Author Topic: Civilian ships  (Read 2088 times)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
Civilian ships
« on: October 04, 2010, 06:44:38 AM »
Would it be possible to have some options like:
a) mask civilian ships
b) only show them as blue dot + move trail

Because they clutter quite a bit the display, and they make 95% of the trafic in my home system. I like to see them (give me a sense of a living empire) but not to the point of having sentences written on top of each over everywhere.

If possible, thanks!

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
Re: Civilian ships
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2010, 10:24:36 AM »
By 'mask' I'm assuming you mean supress from displaying.  This can already be done.  It's one of the options on the Conatacts tab of the (F3) System Map screen.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Vanigo

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2010, 11:35:20 AM »
It is? I thought that got removed when civilians stopped being counted as a sort-of-separate civilization.

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2010, 12:22:56 PM »
By 'mask' I'm assuming you mean supress from displaying.  This can already be done.  It's one of the options on the Conatacts tab of the (F3) System Map screen.

You mean only civilians? I have not found such option sorry. I can only hide all ships, that's not what I would like. The best thing would be to have a way of showing 'minimally' the civilian ships (just the dot and trail) without the name for me.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2010, 10:02:22 PM »
It is? I thought that got removed when civilians stopped being counted as a sort-of-separate civilization.

One of the options for the contact filter on the system map is "No Civilians"

Steve

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2010, 01:29:30 AM »
ah yes, it is so much clearer!

(I lose the sense of a thriving empire with civilian lanes though, but this is close to ideal anyway...)

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2010, 01:56:19 PM »
Sorry to put again the subject on the table, but really ... Civilian ships are a great asset of the game (this is simply cool to have a civilian sector!) but I really miss a display option where they are only shown as dot+move trail, without any writing. With writing, everything is cluttered, and masking them in the contact window makes you lose sense you have civilian ships moving like busy bees in your 'empire'.

So, if this is not too much to ask for this additional checkbox and underlying filter, that would be great for the enjoyment of the game. Not only for me I think  :D

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2010, 09:15:18 PM »
Sorry to put again the subject on the table, but really ... Civilian ships are a great asset of the game (this is simply cool to have a civilian sector!) but I really miss a display option where they are only shown as dot+move trail, without any writing. With writing, everything is cluttered, and masking them in the contact window makes you lose sense you have civilian ships moving like busy bees in your 'empire'.

So, if this is not too much to ask for this additional checkbox and underlying filter, that would be great for the enjoyment of the game. Not only for me I think  :D

Added for v5.30. There is now a Hide Civilian Names checkbox under the Contact filter dropdown.

Steve

Offline Nibelung44 (OP)

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: October 12, 2010, 01:17:33 AM »
 :D

many thanks!