Author Topic: Can someone brief me on POWS?  (Read 4078 times)

Offline Havan_IronOak (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
Can someone brief me on POWS?
« on: February 03, 2016, 12:51:54 PM »
There's not much in the wiki and I recently stumbled on some POWS (Prisoners of war?) on one of the moons of Jupiter in my first game.

What can be done with them? Rescue? Interrogation? I'm intrigued.

I'm using a conventional start and haven't even developed any cryo tech yet.
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: Can someone brief me on POWS?
« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2016, 02:51:14 PM »
Prisoners are only useful once and only when you have them as captives on board a ship, from there you can drop them off at any colony you wish. Once at a colony they will open up a new research project that will allow you to see the full racial details regarding species tolerances for the race they belong to, after that they just sit as prisoners on the colony and do nothing more.

The way it works though can leave you with some problems from an RP standpoint, if you have a colony set up as a your main research base or you happen to keep all of your research on your homeworld. You now have the issue of also suddenly having prison camps and the like on those worlds, personally I prefer to create specific penal colonies where all prisoners are unloaded too. Since the cost for the race project is only 5000rp then you can normally get away with just keeping a small number of research facilities there for that project alone.

But you do need to think carefully before unloading prisoners to any colony as once they are there that is where they will stay forever. You cannot move them by any means and the only thing that will remove them is the removal of the colony itself. Think of them sort of like a team but unable to be picked up, they sit outside the normal things that effect the general population such as colony cost, radiation etc. I generally have a habit of creating a penal colony on the closest object to a gas giant with a large amount of sorium, that way my fuel harvesters choose that colony as a place to dump fuel off to. Who doesn't want a piece of cold dark real estate as a dilithium mine with prison labour?

The following users thanked this post: Mor

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2016, 03:03:31 PM »
cheap armour plating, though VERY VERY ablative
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline drejr

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • d
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2016, 12:06:19 AM »
Prisoners are only useful once and only when you have them as captives on board a ship, from there you can drop them off at any colony you wish. Once at a colony they will open up a new research project that will allow you to see the full racial details regarding species tolerances for the race they belong to, after that they just sit as prisoners on the colony and do nothing more.

The way it works though can leave you with some problems from an RP standpoint, if you have a colony set up as a your main research base or you happen to keep all of your research on your homeworld. You now have the issue of also suddenly having prison camps and the like on those worlds, personally I prefer to create specific penal colonies where all prisoners are unloaded too. Since the cost for the race project is only 5000rp then you can normally get away with just keeping a small number of research facilities there for that project alone.

But you do need to think carefully before unloading prisoners to any colony as once they are there that is where they will stay forever. You cannot move them by any means and the only thing that will remove them is the removal of the colony itself. Think of them sort of like a team but unable to be picked up, they sit outside the normal things that effect the general population such as colony cost, radiation etc. I generally have a habit of creating a penal colony on the closest object to a gas giant with a large amount of sorium, that way my fuel harvesters choose that colony as a place to dump fuel off to. Who doesn't want a piece of cold dark real estate as a dilithium mine with prison labour?

Where do prisoners appear? I always assumed they disappeared into the ether.

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2016, 01:24:07 AM »

When you board a ship successfully that ship should have them on board once you take control, look on the parasites/cargo tab of that ship on the F6 ship screen. You can then either use that ship to drop them off somewhere (or space them), or as I prefer to do bring alongside a much larger dedicated warship that has the ability to deal with prisoners in a brig until they can be offloaded at a penal colony.

Offline drejr

• d
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2016, 01:38:05 AM »
I know that. In fact, I rescued some hapless civilians from a spoiler last night. (Interesting fact: Aliens don't bother unloading prisoners.) I think I was confused by your post. If POWs only exist in your imagination after they're dumped, surely you can move them wherever you want, throwing in suitable move orders for a rickety colony ship if so desired. RP is very much to each his own, though.

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2016, 03:08:47 AM »

I'm assuming that you can rescue them if you destroy an alien vessel. The ones that caused me to ask were already on one of Saturn's moons that I decided to colonize. Now they show up in the colony screen in the POWs box.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2016, 06:00:43 AM by Havan_IronOak »
Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe

Offline drejr

• d
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2016, 03:29:02 AM »
You learn something new every day. I guess that's what I get for playing with reduced height windows for two years.  :-[

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2016, 10:51:26 AM »
OK Still in my first play through so forgive the ignorance.

I'm still not really "getting" the POWs thing.

I established a colony on Europa and even assigned a governor (so he'd start levelling up his skills)

When I went to send a Ground based Geo-Survey team there I noticed that there were POWS in the POW box on the right hand side of the Colony Display's Teams tab
407 POWs (from unknown race)
5 POWs (from unknown race)
7 POWs (from unknown race)

Wanting to capitalize on this, and lacking anything else for them to do I assembled a team of my 5 best diplomats and set up a diplomatic team on the colony as well. I'm now getting levelling up messages on the diplomats but nothing else (not that that's bad - skilled diplomats will be good later, yes? My 5 man team now has a diplomatic value of 205 after about a year

I'm wondering if assembling teams of Xenologists and an Espionage team wouldn't also level up quickly if I sent them there.

Will any of them do anything else? e.g. develop points toward understanding the races, or learn a language perhaps?

Another moon I'm looking at has POWs as well only this time there are 1293 of them. Again, an unknown race.
Does the number of POWs have any impact on results?
« Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 10:57:55 AM by Havan_IronOak »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2016, 11:18:14 AM »
Is there a ruin there?

If so, I believe this is a bug that Steve is aware of. If not... no clue then.

Offline drejr

• d
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 08:01:35 PM »
It's almost certainly a bug. I have the exact same situation (right down to the numbers) on a geosurvey team colony.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2016, 02:48:23 PM »
It's almost certainly a bug. I have the exact same situation (right down to the numbers) on a geosurvey team colony.

Yes, it is a bug - fixed for v7.2.