora.exe in this patch was changed to v5.42 at 17:30 GMT on March 14th so you don't need to download the extra v5.42 patch if you are downloading this patch after that time.

This database in this patch contains my current campaign as an example game.

Steve
« Last Edit: August 03, 2011, 02:52:46 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Peter Rhodan

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Re: v5.40 Patch
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2011, 09:26:11 PM »
Hi Steve

I thought you had int he pre-relese notes you were re-designing the windows to work on laptop type screens with only 768 screen resolution?
I downloaded the patch but the windows are no different - am I missing something?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
Hi Steve

I thought you had int he pre-relese notes you were re-designing the windows to work on laptop type screens with only 768 screen resolution?
I downloaded the patch but the windows are no different - am I missing something?

There is an option on the Game Parameters menu to turn on reduced height windows.

Steve

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2011, 07:49:54 PM »
About 3 weeks ago I upgraded from an XP laptop to a Windows 7 64 bit laptop. Reinstalled Aurora with the new 5.42 patch. At home I use an external monitor. This week I was travelling and had the opportunity to try the Reduced windows with mixed results. The following windows were still too big for my 1366 x 768 screen resolution:

Task Groups
System Info
System Maps
Fighter Squadrons
Battle Control Window

The bottoms are cut off. Especially bad if there are two rows of buttons. No access to those buttons.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2011, 10:12:29 AM »
About 3 weeks ago I upgraded from an XP laptop to a Windows 7 64 bit laptop. Reinstalled Aurora with the new 5.42 patch. At home I use an external monitor. This week I was travelling and had the opportunity to try the Reduced windows with mixed results. The following windows were still too big for my 1366 x 768 screen resolution:

Task Groups
System Info
System Maps
Fighter Squadrons
Battle Control Window

The bottoms are cut off. Especially bad if there are two rows of buttons. No access to those buttons.

The new resolution requirement is for 1280x800. I know that isn't much of a difference though. Do you think you would be able to see the buttons if your resolution was 800?

Steve

Offline ShadoCat

• Commander
    • http://www.assistsolar.com
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2011, 01:14:35 PM »
The new resolution requirement is for 1280x800. I know that isn't much of a difference though. Do you think you would be able to see the buttons if your resolution was 800?

Steve

Steve & Zed, I'm at 768 vertical resolution as well.  The buttons are hidden unless I tell Win 7 to minimize the task bar.

To do this, Right click the task bar to get the Task Menu.

Then from the Task Menu, go into Properties.

Unclick: Lock taskbar

Click: Auto-hide the taskbar

Then, after playing Aurora, I usually unhide the taskbar since a disappearing taskbar annoys me.

This adjustment lets me see all of the buttons (or the top half of all the buttons but that's enough).

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2011, 08:18:20 PM »
Well I did a lot of testing and I do appreciate the info.

My Taskbar is already Auto-Hide and that does not make a difference. My max resolution is 1366 x 768. If the title bar wasn't there or if it would stay up off the screen by dragging it(it drops back when the mouse is moved) then I could see the tops of the bottom row of buttons. Resize Enable works to some extent. Have to resize the windows each time and lose some other areas of the window.

Could I see it at 800 resolution?  Possibly, maybe, not sure. it really seems to depend on the title bar height of the window.

I did get an unsupported 1150x800 resolution to partially work thru a registry hack but the 1150 wasn't quite right. The 1150 was for the entire screen but what was displayed was like an old movie on a wide screen tv, black bars on the sides and I lost the horizontal width. Screen about 2/3 of what it should have been.

Other issues in 5.40 and 5.42.  Click on help and get "Error 3021 was generated by DAO.field" "No current record" Click ok "Error 3021 was generated by DAO Recordset" "No Current Recordset" Click ok "Error 3020 was generated by DAO.Field" "Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit" Click ok "Error 3020 was generated by DAO Recordset" "No Current Recordset"  "Update or CancelUpdate without AddNew or Edit" Click ok and get the About  Aurora small window. This happens with or without reduced windows. On 2 different pc's win 7 and vista.

Task Group window: Conditional Order A in the Special Orders tab which was moved up and to the right for reduced windows will appear superimposed and slightly offset over the Copy Orders to Subordinate Formations in the Task Group Orders Tab. which opens first when Task Groups is selected. Clicking the Special Orders Tab resets this window to normal operation. This only happens in reduced windows. Same on 2 pc's.

I didn't put these in bugs as this may well only apply to me because of the resolution problems.

Offline dooots

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • d
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2011, 08:54:59 PM »
Task Group window: Conditional Order A in the Special Orders tab which was moved up and to the right for reduced windows will appear superimposed and slightly offset over the Copy Orders to Subordinate Formations in the Task Group Orders Tab. which opens first when Task Groups is selected. Clicking the Special Orders Tab resets this window to normal operation. This only happens in reduced windows. Same on 2 pc's.

I can confirm this, I just keep forgetting to report it.

Offline Zed 6

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • Z
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2011, 06:19:58 PM »
Good news!

Originally I was playing Aurora on a 12" xp laptop (not a netbook) and everything worked fine esp Aurora. Eventually after many years of faithful service, it became bypassed by newer technology for frontline on the road use. So a month ago I got a newer laptop with windows 7 and the nice screen tricks with XP no longer work and I had a screen resolution of 1366x768. And that is good for what I need except Aurora. In the interim I had acquired a so-so laptop with Vista that I had little use for as it had a small hard drive and was consigned to e-mail and mp3 editing. With the Aurora screen size problems and the other 2 problems mentioned above, I installed it on the Vista machine. Low and behold, the Vista machine has a resolution of 1280x800! For the same size 14" screen.

Long story short and a new larger hard drive and a new windows 7 install later. Aurora works. There was a problem with F9 and a missing dll file, but thanks to other posts by other knowledgable players in the windows 7 installation thread, I was able to take care of it. So the ex vista unit is now my road laptop.

The other 2 problems mentioned previously are still there, but don't seem to interfere with game playing.

Thanks all for the help.

Offline Cassaralla

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2011, 07:27:31 PM »
768 is the max depth for my laptop also but I've managed to play most of the game with the taskbar minimised as shown above.  I do have problems with the Task Group page though.  The first set of buttons on the bottom is usable but i can't get at the second row, and that makes creating or renaming new task groups a bit of a headache.

Offline georgiaboy1966

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2011, 12:44:31 PM »
For those using net books.

GET A COPY OF VMware or use one with XP on it.

I am running Aurora in full screen mode on my net book in a VMware screen. Only problem is the memory limits of my net book.

Glen
Glen

Been a player since the Beta of SA, 1993?

"Constructive criticism is never a bad comment"
-Me

"By all means marry. If you get a good wife, you'll be happy. If you get a bad one, you'll become a philosopher."
- Socrates