Author Topic: Changing Alien icons in the Galaxy Map  (Read 1095 times)

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Changing Alien icons in the Galaxy Map
« on: June 11, 2013, 02:59:59 AM »
Is it possible to change the icon used for another race's fleets on the Galaxy Map?  I know I can change my own fleet icon in the Races screen, but I cannot find a way to change it for another race.  The reason I ask is that I'd like to give those incredibly lethal really friendly aliens I've met a more menacing appropriate icon than the Enterprise A.  Preferably a method that doesn't involve spoilers, like opening the race data in SM mode or some such.  Thanks.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Changing Alien icons in the Galaxy Map
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2013, 07:07:11 AM »
With some caveats the answer is no.

1: If you are running the NPR and not the AI then yes you can.  If I recall correctly, this would not require SM mode.

2: For most other NPR's you would need the designer mode. 

3: The last way is to have full database access and make the change directly to the race table.

The last two are access levels that Steve grants to a limited group since it is way too easy too destabilize the game with either method of access.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline SpikeTheHobbitMage (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Commodore
  • S
Re: Changing Alien icons in the Galaxy Map
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2013, 01:18:08 PM »
I was afraid of that.  It looks like I will be filing a feature request.  In the mean time, I suppose I could replace the icon file itself.

Thank you.