Author Topic: Windows 7 and Vista Issues  (Read 49691 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Windows 7 and Vista Issues
« on: December 06, 2009, 09:51:42 PM »
The v4.75 patch is now superseded but I will leave this as a placeholder because of the discussion on Windows 7 in this thread

Steve

Offline WHCnelson

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
Re: Patch for v4.75
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2009, 12:58:53 PM »
If I use this on my windows 7 PC will it overwrite what I have in the programs folder?

Offline Steve Walmsley (OP)

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2009, 01:43:35 PM »
Quote from: "WHCnelson"
If I use this on my windows 7 PC will it overwrite what I have in the programs folder?
Unfortunately I have no idea on Windows 7. I am still using XP64. If anyone else is familiar with Windows 7 could they answer this question please.

Steve

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2009, 01:58:17 PM »
I was having (rage) issues trying to copy and paste with having Aurora in my program files directory so I just installed it into another partition.

Somebody mentioned that if you do not have partitions then you can install it in the 'my documents' part since you will then have unfettered access to copy and paste.

You should go ahead and try to copy/paste the new exe into Aurora and then run it to check the version number. Never know, it might work.

There might be another workaround, but I can't remember what the button is called at the top of the File Explorer - it has something to do with 'backup' I think. You can try to copy/paste the new exe into here and then copy/paste from the backup folder to the program files folder.

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2009, 03:48:31 PM »
I just unzip to the folder I dowload the patches to, then copy paste and overwrite into the Program files Aurora folder, and let UAC elevate permissions.  Haven't had any problems at all doing it like this.

Matt
The boggosity of the universe tends towards maximum.

Offline Beersatron

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2009, 04:38:51 PM »
Quote from: "boggo2300"
I just unzip to the folder I dowload the patches to, then copy paste and overwrite into the Program files Aurora folder, and let UAC elevate permissions.  Haven't had any problems at all doing it like this.

Matt

That never works for me, the DB doesn't get overwritten and neither does the exe. I double checked by opening the DB and checking the version ingame after the paste and after clicking to confirm the overwrite as 'admin'.

I even turned down UAC a level but still  :evil:

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2009, 06:02:47 PM »
Quote from: "Beersatron"

Matt

That never works for me, the DB doesn't get overwritten and neither does the exe. I double checked by opening the DB and checking the version ingame after the paste and after clicking to confirm the overwrite as 'admin'.

Weird, I've never had an issue, what if you delete the target exe and db first?  I was originally doing that (but got lazy the last couple of updates and have had no issues)

Matt

Offline sloanjh

• Global Moderator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2009, 10:25:03 PM »

Matt

I think I remember lots of Vista people having this problem when it first came out, but I don't remember what the fix was.  I think it was some sort of protection thing, but that might be what you meant by the UAC....

Sorry not to be of more help....

John

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2009, 12:15:38 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"

Matt

I think I remember lots of Vista people having this problem when it first came out, but I don't remember what the fix was.  I think it was some sort of protection thing, but that might be what you meant by the UAC....

Sorry not to be of more help....

John

Yeah UAC was a bit dumber in vista, which is why you had to delete the originals and copy fresh ones in, but I seem to be getting away without doing that in 7

Matt

Offline yoshyusmc

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • y
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2010, 11:30:00 PM »
I don't mean to be an arse, but why don't you just turn UAC off?

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2010, 09:52:55 AM »
Quote from: "yoshyusmc"
This is what I did to install Aurora on my new Windows 7 laptop I turned UAC off whilst I did the installation and then turned it back on again afterwards (OK you need to restart twice but that's hardly a chore).  Also, I have to use the 'run as admistrator' option for Aurora otherwise I just get a shed load of errors; anyone encountered this?
Welchbloke

Offline boggo2300

• Registered
  • Rear Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 05, 2010, 01:30:52 PM »
Yes, you absolutely have to run Aurora as admin, but then you pretty much have to with anything specifically written for a version of windows older than Vista, so that didnt come as a surprise to me

Matt

Offline welchbloke

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 06, 2010, 02:24:33 PM »
Yes, you absolutely have to run Aurora as admin, but then you pretty much have to with anything specifically written for a version of windows older than Vista, so that didnt come as a surprise to me

Matt
Makes sense, I should have realised that myself really.
Welchbloke

Offline Pinetree

• Able Ordinary Rate
« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2010, 08:58:36 PM »
Quote from: "welchbloke"
Quote from: "yoshyusmc"
This is what I did to install Aurora on my new Windows 7 laptop I turned UAC off whilst I did the installation and then turned it back on again afterwards (OK you need to restart twice but that's hardly a chore).  Also, I have to use the 'run as admistrator' option for Aurora otherwise I just get a shed load of errors; anyone encountered this?

I installed it to C:\Aurora and get no problems whatsoever. The program files directory is protected in Win7 and Vista so you get all that UAC nonsense when you install programs there.

Offline Darkone

• Leading Rate
  • D
Re: Windows 7 and Vista Issues
« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2010, 07:00:32 PM »
OR, you can right click /Aurora -> Properties -> Security and give yourself (Users) access :P

Second, Win7's UAC isn't nearly as intrusive as that of Vista, and everything I've heard says that it's a damn good thing that Microsoft implemented some minor amount of security.

Yes, you have to run it as administrator, and no, not everything. In fact, I've found very few things need it. As for Compatibility mode, you might want to try that, but I don't know if it's necessary.