Author Topic: Garbled/scrunched text, 1920 x 1080/6:10 laptop question  (Read 8433 times)

Offline Tatterly (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • Through the stars, hardship!
Garbled/scrunched text, 1920 x 1080/6:10 laptop question
« on: April 30, 2014, 01:34:06 PM »
Hello world forums!

Just found out about this, and it should show you how interested in this truly astounding looking game I am that I was willing to go through the process of registering for yet another forum, ahahaha - it looks like a fantastic game and a fantastic tool, and as such I hope to enjoy many countless hours of watching my worlds crumble into so much stardust around me.

However, there seems to be a problem with the font - it's very scrunched and garbled, and I have somewhat bad eyesight in the first place; I believe my monitor is large enough to properly play the game in the first place, so if someone could give me an idea of what's wrong, or even better, how it might be fixed, that would be great.  The problem seems to occur regardless of whether I use the reduce/reset window options, and is present on every screen, including hover-over tooltips.

And well I'm here. . .  I'm hoping to turn every planet I own into a horrible luddite peaceful garden world, preferably switching to organic technology at some point to overcome the running out of minerals.  With proper care for planet, everything becomes possible.  I'm assuming it eventually becomes possible to colonize gas giants/trans-newtonian objects? (Also, is it possible to run a few isolationist/peaceful games, or is the focus primarily war?)

Naturally the first question is the most important - but thank you in advance for any advice or ideas.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
Re: Garbled/scrunched text, 1920 x 1080/6:10 laptop question
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2014, 01:39:17 PM »
Hello world forums!

Just found out about this, and it should show you how interested in this truly astounding looking game I am that I was willing to go through the process of registering for yet another forum, ahahaha - it looks like a fantastic game and a fantastic tool, and as such I hope to enjoy many countless hours of watching my worlds crumble into so much stardust around me.

However, there seems to be a problem with the font - it's very scrunched and garbled, and I have somewhat bad eyesight in the first place; I believe my monitor is large enough to properly play the game in the first place, so if someone could give me an idea of what's wrong, or even better, how it might be fixed, that would be great.  The problem seems to occur regardless of whether I use the reduce/reset window options, and is present on every screen, including hover-over tooltips.

And well I'm here. . .  I'm hoping to turn every planet I own into a horrible luddite peaceful garden world, preferably switching to organic technology at some point to overcome the running out of minerals.  With proper care for planet, everything becomes possible.  I'm assuming it eventually becomes possible to colonize gas giants/trans-newtonian objects? (Also, is it possible to run a few isolationist/peaceful games, or is the focus primarily war?)

Naturally the first question is the most important - but thank you in advance for any advice or ideas.

You should be able to attach a screen shot under additional options. It might help to see what you are describing.

Gas giants can only be mined for sorium (fuel). No colonizing them.

If you turn off all alien incursions (precursors, swarm, invaders) and set your starting NPR count to 0, you should have a relatively peaceful game. Caveat. Exploring CAN generate NPRs. Ruins CAN generate precursor defenders. So it won't be 100% peaceful.

Offline Tatterly (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2014, 01:58:22 PM »
Sorry, was on it as speaking - had trouble getting my avatar to upload, my demonstration to fix, and my coffee to remain lukewarm - well, perhaps not the latter.

This happens on most every screen, and here's a laundry list of what I've tried so far:

- Running in a non-native resolution
- Running in reduced height windows/resetting window placement
- Messing with DPI/text/font size

No dice so far.  I'm likely missing something obvious but anyhow, thank you for the prompt and courteous reply! Question, NPR? I'm also taking it that infesting precursor hulks with my slathering brood won't be an option on first contact. . .   ;)

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 10:16:57 PM »
Do you have your windows set to a proportion greater than 100%? What you are seeing is text that is too long for the space, so it attempts to wrap and then gets chomped off.

NPR = Non-Player Race.

Offline Tatterly (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 03:15:24 PM »
I believe this is what you mean? If so - it's been this way since before install, I like maximizing my visible space.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean - or rather, where to find the options regarding window size. 

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2014, 04:03:43 PM »
I believe this is what you mean? If so - it's been this way since before install, I like maximizing my visible space.

Otherwise, I'm afraid I don't understand what you mean - or rather, where to find the options regarding window size. 

If it's at 100%, it should show the labels properly. I don't recall if you mentioned, what resolution are you running at?

Offline Tatterly (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2014, 04:16:58 PM »
1920 x 1080; the monitor is at 16:10! I figure that's probably what the problem is, I just have no idea what I have to do at this point.  Probably scavenge a monitor to piggyback off of, huh?

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2014, 04:39:01 PM »
1920 x 1080; the monitor is at 16:10! I figure that's probably what the problem is, I just have no idea what I have to do at this point.  Probably scavenge a monitor to piggyback off of, huh?

I've got a widescreen at home. I'll check the resolution and aspect ratio when I get off work.

Offline Tatterly (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2014, 04:43:26 PM »
Thank you - that would be ideal for me.  Take your time, but I'll say it again - thanks for the assistance.  It is very appreciated!

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2014, 06:12:01 PM »
Thank you - that would be ideal for me.  Take your time, but I'll say it again - thanks for the assistance.  It is very appreciated!

My resolution is 1680 x 1050. And otherwise seems setup similar to you. Except for the crunching.

Offline paolot

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • p
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2014, 06:22:17 PM »
1920x1080 is 16:9.
1920x1200 is 16:10.

To set the monitor resolution, right click on the desktop of Windows, then search for Monitor Settings (or something like this: I am Italian, so I am not fully sure of the EN/US commands in Windows  ::) ).
Here, you can adjust the resolution that best fit your visual needs.
But best solution is to set the desktop at the native resolution of your monitor, that is the highest resolution it supports.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2014, 11:26:21 AM »
Widescreen should have no effect whatsoever. I've run on many different widescreens of varying proportions.

???

Offline Tatterly (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2014, 01:37:07 PM »
Okay - now I'm really confused.   ???

First off, I'd like to thank all three of you again for the help - unfortunately, still no dice.  And I managed to borrow a monitor from work temporarily; again, no dice.

Paolot - Ah, thank you; your advice was handy, even though it unfortunately didn't work; I'm already running at native resolution.   :( I'm going to try re-installing most likely.

TheDeadlyShoe - Yeah, I just assumed that might be the case at first because I'm kind of stumped at this point.   ??? If I can figure out what the problem is, I'll be posting to the thread so that someone else can avoid my trials and tribulations, ahahah.

Erik Luken - Yeah, I get the crunching regardless of monitor, and our setup sound similar.  I'm going to backtrack and assume I must have installed something wrong, perhaps? I realize how grasping that is, but at this point I don't know what the problem is.  There should be enough room, and I'm pretty sure the program knows there's enough room. . .  Anyway.  I'll uh, comment back here if I figure out what's up.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2014, 01:49:47 PM »
I still think it has to do with some DPI setting. What you are seeing is classic for that.

Offline Tatterly (OP)

• Leading Rate
« Reply #14 on: May 02, 2014, 02:03:53 PM »
I'd imagine that's the case, but I can't set DPI to anything lower then 100%.  I'll mull it over with a cup of tea or something, but I imagine my next step - I did a clean re-install, just for the heck of it - will be to try lowering DPI via the registry.  That seems rather extreme, but I'm out of ideas.  Anyway - I'll be back on in a few hours, most likely.