Author Topic: About Contracts  (Read 1593 times)

Offline AncientSion (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • A
About Contracts
« on: August 03, 2014, 10:39:47 AM »
Can someone give me a quick summary regarding Contracts or confirm what i think ?

if i have a new colony, and want stuff to be shipped there, but lack the transport ability, i could set up a DEMAND contract on this colony.
If my homeworld now constructs the items that i put as DEMAND contract on the colony (i.e. infrastructure ?or Terraforming Inst), then the civilians could pick up the stuff from my homeworld and carry it to the colony.

Or do i need to set up a "SUPPLY" Contract on my Homeworld to work in conjuntion with the DEMAND contract on the colony ?

In addition, i can speed up my civilians if i subsidize them, so they can build more freighters and colony ships ?!

Is it viable to skip on colony ships and freighters yourself and just use civilians ?
thank you !

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
Re: About Contracts
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2014, 10:47:09 AM »
You need to put a supply contract on the homeworld for it to work. Also, it is possible to never use colony ships, but you need a freighter to plop down infrastructure on a habitable planet/moon to get the civilian lines working. And civilians can be finicky at times, so keeping some freighters around is usually a good idea anyway.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
« Reply #2 on: August 03, 2014, 12:11:16 PM »
You actually can get away without the freighter, at least for the starting infrastructure.  If you go to the geology report screen, you can create a colony on a body.  In essence, that's what the first infrastructure shipment achieves.  Once the colony is created, whether by a manual infrastructure shipment or via the geology report screen, contracts work fine.

Offline Cheet4h

• Petty Officer
  • C
« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2014, 07:31:36 PM »
For contracts to work you need to create the demand and supply contracts yourself.

You can subsidize them, but you shouldn't. Later in the game you will have more than enough civ ships than needed which will slow down the game.
As soon as the civs have at least one freighter and passenger ship, they'll rake in money easily to build more ships. If you have a colony which is set to "Destination" in the Civ/Ind tab of the Pop&Prod(F2) screen (which every colony under 25M inhabitants), passenger ships will fill up the available space. Mostly they don't care how much space is left and just overfill, which creates demand for infrastructure. The freighters will be happy to fulfill it, providing more free space for new colonists. This will go on until the planet reaches 25M inhabitants and can be set to "Stable" or "Source".

Since civilian freighters have less space than most player designed freighters (I go with 25,000 Storage on every freighter module), transports with your own freighters are often more efficient, but more tedious to set up.
So, I normally use freighter modules and colonizing modules, which will sit on my homeworld until something needs to be transported. For the colonizing modules, this means mostly never after the civs establish their first passenger ships.

I say modules because I build them without engines and use tugs, ships with lots of engines and a tractor beam, to move them around. Since they typically spend as much time doing nothing, I'd rather save the resources for their engines.

Offline ComradeMicha

• Chief Petty Officer
  • King of the Mushroom Cloud
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2014, 12:46:20 PM »
Quote from: Barkhorn link=topic=7391. msg75081#msg75081 date=1407085876
You actually can get away without the freighter, at least for the starting infrastructure.   If you go to the geology report screen, you can create a colony on a body.   In essence, that's what the first infrastructure shipment achieves.   Once the colony is created, whether by a manual infrastructure shipment or via the geology report screen, contracts work fine.

Or, even more simple, just right-click the planet on the system map and chose "population > create colony".  :)
"Those who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do.  " - Sir Isaac Asimov

Offline Vandermeer

• Rear Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2014, 07:23:26 PM »
Or, even more simple, just right-click the planet on the system map and chose "population > create colony".  :)
Witchcraft!!

..Thanks, that helps a lot.
playing Aurora as swarm fleet: Zen Nomadic Hive Fantasy

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2014, 05:23:53 AM »
Don't forget that civilian shipping lines will only work within 4 jumps of a colony - any further then all haulage of freight has to be undertaken manually by the players transport fleet.

DavidR