Author Topic: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?  (Read 263532 times)

Offline ExChairman

• Bronze Supporter
  • Commodore
  • E
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
Re: What's going on in your empire/planet/battlefield?
« Reply #1980 on: April 07, 2019, 02:27:00 AM »
Killed 81 of 88 ships in system... Now we are preparing the ground troops, 21 divisions, 2 marine, 12 Armored, 8 Mechanized divisions and 6 brigades of replacement troops, we "only" needs to gain entrance to their home system, only waiting for the new battleships that are being built...
Veni, Vedi, Volvo
"Granström"

Wargame player and Roleplayer for 33 years...

Offline Marski

• Commander
« Reply #1981 on: April 07, 2019, 02:36:07 AM »
ExChairman this isn't a chat program, try to summarize the events into as few posts as possible.

The following users thanked this post: Cavgunner

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #1982 on: April 07, 2019, 10:23:20 AM »
ExChairman this isn't a chat program, try to summarize the events into as few posts as possible.

Hi Marski,

Given that this is the "Chat" portion of the board, I try to give people a lot of leeway here from a moderation/relevance point of view.

Thanks, and have fun!
John

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1983 on: April 10, 2019, 09:26:59 AM »
Returning to Aurora after a few years I came across this interesting planet. My three survey cruisers found it about four jumps from Sol.

The first problem was the jump point was only 34m k from the cost 0 planet which was defended by 25 orbital bases.  They did have an Achillies heel, their missiles were only capable of 24,000k/s, while my fastest was able to go at 55,000k/s. Their energy tech was ahead of mine as they demonstrated when they destroyed one of my survey cruisers with strength 65 energy blasts. They also had 497 fighters which they used to destroy my second cruiser. I was able to kill about 150 fighters before falling to the missile barrage. The third cruiser was also engaged by the fighters but after killing another 120 fighters managed to duck into a newly discovered warp point.

I then blockaded the contact point with my systems. Fortunately they spend most of their mobile fleet trying to break the blockade. I then took 161 20,000 ton cruisers into their system. I attempted to engage their remaining mobile assets and the orbital bases, in that order, a mistake!

All was well until the missile storm came in. Turned out their size 1 missiles, while only capable of 24,000k/s had a range of 102m k. Since I was still sitting on the warp point the fleet jumped out. Leaving most of my missiles dependent on their internal guidance. Most of the 12,000 missiles I had launched were directed at the orbital bases, and while the bases killed many hundreds they could not kill them all and all the bases died. This still left a lot of missiles around the alien homeworld. Unfortunately for the aliens they brought their freighters, fighters and many of their remaining mobile assets to orbit the homeworld, were they died. It was as though I had placed an enormous mine field around their planet. If they had waited three hours the missiles would have self destructed, but they just didn't wait. If they had used their AMMs as AMMs they may well have survived as much of my missile inventory still contained 30,000k/s missiles. After a wait of an hour or so My fleet returned to the alien system and was able to clean up easily.

It was after the conquest of the planet I found the NPR had broken Aurora! I kept getting Populate shipyard Errors, divide by 0 etc. When I looked into it I found the planet had 314 Shipyards with 628 slipways and a capacity of 6,350,000 tons naval construction and 24.510,000 tons of commercial construction. When I looked at what they were building I found they had 160 x 10,000 ton destroyers, 53 x 20,000 ton cruisers, 97 x 30,000 ton battlecruisers, 12 x 50,000 carriers and 188 x 1000 ton FACs under construction in addition to 66 colony transports of 21,300 tons. Fortunately the new ice age caused by the destruction of their ground forces prevented any completing. Had this armada been completed I don't know whether I could have won as only 48 of my 161 cruisers were latest production and all the rest two or three generations old while I had yet to lay down my first carrier. To give some idea of the planetary economy I have under 3000 construction factories and 3000 mines, The aliens had 22,500 construction factories and over 33,000 mines (that's after bombardment casualties) and resources to match, not less than 1.4 million tons, most in excess of 2million tons and duranium being 16 million tons with availabilities to match.

The really sad thing is I fear the game is now broken, cannot get rid of the error message! Part of the problem appears to be that shipyard capacity does not match size of the ships being built. Even after conquest this is a problem.
IanD

The following users thanked this post: Garfunkel

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1984 on: April 10, 2019, 10:56:08 AM »
Returning to Aurora after a few years I came across this interesting planet. My three survey cruisers found it about four jumps from Sol.

The first problem was the jump point was only 34m k from the cost 0 planet which was defended by 25 orbital bases.  They did have an Achillies heel, their missiles were only capable of 24,000k/s, while my fastest was able to go at 55,000k/s. Their energy tech was ahead of mine as they demonstrated when they destroyed one of my survey cruisers with strength 65 energy blasts. They also had 497 fighters which they used to destroy my second cruiser. I was able to kill about 150 fighters before falling to the missile barrage. The third cruiser was also engaged by the fighters but after killing another 120 fighters managed to duck into a newly discovered warp point.

I then blockaded the contact point with my systems. Fortunately they spend most of their mobile fleet trying to break the blockade. I then took 161 20,000 ton cruisers into their system. I attempted to engage their remaining mobile assets and the orbital bases, in that order, a mistake!

All was well until the missile storm came in. Turned out their size 1 missiles, while only capable of 24,000k/s had a range of 102m k. Since I was still sitting on the warp point the fleet jumped out. Leaving most of my missiles dependent on their internal guidance. Most of the 12,000 missiles I had launched were directed at the orbital bases, and while the bases killed many hundreds they could not kill them all and all the bases died. This still left a lot of missiles around the alien homeworld. Unfortunately for the aliens they brought their freighters, fighters and many of their remaining mobile assets to orbit the homeworld, were they died. It was as though I had placed an enormous mine field around their planet. If they had waited three hours the missiles would have self destructed, but they just didn't wait. If they had used their AMMs as AMMs they may well have survived as much of my missile inventory still contained 30,000k/s missiles. After a wait of an hour or so My fleet returned to the alien system and was able to clean up easily.

It was after the conquest of the planet I found the NPR had broken Aurora! I kept getting Populate shipyard Errors, divide by 0 etc. When I looked into it I found the planet had 314 Shipyards with 628 slipways and a capacity of 6,350,000 tons naval construction and 24.510,000 tons of commercial construction. When I looked at what they were building I found they had 160 x 10,000 ton destroyers, 53 x 20,000 ton cruisers, 97 x 30,000 ton battlecruisers, 12 x 50,000 carriers and 188 x 1000 ton FACs under construction in addition to 66 colony transports of 21,300 tons. Fortunately the new ice age caused by the destruction of their ground forces prevented any completing. Had this armada been completed I don't know whether I could have won as only 48 of my 161 cruisers were latest production and all the rest two or three generations old while I had yet to lay down my first carrier. To give some idea of the planetary economy I have under 3000 construction factories and 3000 mines, The aliens had 22,500 construction factories and over 33,000 mines (that's after bombardment casualties) and resources to match, not less than 1.4 million tons, most in excess of 2million tons and duranium being 16 million tons with availabilities to match.

The really sad thing is I fear the game is now broken, cannot get rid of the error message! Part of the problem appears to be that shipyard capacity does not match size of the ships being built. Even after conquest this is a problem.

Could you go into the DB and delete the NPR shipyard tasks?

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1985 on: April 10, 2019, 01:28:09 PM »

Thanks for the idea Steve.
Unfortunately the post conquest DB did not have any NPR shipyard tasks and while the pre-conquest DB did, deleting them had no effect upon conquest. It is unfortunate the interrupt occurs at the end of turn and the turn never stops.
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1986 on: April 10, 2019, 01:47:48 PM »

Thanks for the idea Steve.
Unfortunately the post conquest DB did not have any NPR shipyard tasks and while the pre-conquest DB did, deleting them had no effect upon conquest. It is unfortunate the interrupt occurs at the end of turn and the turn never stops.

Could you tell me the exact error?

Was it for PopulateShipyardComplexes or PopulateShipyardTasks?

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1987 on: April 10, 2019, 03:15:16 PM »

The exact error was:   Error in populate shipyard complexes
                                 Error 11 was generated by Aurora
                                 Division by zero
                                 Please report to etc.

IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1988 on: April 10, 2019, 06:03:15 PM »

The exact error was:   Error in populate shipyard complexes
                                 Error 11 was generated by Aurora
                                 Division by zero
                                 Please report to etc.

I can see two possible divide by zero errors in that section, both of which are related to shipyard upgrade tasks. One division is by the required BP for a task, which seems unlikely to be zero. The other division is for the modification rate of the shipyard. If the planet has been hit really hard, the radiation may have reduced that to zero. You can fix that in the DB by removing the shipyard upgrade task. In the Shipyard table set TaskType, RequiredBP and CompletedBP to zero for the affected shipyards.

The only problem might be if the AI tries to recreate the tasks. In that case, un-clicking the AutoManage field in the Population table might be the answer.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1989 on: April 11, 2019, 05:23:48 AM »
Well that changed things a little the error now is:  Error in populate shipyard complexes
                                                                        Error 6 was generated by Aurora
                                                                        Overflow
                                                                        Please report to etc.

I was a little enthusiastic when I eliminated the alien ground forces. When I conquered the planet radiation had reduced industrial production to -99.96. This has now improved to -99.83!

EDIT on running the time on the error now is:  Error in Production
                                                                    Overflow
                                                                    Please report to etc.

I suspect this is due to the radiation effects.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 05:31:22 AM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1990 on: April 11, 2019, 05:27:08 AM »
Well that changed things a little the error now is:  Error in populate shipyard complexes
                                                                        Overflow
                                                                        Please report to etc.

I was a little enthusiastic when I eliminated the alien ground forces. When I conquered the planet radiation had reduced industrial production to -99.96. This has now improved to -99.83!

Hope you weren't planing to live there any time soon :)

I am at work at the moment - will check on the new error when I get home this evening.

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
« Reply #1991 on: April 11, 2019, 05:59:09 AM »
Good news, after the final series of error 6 messages Aurora is now running as well as it ever did. Thanks for the help Steve. The moral is don't nuke the aliens so hard in future!   ;D

Out of interest how could the alien planet build such large ships without the shipyard capacity?

Now I have retired looking forward to C# Aurora to fill my empty days (apart from when I am the family taxi service). :-\
« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:02:14 AM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #1992 on: April 11, 2019, 06:38:58 AM »
Good news, after the final series of error 6 messages Aurora is now running as well as it ever did. Thanks for the help Steve. The moral is don't nuke the aliens so hard in future!   ;D

Out of interest how could the alien planet build such large ships without the shipyard capacity?

Now I have retired looking forward to C# Aurora to fill my empty days (apart from when I am the family taxi service). :-\

In VB6 Aurora, the starting alien forces are not calculated in line with SY capacity.

In C# Aurora, NPRs have to retool shipyards so the starting shipyards and starting designs are aligned. The AI usually has fewer shipyards than designs. Once it stops producing a design because it has enough of that type, the SY tooled to those designs become available for retooling to a different (and in-demand) design.

Offline Resident Evil

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • R
« Reply #1993 on: April 24, 2019, 02:58:08 PM »
Squatters in Sol  :o (See attachment)

For some reason my ally has decided to maintain a significant number of warships in Sol for the last god knows how many years. I forget how long we've been allies for - it was a bit of an accident. When I found the first world of theirs I was going to drop troops on it and capture it - I was thwarted though by not having jump drives on my troop transports - oops.

We've probably been allied 20+ years now, but I just don't know what they're doing in Sol with such a fleet. I'm still building planetary missile complex's, but even now I could probably blow them out of the sky - if they start slowing the game down I'll be very tempted  ;D

ZG

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #1994 on: April 27, 2019, 12:32:43 PM »

I agree with you.  I don't want to discourage anyone's enthusiasm, but so many small updates would be better suited to the user's own fiction thread (I have received this same advice and it turned out fine).