Author Topic: Crusade - Comments Thread  (Read 44248 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Crusade - Comments Thread
« Reply #255 on: February 04, 2020, 08:27:20 AM »
The second of three posts for today
A troop transport waiting in orbit unloaded four Ordo Xenos and four Ordos Machinum formations. The four regiments of the Catachan Jungle Fighters remained on the planet as a garrison, while the rest of the assault force was loaded on four Cetaceous class troop transports to begin the long journey back to Terra, where they would absorb replacements and new equipment. The Expeditionary Fleet remained in orbit for the moment to cover the forthcoming planetary survey and provide protection against any hitherto undetected Necron forces in the system.

After reading this I was, waiting for updates on how Ground Forces are managed/upgraded. But as you are planning to start the next test campaign waiting is not an option, so I was wondering
if you have implemented a system for managing reinforcement/upgrades of Ground Fores Formations jet.  Also see my suggestion

So far, I have been adding new units as reinforcements, usually the latest versions. So some armoured regiments have a mix of Leman Russ and Leman Russ II battle tanks for example while some Imperial Guard infantry regiments have some guardsmen with a later version of the 'lasgun'. Some successful regiments have been given extra units while in other cases, a regiment is broken up to reinforce others. Finally, I have been producing 'replacement' formations, which are used as reinforcements for the main formations. It feels very organic in that way because real-world formations in a war will rarely be 'standard'.

There is no 'upgrade this regiment to this TOE' command, at least not for the moment. I haven't missed that option though or it would be coded by now.

Offline Kristover

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • K
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #256 on: February 04, 2020, 08:49:41 AM »
Steve,

Just throwing it out there because I spent a career in the US Army Division level, we do direct replacements into formations during peace time but in war time, most Divisions have a 'Replacement Company' for troops and usually some sort of intermediate formation at the Corps level for vehicles and systems that need to be replaced.  The reason why the system is designed this way is in the event of large sustained operations with huge casualty accounts/equipment loss, there would be a need to prioritize replacements and especially given distances involved, it would get complicated quick.

Basically I'm saying the idea you arrived at with replacement formations isn't an unprecedented or even particularly gamey way to replicate this.  In my future games, I would just self-discipline to never allow the replacement formation to fight as an actual front-line organization.

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #257 on: February 06, 2020, 05:39:44 PM »
So, with the new campaign being set up, is this one officially over or are you planning to run both in parallel/take it into hiatus ?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #258 on: February 07, 2020, 05:36:22 AM »
I'm leaving it saved at the moment, so it is possible I could come back to it. Historically, I've never done that though. Probably more likely that I start a similar campaign at some point.

Offline The Forbidden

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • T
« Reply #259 on: February 07, 2020, 09:52:24 AM »
Okay. Fair enough. That's kind of too bad honestly, your campaigns rarely go on for long enough to have actual PvE conflict resolutions.

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #260 on: February 07, 2020, 07:46:06 PM »
I eagerly await the return of Ny-Ghrr and his borderline-incompetent efforts at Preservation.  Mongols & Romans & Vikings, oh my!

Yes, that was a fun background :)

I'll revisit that at some point, but for now I'll probably just have a single race for speed of setup purposes. Maybe Isle of Man takes over the world :)

Poor Ny-Ghrr.  Will he never get to visit the hibernation chamber of the female with the particularly attractive head-frills?

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #261 on: February 08, 2020, 05:37:24 AM »
I eagerly await the return of Ny-Ghrr and his borderline-incompetent efforts at Preservation.  Mongols & Romans & Vikings, oh my!

Yes, that was a fun background :)

I'll revisit that at some point, but for now I'll probably just have a single race for speed of setup purposes. Maybe Isle of Man takes over the world :)

Poor Ny-Ghrr.  Will he never get to visit the hibernation chamber of the female with the particularly attractive head-frills?

I just remembered I actually finished the Ny-Ghrr story outside of the campaign :)

I'll see if I can find it.

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #262 on: February 08, 2020, 05:47:22 AM »
Here is the completed tale of Ny-Ghrr :)

Ny-Ghrr waddled hurriedly along the outer cloister of the Temple of Omnipotence, his ponderous bulk swaying from side to side. As usual, he was late for his audience with the High Keeper and Mu-Thron was overly concerned about punctuality. Why the High Keeper had forbidden teleportation within the Temple was a mystery to Ny-Ghrr but, as far as he was concerned, if the Seven Gods had meant for him to walk, they would have given him stronger ambulatory appendages. By the time he finally arrived in the great hall, he was flustered and exhausted in equal measure and cowered under Mu-Thron’s stern visage.
   “I see you have finally graced me with your presence, Ny-Ghrr. I assume this is because you worked throughout the night on producing a most impressive report on the primitive planet on the outer edge of the Dygarh Spiral Arm?” Mu-Thron’s tertiary auditory sensors leaned forward to lend an unmistakable degree of sarcasm to his question.
   “It is as you say, Exalted One,” replied Ny-Ghrr, cringing at the foot of the steps leading up to the High Keeper’s throne and hoping Mu-Thron would not ask to see the report that consisted of two sheets of parchment and constituted a hurried ten minutes work. “I am happy to provide a verbal summary if you so desire”
   “No doubt I would be bored into hibernation by the time I read your report anyway, if it is as exciting as the previous ones. Present your summary.”
   “The planet has a single, laterally symmetrical, bipedal species that could be classed as fully sentient, although they have very limited technology. There is evidence of cultural activity such as art, basic musical composition and some diversity of architecture.”
   “Any sign of militancy or violent behaviour?”
   Ny-Ghrr paused for a moment, well aware that his few minutes of study could not provide conclusive proof of the non-violent behaviour that was a pre-requisite for species preservation, but also conscious that reporting such a lack of knowledge would reveal his laziness to Mu-Thron. A very unpleasant prospect. Besides, he hadn’t seen anything suspicious in the few holographic images from the remote space-time viewer that he had bothered to examine closely.
   “No, Exalted One, they appear to be a very peaceful race.”
   “Very well. They seem to meet the necessary requirements and I have no wish to spend any more time on this distraction. When will their extinction take place?”
   “Three days, Exalted One.”
   “And they do not know of their impending demise?”
   “Their sensory devices are most limited and they will only realise a black hole is moving through their system in the hours before their planet is torn apart by gravitational flux.”
   Mu-Thron lifted his sceptre and adopted a bored expression. “Junior Keeper Ny-Ghrr, you are hereby instructed to carry out a Preservation Order on species 7392.”
   Ny-Ghrr bowed. “Thank you, Exalted One. Should I include temporal preservation?”
   “If you wish. Now begone, I have important matters to attend to.”
   Ny-Ghrr waddled away backwards, bowing until he reached the archway to the inner cloister.

Back in his office and floating in his anti-gravity field, Ny-Ghrr quickly reviewed his data on the planet in question. According to regulations, his duty was to carry out a thorough examination of species 7392 and select samples of its most highly developed cultural societies for preservation. However, he had agreed to meet Cha-Yurr, a most attractive female, before the setting of the second moon and his already limited chance of visiting her hibernation chamber would be reduced to zero if he was late again.
   As the preservation order was for a primitive species, he instructed his office AI to run a temporal search for dominant societies throughout the history of the planet and to preserve a section of each. As there was no evidence of violence, albeit from a very limited sample, the dominant societies would surely be those that were culturally the most sophisticated. To avoid the problems occasionally associated with bringing together societies with different temporal coordinates, all the samples would be sent to different planets within a remote galaxy and provided with sufficient resources to maintain their society. His task complete, Ny-Ghrr activated the teleporter and arrived in Cha-Yurr’s living quarters on time. A most remarkable achievement for the Junior Keeper.

In his hurry, Ny-Ghrr forgot to add the necessary parameters for the type of resources to be provided to the preserved societies. The AI therefore fell back on the default package of assistance for a newly preserved society. Each society was provided with a suitable number of automated factories, deep-core mines and orbital shipyards, based on their population, to allow them to exploit the resources of their new worlds and expand into space. The AI interfaced with the telepathic scanner on the remote space-time viewer to investigate the mental processes of species 7392 and quickly realised their primitive science had insufficient knowledge to make full use of the default assistance package.    As part of the AI’s base programming was to make things happen as smoothly as possible, it painlessly added to every member of the preserved societies the skills required to operate their new facilities as well as the understanding of the science behind them. Once they awoke in their new home, they would be ready to expand their culture throughout a new galaxy. The AI did notice that this particular species had a far more violent history than any other preserved species, but Ny-Ghrr had not set any restrictions, so the AI proceeded as instructed.

"You summoned me, Exalted One," Ny-Ghrr mumbled, as he carefully studied the mosaic floor tiling of the great hall
   "As I recall, you reported  that species 7392 showed no sign of militancy or violent behaviour. Is that correct?" Mu-Thron's tone was suspiciously reasonable.
   "Yes, Exalted One."
   "Then why have fourteen planets been destroyed in a war between the…" Mu-Thron paused for a moment to consult a parchment report, " …the Third Reich and the Mongol Empire?"
   Ny-Ghrr's respiration increased rapidly and his ventral tentacle began twitching uncontrollably. Although regulations stated that he conduct a post-preservation review of species 7392, he had been spending far too much time in the Temple of Eternal Gratification of late and his work was suffering even more than usual. He grasped at a sudden idea.
   "A fault in the preservation process perhaps? There was the incident with species 6126 when a high-energy particle trapped in the preservation matrix caused their integument to become transparent."
   Even Mu-Thron shuddered at that memory. Species 6126 was disgusting enough even when their skin was opaque. Casting the momentary distraction aside, he glared at the cringing junior keeper.
   "Given the unique nature of that incident and the regularity of your incompetence, I believe it is far more likely that the latter is the cause of the disruption. According to these reports, there are several more wars in progress between the supposedly non-violent cultures of species 7392. Fix the problem. Immediately!"

Ny-Ghrr lay among Cha-Yurr's primary manipulative tentacles, relating the details of his difficult day at the office. Cha-Yurr purred sympathetically and began massaging the tension out of his eyestalks. As he began to relax, Ny-Ghrr was struck by a sudden burst of inspiration.
   "Don't you work in the Office of Temporal Modification?"
   "I do, but only in a very junior position." Ny-Ghrr realised Cha-Yurr's tentacles had stopped their soothing motion and she was looking at him with trepidation
   "I really need to borrow a Chronological Resequencer."
   "Ny-Ghrr that's not a good idea," she sighed, "Only supervisors are supposed to have access to those because of the dangers involved."
   "You know what Temporal Supervisors are like, always full of their own importance. Please, Cha-Yurr. My performance appraisal is due within two cycles and I think Mu-Thron is really upset this time." He wrapped his tentacles around her and mournfully lowered his eyestalks.

Ny-Ghrr was becoming more and more frustrated. Programming the Resequencer to undo the recent unfortunate events seemed like an ideal solution, but it was proving more complex than he expected, even with help from his AI. He couldn't remember the last time he had spent so long in his office. Cha-Yurr was not happy about borrowing the Resequencer without permission, so he didn't want to upset her further by being late for pre-hibernation ingestion. Finally, he decided the device was ready, despite the protestations of his over-cautious AI that more testing was required. He switched off the various safeties, activated the program and waited for the Resequencer to confirm the success of his modifications to the timeline.
   "Temporal paradox encountered. This universe has been terminated."
   Ny-Ghrr leaned forward, propped his secondary sensory organs on his primary manipulative tentacles and sulked. This was probably going to affect his chances of promotion.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #263 on: February 08, 2020, 07:11:38 AM »
It's a shame that forum move/transfer lost the original Preservation campaign but at least Preservation II is still readable.

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #264 on: March 07, 2020, 11:23:19 AM »
Just finished reading this AAR. Great stuff! Loved the battles especially, of course. Thank you for writing it!

Was really puzzled by the constant refits of older ship with new generations of technology, especially the engines and armor. In my 7.1 game, such refits cost almost as much as building a new ship. What am I missing here? O_o

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #265 on: March 07, 2020, 12:33:33 PM »
Just finished reading this AAR. Great stuff! Loved the battles especially, of course. Thank you for writing it!

Was really puzzled by the constant refits of older ship with new generations of technology, especially the engines and armor. In my 7.1 game, such refits cost almost as much as building a new ship. What am I missing here? O_o

Yes, some of the refits were costing 75% of the ship cost, although a little less than that for minerals. However, this is the Imperium and ships serve for thousands of years :)

The other factor that exists in C# and not VB6 is that additional ships require additional maintenance facilities and I was running close to capacity.

Offline L0ckAndL0ad

• Lieutenant
  • L
« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2020, 12:58:06 PM »
Yes, some of the refits were costing 75% of the ship cost, although a little less than that for minerals. However, this is the Imperium and ships serve for thousands of years :)

The other factor that exists in C# and not VB6 is that additional ships require additional maintenance facilities and I was running close to capacity.
Ah, yes, I expected RP to be a major factor.

As for capacity and maintenance, I'm really looking forward to start using the new system. Having to deal with MSP instead of minerals and be able to have "partial maintenance" basing changed my mind about having semi-permanent/rotating forces at distant colonies. Never used military bases away from the homeworld before, and now I actually want to!

Also liked the use of mass awarding of "Campaign Medals" in the form of Combat Ribbons! I had a great deal of trouble finding the correct officers to give the medals to previously.

The triumph at Procyon contrasted by a crushing defeat of Battlefleet Nostramo. Seeing 100k+ ton ship ambushing your fleet at jump point. Various boarding actions. Awesome stuff, really!