Author Topic: Windows 7 installation issues  (Read 16000 times)

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
Windows 7 installation issues
« on: October 26, 2009, 09:25:53 PM »
I want to put this here so it is easy for people to find.

When trying to open the System View page you may run into a problem with 'msstdfmt.dll'.

I found two things that you can supposedly do when this happens:

1. find a LEGIT and SAFE copy of the file and dump it in your Aurora folder
2. find a LEGIT and SAFE copy of the file place it in your 'c:\windows\system32' folder and then run 'regsvr32' on the file from a cmd prompt

Unfortunately, neither of these worked for me in the end.

What I finally got to work was installing Office2003! I also think that installing VB6 might cover it too, but I never tried that and I only mention it as an alternative because I think it is free?

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Windows 7 installation issues
« Reply #1 on: October 26, 2009, 11:51:50 PM »
I was having identical issues with my install on Vista, I had it working fine, then for various reasons deleted my game directory (where the dll was) and couldnt get it working again.  I have found however that not all copies of the file are the same, the one I had that worked with Vista wouldnt work on XP and visa versa, Later this week I'm going to try an install on 7 and see what version of the file that likes
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2009, 11:19:26 AM »
I can't really help with this problem I am afraid. I still using XP64 on my development machine and XP Pro on my games machine. I haven't even used Vista yet, let alone Windows 7. I am something of a luddite at times with software :)

Steve

Offline Beersatron (OP)

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2009, 12:30:52 PM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"
I can't really help with this problem I am afraid. I still using XP64 on my development machine and XP Pro on my games machine. I haven't even used Vista yet, let alone Windows 7. I am something of a luddite at times with software :)

Steve

I think you can bundle the dll with your full installation, but in my research I did find what boggo mentioned - there are sometimes 32bit and 64bit versions of a dll and the 32bit wont work on a new 64bit installation.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 29, 2009, 04:03:50 PM »
OK, got Aurora working nice on 64-bit Windows 7, all you need to do is install as per usual, and copy a 64-bit version of msstdfmt.dll into the aurora directory, AND run Aurora as administrator, this works on 64-bit Vista as well, I've attached the file that I'm using (hope thats ok)

Oh and if you put the dll in the game directory don't use regsvr32 to register it!
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline jfelten

• Lieutenant
  • j
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2009, 04:00:20 AM »
Quote from: "Steve Walmsley"

Steve

I think most of us are very thankful for your Ludditeism Steve.  I strongly suspect it is a lot easier for people with vista/7 etc. to get XP software working than the other way around.

Offline Trajan

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2010, 07:31:18 PM »
Quote from: "boggo2300"
OK, got Aurora working nice on 64-bit Windows 7, all you need to do is install as per usual, and copy a 64-bit version of msstdfmt.dll into the aurora directory, AND run Aurora as administrator, this works on 64-bit Vista as well, I've attached the file that I'm using (hope thats ok)

Oh and if you put the dll in the game directory don't use regsvr32 to register it!

Did all that, and the 713 error comes up when I use F9. Using Win 7 64 bit.

Offline Trajan

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • T
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2010, 08:05:47 PM »
Never mind. I downloaded and installed a little program called "Simple Shutdown Timer" which has that dll. http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-shutdown-timer
 Now, F9 works.

Offline AndonSage

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • A
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2010, 06:21:17 AM »
Quote from: Trajan
Never mind. I downloaded and installed a little program called "Simple Shutdown Timer" which has that dll. http://www.pcwintech.com/simple-shutdown-timer
 Now, F9 works.
I was getting the 713 error on MSSTDFMT.DLL and used your suggestion and it worked just fine. Thanks  :)
BTW, did you try un-installing the Simple Shutdown Timer and see if Aurora still doesn't generate the error? Just wondering.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:01:21 PM by Erik Luken »
"You can have peace. Or you can have freedom. Don't ever count on having both at once." - Robert A. Heinlein
"Just because you do not take an interest in politics doesn't mean politics won't take an interest in you!" - Pericles (430 B.C.)
"A government big enough to give you everyt

Offline Starkiller

• Lt. Commander
  • S
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2010, 11:32:26 PM »
Yeah, I uninstalled the Timer and Aurora still worked.  :)
« Last Edit: October 25, 2010, 06:00:47 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline bulletstop

• Leading Rate
  • b
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2010, 04:47:56 PM »
That did it for me, thanks.

Bullet

Offline shalis

• Leading Rate
  • s
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2010, 07:13:46 PM »
 Now, F9 works.

I love you  ;D

and you too Steve for killing away countless hours of my time, thank you for a great game.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #12 on: September 28, 2010, 06:51:11 AM »
I just upgraded my PC and I am now running Aurora on Windows 7, albeit in the VB6 dev environment. The taskbar preview feature of Win7 is very useful for Aurora. One slight problem that I haven't figured out yet is that Windows keeps changing the default directory so every time I start the program it can't find the Access DB. Eventually I added a line of code to set the right directory but that won't work out so well for everyone else :) I assume this can't be a problem for the exe file though or every Win7 user would have it. I'll need to sort it out before v5.30 :)

Steve

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2010, 07:09:46 AM »
I just upgraded my PC and I am now running Aurora on Windows 7, albeit in the VB6 dev environment. The taskbar preview feature of Win7 is very useful for Aurora. One slight problem that I haven't figured out yet is that Windows keeps changing the default directory so every time I start the program it can't find the Access DB. Eventually I added a line of code to set the right directory but that won't work out so well for everyone else :) I assume this can't be a problem for the exe file though or every Win7 user would have it. I'll need to sort it out before v5.30 :)

Steve

I'm not a Windows power user in a any flavor, but.... have you tried making an ODBC entry for your database?  I needed to do this when I switched to OpenOffice so that it knew where to find the Access version of Stevefire.  I'm still in XP Pro, so I don't know if this is still in Win7.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2012, 01:20:14 PM »
 Now, F9 works.

Sweet trick, thanks, works flawlessly!