Author Topic: Siege of Jump Point: MineField?  (Read 1901 times)

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
  • Alpine Mountaineer..ohh Yeah!
Siege of Jump Point: MineField?
« on: August 19, 2008, 11:43:49 PM »
Minefield,Device for "close" an Jump Point,in Aurora Research this ivent show nothing.
Exist or not this capabilities?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by waresky »

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2008, 08:25:58 AM »
Mines do not currently exist in Aurora
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Charlie Beeler »
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline James Patten

• Lt. Commander
  • J
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2008, 09:03:16 AM »
Technically true, although I think you can build a missile with 0 engine and 0 fuel, which according to the missile builder window gives you something like 1 second of movement, enough for an ICBM-type missile (or a mine, I suppose).
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by James Patten »

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2008, 10:02:39 AM »
Quote from: "James Patten"
Technically true, although I think you can build a missile with 0 engine and 0 fuel, which according to the missile builder window gives you something like 1 second of movement, enough for an ICBM-type missile (or a mine, I suppose).

Don't forget that ships making a combat jump with a jumpship appear away from the jump point in random locations and distances, IIRC.  This would make short-ranged mines problematic.  

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2008, 12:14:02 PM »
An engineless armed fighter would about the closest to a mine under the current system.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2008, 03:14:56 PM »
truly strange..we have the most strange technology (microwave weapons) and we havent MINES?:)..
Some have never play at Traveller? or Space Empires V?
Mines are a crucial weapons system in a Jump defence...
otherwise,now,with a STUPID 6 hours subphase for IDIOTS Civilians message (and NOT all we can eliminate in a Event) am must pass 30 days period so ENEMY can EASY pass through ANY FLEET we can mass in a jump point without warning or "stop times in contact Event"..

STEVE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Pls in 3.2 setup a "STOP ANY advance time" when a ALIENS contact come. Please.

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
(No subject)
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2008, 05:13:38 PM »
Quote from: "James Patten"

I made a suggestion a while ago (see the post here - http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?t=940&start=75 ) to have another type of engine that was much less powerful and had a _low_ fuel consumption (and so long endurance).

That way, you put it in a missile with self-seeking sensors, and you have a semi-fixed mine (similar to the US's CAPTOR mines). (For information on the CAPTOR, here's Wikipedia's blurb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTOR_mine )
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MWadwell »
Later,
Matt

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2008, 02:38:59 PM »
OKOk..BUT MINES r universal used in good strategical games (as Space Empires V)..

Whynot in Aurora?
Or Satellite,armed or not?
r same structural project i think.

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2008, 09:26:33 AM »
Waresky,

I think the easy short answer is that several of us are best described as 'former' players of Starfire 3rdR.  In that version of Starfire, warp point defenses dominated by minefields after certain tech level.  Serveral players (IIRC including Steve) wanted to get away from minefield/static warfare and back to manouver warfare.

Offline waresky (OP)

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2008, 02:29:27 PM »
Ok,topic end.

Offline MWadwell

• Commander
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: August 23, 2008, 10:12:40 AM »
Quote from: "Charlie Beeler"
Waresky,

I think the easy short answer is that several of us are best described as 'former' players of Starfire 3rdR.  In that version of Starfire, warp point defenses dominated by minefields after certain tech level.  Serveral players (IIRC including Steve) wanted to get away from minefield/static warfare and back to manouver warfare.

Personally, I would like a method for mines to be included, as it also opens the door to sensor and comms bouys.

BUT! This would make missiles more powerful (as a weapon system) - which I view as a problem. As Steve is the one developing the game, I'm happy to leave the choice to him (now that he is aware that there is interest out there for this system.....)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by MWadwell »
Later,
Matt

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: August 23, 2008, 10:36:20 AM »
Quote from: "MWadwell"
I made a suggestion a while ago (see the post here - http://aurora.pentarch.org/viewtopic.php?t=940&start=75 ) to have another type of engine that was much less powerful and had a _low_ fuel consumption (and so long endurance).

That way, you put it in a missile with self-seeking sensors, and you have a semi-fixed mine (similar to the US's CAPTOR mines). (For information on the CAPTOR, here's Wikipedia's blurb: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CAPTOR_mine )

Yes, I really liked that suggestion. Something along these lines would fit in with the internal consistency of the game and provide a mine suitable for some type of fixed defence. I need to spend sometime thinking about the mechanics. Unfortunately, I have little free time at the moment due to an imminent house move so I haven't been able to devote much time to Aurora lately. I will work my way through all the outstanding messages when I get time and then start working on some of these ideas.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »