Author Topic: 1 mn suggestion!  (Read 1833 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
1 mn suggestion!
« on: September 29, 2010, 02:50:20 AM »
Hi,

Steve, I have a very minor suggestion on the interface.

I would like to suggest something that can be done in 1 mn I believe (I know, as a dev it would take me that time  ;D )

In the list of assignments for leaders, instead of seeing the older assignments first, and having to scroll to see the newest positions, can you do a reverse listing, i.e I would see first the current position of the leader, and at the bottom of the edit box (or how you call that in VB), the oldest ones.

if you can do that thanks, that will spare many clicks in the end.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: 1 mn suggestion!
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 01:41:35 AM »
Hi,

Steve, I have a very minor suggestion on the interface.

I would like to suggest something that can be done in 1 mn I believe (I know, as a dev it would take me that time  ;D )

In the list of assignments for leaders, instead of seeing the older assignments first, and having to scroll to see the newest positions, can you do a reverse listing, i.e I would see first the current position of the leader, and at the bottom of the edit box (or how you call that in VB), the oldest ones.

if you can do that thanks, that will spare many clicks in the end.

Do you mean the history of assignments for the leader? BTW the current assignment is shown at the top of the window, under the leader name.

Steve

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »
yes this one  :)

You are right, it is listed at the top of the screen, that's just that I find easier to read the current position at the same eye level than the left lists (leftmost: Seniority of officers, left: Potential assignements), also it is written in black over white (whereas at the top of the screen, it is gray over white, so more difficult).

Another argument would be that the list of missions for ships is already reverse sorted (Ship History), so this would be consistent to have the history listings with the most recent entry at the start and the oldest at bottom (where you have to scroll with the scrollbar, potentially).

That's a detail, sure  ;D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 10:25:23 PM »
yes this one  :)

You are right, it is listed at the top of the screen, that's just that I find easier to read the current position at the same eye level than the left lists (leftmost: Seniority of officers, left: Potential assignements), also it is written in black over white (whereas at the top of the screen, it is gray over white, so more difficult).

Another argument would be that the list of missions for ships is already reverse sorted (Ship History), so this would be consistent to have the history listings with the most recent entry at the start and the oldest at bottom (where you have to scroll with the scrollbar, potentially).

That's a detail, sure  ;D

When I looked at this yesterday, it turned out that the officer history was just one huge text field that I added to when required, so I couldn't display it in reverse. However, this uses a Memo datatye in Access, which is something I have been trying to get rid of due to the problem that it causes Access to increase in size rapidly. Therefore I have created a new officer history table and rewritten every line in the program that creates officer history to use the new table instead. I was amazed how much code that involved :). Anyway, I now have more efficient code and you have history in reverse. It did take a lot longer than 1 minute though :)

Steve

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2010, 01:27:30 AM »
Thank you so much Steve, I appreciate the attention you give us all and your dedication to your great game and project  :)