Author Topic: Conversion of CI to ... ? and Infrastructure.  (Read 3096 times)

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
Conversion of CI to ... ? and Infrastructure.
« on: July 25, 2014, 11:41:17 AM »
So, im doing Pre-Newtonian starts.
Im wondering, once i get to Newtonian Tech, how i should convert my Industry.
I usually split them into Mines and Construction Factory.  But i dont know if that is wise.  I could just build Mines and CFs themselves, and keep my CI.

In addition, do i need any Infrastructure on my Home World ?
Or am i supposed to ship all i have to a Colony and only then build new Infrastructure, again to ship it ?

thank you !!

Offline Goshwa

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • G
Re: Conversion of CI to ... ? and Infrastructure.
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 12:46:02 PM »
Hi,
Population and Production window // Industry // Construction option: Installations / Convert CI to. . . . . (Mine/Fuel Refinety/Construction Factory).

You dont need Infraestructure in your Home World.  You need it in colonies where Colony Cost is higher that 1.

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 01:15:59 PM »
Im not asking HOW to convert it from a GUI point of view, but to what i should actually convert it to !

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 02:28:53 PM »
CI is horribly inefficient. Each CI gives 1 construction point, 1 mining point, and small amount of fuel refinery. Construction factories, mines, and fuel refineries each give ten times that much, so it's always better to convert rather than build from scratch. I usually convert most into mines and factories, with a small portion of the rest reserved for ordnance factories and fuel refineries.

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 02:33:00 PM »
thank you for elaborating the actual numbers.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2014, 02:17:46 AM »
Just to add exact detail: CI is exactly half as efficient as other industries. It gives 1 point to each, construction, mining, ordnance, fighter and fuel production, so that is 5 points in total. Any trans-newtonian industry instead gives 10 points in its respective area, so the total is two times higher.

Not sure if CI benefits from tech advances, but if not then the gap will quickly widen.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2014, 08:15:00 AM »
Just to add exact detail: CI is exactly half as efficient as other industries. It gives 1 point to each, construction, mining, ordnance, fighter and fuel production, so that is 5 points in total. Any trans-newtonian industry instead gives 10 points in its respective area, so the total is two times higher.

Not sure if CI benefits from tech advances, but if not then the gap will quickly widen.
CI won't benefit from the tech advances.

While CI gives you 1 point in each of those areas, the TN counterpart gives you 10 points. So it is 10x as effective in that area. Saying it's only 2x is a bit misleading. Overall, you are losing 5 points of production, and you are gaining 10. But that 10 points is specialized.
« Last Edit: July 26, 2014, 08:23:28 AM by Erik Luken »

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2014, 10:01:40 AM »
It is only misleading if it was asked to have a specialization. Only if you are for example out to have as much construction points as possible, you will get x10, otherwise it will always be less. Here it was asked for Construction and Mines, so that means x5 efficiency at max. already. Yet, if you convert a start pool of 1000 CI into construction and mines only, you will eventually recognize that you are not producing any fuel anymore, because those 1000 CI equaled 100 fuel refineries too. If you arm your crafts with missiles, then 100 ordnance will be missed as well. Fighters might only be feasible later.
If you convert all the 1000 CI equally into the 5 industries, you will only end up with x2 capacity - anything else is in some sense scrapping other factories to gain advantage in a specialized area.

I usually convert 10% into ordnance and 10% into refineries (just for the start) so that I at least retain the initial capacities of the CI. 40-40 then goes to equally mines and construction, though that might not be the best ratio. I end up with x4 the capacity.

Good to know that with the tech though. Conversion is a must.

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2014, 01:55:58 PM »
I usually convert about 10% of my CI into fuel refineries and missile production.  I then convert the rest at about 2 mines per factory so 30% factories and 60% mines.  This is because shipyards, and research labs can also need minerals.  Once All of my CI has been converted I often will build more factories, and convert a bunch of the original mines to auto-mines.  By the time the minerals on my home world have run out I try to have all of the mines converted to auto-mines and shipped to other locations that are more profitable.  I also try to have sorium harvesters produce the bulk of my fuel as they are more efficient, mostly because they don't need population to man the refinery letting me use that population for other things.

Brian

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2014, 10:44:37 PM »
CI do NOT provide any ordnance or fighter factory points. They only provide mining, construction and fuel refining points.

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2014, 04:04:44 AM »
Oh, this is right. Strange, I was convinced it would help with everything.
..Well, then a CI is actually just worth 3 points against the newtonian's industry worth of 10+tech.