Author Topic: Fighters, Maintenance and You.  (Read 2725 times)

Offline Zatsuza (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
Fighters, Maintenance and You.
« on: March 18, 2013, 06:45:06 AM »
Hey guys. How in the name of holy hell do I stop fighter maintenance clocks from going up as I construct them?

I'm a bit of a perfectionist and it might take a year or so to build a few fighter wings-- yeah, I could build more vastly more fighter factories but I'd still have a few months on them-- not to mention I want more workers in R&D, not construction and I really don't want to keep sticking them into overhaul before jamming them like sardines in a PDC or carrier. any way to auto-assign them to land on a carrier or PDC from constuction? and yeah, fighters in a hanger don't accure time on the clock, but it doesn't seem to go down either so would sticking a maintenance module on a carrier or having a PDC on a planet with maintenance facility allow them to drop the maintance clock while they're docked?

I'd like my fighters to be overhauled/maintained as wings instead of re-assigning each individual fighter of a wing/TG back to the carrier as soon as it's finished overhauling-- and knowing aurora I'd probably end up with fighters that still had a month or so on the clock if I use the 30 day increment a few times.

Also are the smallest gauss guns viable on a fighter? a hit multiplier of 0.08x seems a bit... well, small. :x
and such a fighter with railguns or gauss shouldn't really need a FCS right?

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
Re: Fighters, Maintenance and You.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 07:03:03 AM »
Set your new fighters TG to a group with carriers with that class of fighter in their default strike group. Newly built fighters will auto dock on the carriers.

Maint clock DOES go down while on a carrier. Or at least it should.

Small gauss cannons can hit near 100% hit rates with high fighter combat bonus officers. That's something of a bug really.

Fighters DO need fire controls. Make sure to design it as a fighter FC so you get the 4x speed bonus.

Handling many ships at once is best done with either the fighter squadrons screen (f7), or the naval organization tab (in f12)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 07:08:06 AM »
You can direct new fighter construction directly into a fleet. On the industry tab of the F2 populaton and production window, there is a dropdown called New Fighters that allows you to set a destination fleet for new fighter contruction.

Obviously, make sure you have hangar space available in the destination fleet and also check you have setup the strikegroups for each class so the program knows where to base the new fighters.

Ships in a hangar are automatically overhauled while they remain in that hangar.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 07:10:36 AM »

Handling many ships at once is best done with either the fighter squadrons screen (f7), or the naval organization tab (in f12)

Another option is just to select the fighters you wish to launch in the left-hand listbox of the "Move ships between Task Groups" section of the Special Orders Organization tab of the F12 window. Then click Split TG and you have a new TG consisting of newly launched fighters.

Offline Zatsuza (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:16:22 AM »
Wow, a response from the big boss himself. Hi steve, awesome game.  ;D Keep up the good work man, when I have some money I'll try and donate some.

And thanks guys. to be honest I'm quite happy with current fighter squadron/strikegroup organization, I just needed a way to autodock them-- I've only recently started assigning a type of fighter to PDC default strikegroup.