Author Topic: Turn resolving  (Read 3327 times)

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • E
Turn resolving
« on: January 06, 2016, 06:18:22 PM »
Hi, I'm new to the game and it's absolutely amazing, but I've noticed a weird thing - turns that are resolving 5 days take actually longer time to process by the computer than those that are 30 days and there is not that much of a difference in time between 1 day and 30 days (both of which, on average, take about 3 minutes to process).  I am about 40 years into the game and set the starting population of Earth to 7 billion, perhaps this can be causing it somehow? Setting construction time to twice the default one seemed to help a bit initially with the performance in comparison to my previous games but not much. 

After patching the game to the most recent one yesterday I've started noticing overflow bugs in Production and minerals after about 30 years into the game. 

And finally my question is - is this working as intended? Should 5 day turn take longer to resolve than 30 day one?

PS.  Using this forum is very difficult, I'm getting Internal Server Errors all the time.  Is it like that all the time?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: Turn resolving
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2016, 06:35:31 PM »
The forum host appears to be running the forum on an apple IIe or similar :(
But seriously there's something wrong with the software that's caused minor problems untill recently when Auroras popularity spiked, I've no idea when it'll get fixed.
Turn processing always takes longer as a game continued, civilian shipping and NPRs in particular cause the most slowdown.  I'm not sure why 5 day ticks are taking longer though, that's pretty unusual, perhaps a bug?
The overflow errors I'm interested in though, could you post the exact error message to help narrow it down? There's a few values that can cause overflow if they get too big, most games don't last long enough to cause any though. See this topic for details:
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=6739.0
I'm wondering if maybe it's just a display error, is your operating system set to use comma as digit grouping symbol and full stop for decimal place ? If not there's an error caused by any number over 999
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2016, 06:47:35 PM »
I opened a ticket with the host. We shall see what comes of that.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2016, 07:47:15 PM »
Is 3 minutes per turn within acceptable limits? It seems to be very long compared to the playthroughs I've seen on YouTube.   I've tried it on two computers - one with Intel i5 and other Intel i7 processors and the difference after 30-40 years if gameplay is not great.   I've yet to inspect this more thoroughly but due to monitor problems, the i7 is currently being repaired.   Also, on both computers 5 day turns taking about the same time as 30 day ones.   

About the overflow bug, when assigning new ship to be constructed I'm getting Error in PopulateShipyardTasks, error number 6, overflow.   The same one appeared before with errors in minerals and in production but have not happened again.   After clicking "ok" several times the error disappears and the ships are being built. 

Also, my system is set to use , as grouping symbol and .  for decimal symbol.  Never experience any error before.
« Last Edit: January 06, 2016, 07:50:23 PM by Ekaton »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2016, 08:05:15 PM »
Is a task group assigned at the shipyard for new ships to be built to? Ensure the shipyard task group isn't flying around the system.
I've noticed quills youtube turns are damn fast, but I'm using a pretty old of now and remember my old i7 was pretty fast before I broke it.
3 minutes is actually significantly faster than I remember turns taking on my old game which had around 10 NPRs. Try changing the sensor update setting on the launch window to either automatic or none.
Automatic will probably slow the game down a bit as NPRs who share systems obliterate each other, but in the long run it'll be faster, and none will be very speedy untill you enter a system which an NPR is in.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2016, 03:04:04 AM »
Turned out that several ships under construction were assigned to a fleet that was already deployed but there was never such error when it happened before when I was learning how to play the game.  I have played several more turns and errors persist even after all the ships under construction were assigned to Shipyard TG which is on the same planet as the shipyard.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2016, 05:27:06 AM »
Hi, I'm new to the game and it's absolutely amazing, but I've noticed a weird thing - turns that are resolving 5 days take actually longer time to process by the computer than those that are 30 days and there is not that much of a difference in time between 1 day and 30 days (both of which, on average, take about 3 minutes to process).

The 5 days increments is generally take longer due to the 5-day Increment cycle.  iirc the 5-day Increment doesn't play out if there is an interrupt, so depending on how the first step of the increment is calculated, it might be possible for the 30 days increment to appear shorter if there is a perceived threat that would become relevant only after 5 days.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2016, 09:28:42 PM »
I've noticed something odd again - I was resolving a battle against another civ and managed to destroy their ships without a scratch, but the game has slowed down to 5 sec increments due to imminent attack.  I've resolved several hundred turns over time using the auto-turn (perhaps closing to 1. 000), but this still persists.  Is this working as intended?

Also, there were no lifepods from destroyed ships, is this normal? There were three of them, each of about 8. 500 tons.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2016, 12:32:13 AM »
Sometimes when 5 second auto turns don't seem to end I find that stopping turns and trying a longer increment suddenly works.

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2016, 03:00:17 AM »
@Ekaton, check http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Game_Slowdown, it might come in handy.

Offline Ekaton (OP)

• E
« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2016, 11:55:14 AM »
Quote from: MarcAFK link=topic=8198. msg84829#msg84829 date=1452321133
Sometimes when 5 second auto turns don't seem to end I find that stopping turns and trying a longer increment suddenly works.

Tried that, didn't help.

@Mor - thanks, I already know what might cause this but with about a 1000 turns that I passed in auto-turn while watching movies seems very excessive and game-breaking.  Is this really working as intended when it is this long?

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2016, 01:33:58 PM »
Pretty much any grand strategy game that  I played (especially those modded for detail) tend to crawl into a halt the longer you play it. The reason I linked that page, is that it suggest several method to "troubleshoot" the issue (btw any updates are welcome) and the SM gives you freedom to cut down some aspects of the game.. otherwise patience my friend, is the only way to go ..

Offline GreatTuna

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2016, 01:37:54 PM »
Sometimes it is, sometimes it isn't. Depends on the situation.
You can check the log files (use Text File button from Event Updates window while in SM mode). They usually contain information regarding interrupts.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2016, 04:02:30 PM »
No lifepods from destroyed ships usually indicates you're dealing with spoilers of some sort.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2016, 04:16:24 PM »
No lifepods from destroyed ships usually indicates you're dealing with spoilers of some sort.
Space wizards? 
No seriously though some guys just don't bother saving survivors.