Author Topic: Enemy Missiles  (Read 1219 times)

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
Enemy Missiles
« on: June 29, 2010, 04:09:26 PM »
Just had all my combat craft destroyed by aliens the missiles they used showed as "Thermal 81x16 80,000km/s 298k (x2)". Can anyone explain what all these numbers mean so I can attempt to work on some kind of defense.

Offline Andrew

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Enemy Missiles
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2010, 05:07:07 PM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
Just had all my combat craft destroyed by aliens the missiles they used showed as "Thermal 81x16 80,000km/s 298k (x2)". Can anyone explain what all these numbers mean so I can attempt to work on some kind of defense.
[spoiler:fjf2ltm3]It was the invaders[/spoiler:fjf2ltm3] You only detected the missiles on Thermal suggesting the detecting ship has no resolution 0 active sensor turned on.  There where 16 of them, moving at 80,000kms which will stretch most point defense systems and they where detected at a range of 298k , it also looks like there where 2 salvo's of 16 suggestung 2 launch platforms.
Very dificult missiles to defend against as they are very fast

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #2 on: June 29, 2010, 05:21:02 PM »
Thanks for that I had sort of guessed but as with anything in Aurora I like to be sure.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 08:01:26 AM »
Those aren't missiles, they're Plasma Torpedoes.  They detect in a similiar manor to missiles and missile defense is the counter.  If you have big enough sensors to see them from farther away you'll see the thermal signature reduce as they approach.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Hyfrydle (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • H
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 08:13:46 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Those aren't missiles, they're Plasma Torpedoes.  They detect in a similiar manor to missiles and missile defense is the counter.  If you have big enough sensors to see them from farther away you'll see the thermal signature reduce as they approach.

Do you still need resolution 0 to detect them? It seemed that as soon as I detected them they hit.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:04:19 AM »
Quote from: "Hyfrydle"
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"

Do you still need resolution 0 to detect them? It seemed that as soon as I detected them they hit.

Yes.  Intercept is handled just the same as missiles.  If you don't have an active that can see the torp  the time cycle prior to the torp intercepting it's target point defense will not engage.  Same a missiles.  In the case of these torps that is at least 400k km's
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley