Author Topic: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread  (Read 12747 times)

Offline simast

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • s
Re: v2.5.0 Bugs Thread
« Reply #45 on: January 02, 2024, 12:32:00 PM »
In the v2.2 change log it says that the "Copy + Upgrade" ground unit function should reuse existing series:

If the replaced class was in a unit series, the new class will be added to the series

However, this does not seem to work. I had the old unit classes in already existing series - but this is what happened (see attached screenshot).
« Last Edit: January 02, 2024, 01:24:44 PM by simast »

The following users thanked this post: Ulzgoroth, mike2R

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • Radioactive frozen beverage.
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2024, 10:03:37 PM »
Ground unit weapon stats appear rounded to the nearest (?) integer value in the Ground Forces window, in any tab. See attached image for an example, this is a conventional start with racial attack 3 so the MB component should have 4.5 penetration, but is displayed as 4. I have seen it round up in some cases so it seems to be subject to the usual Weird Aurora Rounding™ phenomenon.

From poking around in the DB, this should be a visual bug only due to how ground unit stats are stored, but I cannot test at the moment to confirm this.

SJW: Added 2 decimal places to the display
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:18:07 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #47 on: January 03, 2024, 12:38:28 PM »
Encountering a bug that has occurred in previous versions:
a large number of error windows appear for errors 478, 1943, 1954.

It seems whatever this problem is, is not restricted to civilian ships after all. It is occurring in this attached game, where a group of player warships are approaching a NPR warship.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #48 on: January 03, 2024, 01:31:12 PM »
Encountering a bug that has occurred in previous versions:
a large number of error windows appear for errors 478, 1943, 1954.

It seems whatever this problem is, is not restricted to civilian ships after all. It is occurring in this attached game, where a group of player warships are approaching a NPR warship.

Did you place any weird restrictions on the NPR when creating them? If this is the same as your AAR campaign, it is likely that limiting the NPR in some way compared to 'default' NPR generation may be causing problems - this is one reason why, for example, Garfunkel had the Martians as a human-controlled faction in his Aurora 1890 AAR, because the NPR AI is really only able to handle one kind of setup which is the default TN start which gives them the necessary research, ship classes, etc. to function, and that doesn't work well for an intra-system opponent in a conventional start.

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #49 on: January 03, 2024, 01:43:54 PM »
Did you place any weird restrictions on the NPR when creating them?

What kind of restrictions do you mean ? The customisation thing ? I didn't use that.
I generated the NPR using the spacemaster "create race" thing, after adjusting the atmosphere of Mars.

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #50 on: January 03, 2024, 01:50:08 PM »
Did you place any weird restrictions on the NPR when creating them?

What kind of restrictions do you mean ? The customisation thing ? I didn't use that.
I generated the NPR using the spacemaster "create race" thing, after adjusting the atmosphere of Mars.

An example from another recent bug report I remember is that a player deprived the NPR of their initial build points on race creation, which caused the NPR to be basically unable to function since the AI relies on its rather large starting fleet to do anything (e.g., it has issues with having fewer shipyards than ship classes).

Basically, my presumption is that you would want to make some change to the NPR starting setup so that a TN alien race doesn't just stomp on a bunch of low-tech human Earth races, and such changes could possibly lead to bugs resulting from the NPR inability to adapt.

Offline Louella

• Chief Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #51 on: January 03, 2024, 02:04:34 PM »
An example from another recent bug report I remember is that a player deprived the NPR of their initial build points on race creation, which caused the NPR to be basically unable to function since the AI relies on its rather large starting fleet to do anything (e.g., it has issues with having fewer shipyards than ship classes).
Basically, my presumption is that you would want to make some change to the NPR starting setup so that a TN alien race doesn't just stomp on a bunch of low-tech human Earth races, and such changes could possibly lead to bugs resulting from the NPR inability to adapt.

The only thing I remember is adjusting the Martians starting population, I don't think I altered their starting build points or tech points. (don't those have an unadjustable floor ?)
The Martians did have a larger start fleet, but a lot of it was shot down, and the warship in the game I linked, is of a class that they've designed and built recently.

Offline midikiman

• Petty Officer
  • m
« Reply #52 on: January 03, 2024, 05:21:57 PM »
A few years after a conventional start, the system auto-researches several ground unit types: Infantry, Anti-Tank Team, Infantry HQ, Resupply Infantry, and I think Anti-Air Team. Those unit types show up in the unit series tab, they have all the expected attributes, but they don't show up anywhere else. Formations cannot be designed with them, you still need to design additional ground unit types and research them manually before you can make formations. The game should either treat them like unit types you designed yourself, or not make them at all.

SJW: Not a bug. These are forces created for civilian mining colonies.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:19:44 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline nuclearslurpee

• Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #53 on: January 03, 2024, 05:24:21 PM »
A few years after a conventional start, the system auto-researches several ground unit types: Infantry, Anti-Tank Team, Infantry HQ, Resupply Infantry, and I think Anti-Air Team. Those unit types show up in the unit series tab, they have all the expected attributes, but they don't show up anywhere else. Formations cannot be designed with them, you still need to design additional ground unit types and research them manually before you can make formations. The game should either treat them like unit types you designed yourself, or not make them at all.

These are units generated by the civilian garrison formations for CMCs. You can access them by checking the "Show Civilian" box in the Formation Templates tab, which is also useful for letting you modify or upgrade the civilian garrison formation as your technology advances or as you design new units.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #54 on: January 03, 2024, 07:56:51 PM »
I gave an order to a group of fighters to follow a stationary contact at 10 million KM. However, for some reason the fighters stopped at 20 million KM away, instead.

Database provided in ZIP file

Edit: oh, might have been fixed for 2.5.1 already

SJW: Yes, fixed for v2.5.1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:20:05 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline Hari

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2024, 01:00:45 AM »
I gave an order to a group of fighters to follow a stationary contact at 10 million KM. However, for some reason the fighters stopped at 20 million KM away, instead.

Database provided in ZIP file

I think it is fixed for 2.5.1 as Steve wrote :

Fixed a bug that caused fleets to use double the minimum distance when intercepting a contact.

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2024, 01:44:27 AM »
Bug report: Gate Construction Ship is ignoring the "Exclude Alien Controlled" checkbox on the fleet movement screen when picking where to go for the standing order "Build Jump Gate at Nearest Jump Point".

To reproduce: In attached database, load Carrier Game. In the system "11 Cassiopeiae", there is the fleet Engineer 001. If you let ~8 hours pass, its standing order kicks in and the ship will jump into "Lambda Carinae", which is marked as controlled by an NPR on the galaxy map.

Usually "Exclude Alien Controlled" does prevent them from going in alien systems, so IDK why it is doing this.

SJW: Fixed for v2.5.1
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 03:54:53 AM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline ISN

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • I
« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2024, 06:19:04 PM »
Minor issue, but if you design a non-laser missile with a nonzero detonation range the game seems to actually use that detonation range, so short-range point defenses won't fire (although it still triggers a nuclear detonation event of the appropriate strength rather than an energy weapon impact). This is annoying mainly because if you accidentally design a non-laser missile with a nonzero detonation range (for instance if you just designed a laser missile in the same window), there's no way to tell in-game that the missile has a nonzero detonation range; I had to check the database.

Another minor annoyance is that loading a previously designed laser missile does not copy over the laser warhead designation or detonation range.

SJW: Both fixed for v2.5.1
« Last Edit: January 07, 2024, 12:32:19 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline captainwolfer

• Lt. Commander
  • c
« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2024, 07:01:51 PM »
Separating ships with damaged engines seems to not always be working:
In the provided save, in the "WX Ursae Majoris" system, I am fighting the Star Swarm. Earlier I let off a salvo of box launched missiles at a FAC swarm. There were at least 20 FAC that have working engines, but are in a fleet with FAC that have crippled engines, so they aren't going anywhere. As a result, I am able to just fly up and kill the still functional FACs, even though they should be able to chase me down.

It took me a while to realize, so I have been picking away at them for a while now with some cruisers, but I am confident that some of the FAC in the big group of 50 still have working engines, and thus shouldn't just be sitting there and letting me kill them

SJW: I have seen this too, but not tracked it down yet

Edit: Bug Report 2: I just realized that I have colliers in "Battle Fleet", but they aren't reloading my carriers, despite being set to "Load Fleet Ordnance". So that is also in the same system and save.

SJW: Do you have Underway Replenishment tech?
« Last Edit: January 08, 2024, 04:38:41 AM by Steve Walmsley »

The following users thanked this post: ISN

Offline dsedrez

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • d
« Reply #59 on: January 05, 2024, 11:41:10 AM »
Not sure if this was present before 2.5.

If you have an ancient construct on a colony, and that you build/bring research labs and pop before use xenoarcheology team, you will see the research bonus in your projets (if using the right field).

So you can deduce the field and bonus, and use them, with no need to xenoarch.

Yes it has been so for as long as I remember. However, using xenoarch troops will activate the construct, which, if I remember well, will increase the bonus, and will also give a smaller bonus outside the planet. I think if you have multiple active constructs of the same type their bonuses may add up this way (I think I've done so in an old game and noticed that).

The following users thanked this post: Hari