Author Topic: Ship Name Sets  (Read 18938 times)

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
Re: Ship Name Sets
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »
Even more name sets!
The first is a list of most of the cities that gave their names to US warships, including patrol vessels.  I've ordered it as Cruisers, Submarines, Amphibs, Patrol Craft, LCS, though Aurora will scramble it some.  Any one with duplicates will only be in the highest category.
The second is a list of the "41 for Freedom" Submarines, which can be thought of as "Great Americans".  I use quotes because several weren't Americans, and Will Rogers hardly qualifies as great (in the way we normally talk of Great Americans.)
The third file is a composite list of all names in the destroyer series.  This includes regular DDs, DDGs, DLGs, DEs, and FFGs.  Basically, anything named after a naval hero.  When you load this one, it will throw errors.  I'm not quite sure why, but it says that syntax operators are missing.  This does load all the names, as confirmed by the DB.
Added on the 26th:
I worked up a list of all RN fleet carriers, either built or ordered.
On the 3rd:
I revised the lists of USN heroes (adding Nimitz, who fits with the theme) and the 41 for Freedom list (adding the presidents who've gotten carriers).  

All added. Please avoid putting several lists in the same file. Otherwise you risk having the titles as names if I don't spot them.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2012, 02:59:46 PM »
I'll look into that.  The problem is that my method works better on certain types of lists.  The Wikipedia list of US Destroyers was far easier to clean up than the one for cruisers.  Russian lists are either difficult or nonexistant.

I found a relatively decent source, and have added a list of the post-war Russian destroyers named after virtues.
I've also added a list of post-war cruisers (including the Kirov-class).
Some renamings and such might not be taken into account.
On the 26th:
I've updated the Destroyers file, adding in the Kirivak-class frigates (which had virtue names).
On the 2nd:
I've added all of the DDs back through about WWII, including the ones named after Admirals.
I also added a list of Russians Battleships.

All Added.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2012, 03:06:18 PM »
More names from the RN.
First, various bodies of water (Rivers, Locs, and Bays).
Second, cruisers of all types.
Third, Flower-class names.
Added on the 2nd:
Added a list of RN ships named after towns.

Added the files from this and the previous RN-related post.

Steve

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2012, 03:09:48 PM »
I've done the basic ships for the French navy.  Only three lists this time, battleships, cruisers, and destroyers.  I folded carriers in with battleships because there weren't enough to make a separate list.  
The cruiser and destroyer files will throw errors when you load them, but they actually load just fine.

French and Japanese names added - thanks for all the work on these!

Steve

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2012, 04:03:29 PM »
All added. Please avoid putting several lists in the same file. Otherwise you risk having the titles as names if I don't spot them.

Steve
Will do so in the future.  I was trying to avoid list bloat, particularly given the four file per post limit.

I've added all these. Try to avoid names with apostrophes as the import routine will strip them out. SQL doesn't deal very well with apostophes.

Steve
That would explain some of the errors.  Most of them are traceable to dashes, but the names usually load just fine.  Sometimes they don't, though.  Still not sure why.
This is Excel-in-Space, not Wing Commander - Rastaman

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2012, 04:16:20 PM »
I've gotten the names for German Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers, and FACs ready.  The destroyer (and frigate/corvette/sloop) names are all post-War (and thus often overlap with the battleship names) because traditionally (WWI and WWII) the Germans did not give their destroyers names. They were given numbers instead.  I've also added German FACs, primarily to get a good set of non-overlapping names for smaller vessels.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 04:32:25 PM by byron »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2012, 05:10:52 PM »
I've gotten the names for German Battleships, Cruisers, Destroyers, and FACs ready.  The destroyer (and frigate/corvette/sloop) names are all post-War (and thus often overlap with the battleship names) because traditionally (WWI and WWII) the Germans did not give their destroyers names. They were given numbers instead.  I've also added German FACs, primarily to get a good set of non-overlapping names for smaller vessels.

All added for v6.2

Steve

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2012, 05:14:03 PM »
And the last batch of the current plan is ready for 6.2.  Italian Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers.  I didn't get the post-war Frigates, but there are still enough names to be very useful.

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #23 on: November 10, 2012, 03:34:26 PM »
I've made three new lists: British post-war frigates/destroyers, British Submarines, and US Counties (LSTs were named after counties).
Another new list is various British tankers (RFA ships).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 03:51:21 PM by byron »

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2012, 03:51:58 PM »
A list of various RN replenishment ships.  
Also, a list of US minesweeper names.  These do not include various destroyer conversions, which kept their original names.  These names break down into two types, bird names and virtue names.  These names were used interchangeably between types, although classes usually stuck with one or the other.
The last two lists are US surveillance ships (AGR and T-AGOS types) and US research and survey ships (T-AGOR and AGS types).
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:29:40 PM by byron »

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #25 on: November 10, 2012, 04:41:17 PM »
I've worked up a list of RN survey ships.  Also, as a note, I've revised the list of Hunt-class destroyers to include the various Hunt-class minesweepers as well.  It's posted where the original Hunt list was, simply to save space.
I've added lists of various RN minesweepers.  The general (miscellaneous) list and the lists for the Ton and Ham classes.  Those two are broken out because they are both distinct and have large numbers of names.

At this point, I'm running out of ideas.  Requests, anyone?  (See the first post for standards for requests.)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 04:58:51 PM by byron »

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #26 on: November 11, 2012, 03:56:33 PM »
More ships, this time civilian ones.  I've got naming lists for Liberty Ships, Victory Ships, Empire Ships, and T2 tankers.
Also, I added a French submarine list, which is posted with the other French ships for space reasons.

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2012, 12:29:17 AM »
Three more lists.  First, the various Liberty ships transferred to Britain, which were given names starting with Sam.
Second, RN and RFA Amphibs.
Third, a partial list of Russian research and survey vessels.

Also, an updated list of Russian cruisers has been posted.  This covers all cruisers going back to the Imperial Russian Navy.  It replaces the old Russian Cruiser list on the previous page.

On November 24th:
Added a partial list of RN trawlers from WWII.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 12:56:26 AM by byron »

Offline bean (OP)

• Rear Admiral
  • b
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2012, 12:20:14 AM »
I've worked up four lists of Royal Canadian Navy vessels.
First, cruisers and carriers. This list is small (11 names) and they were combined for that reason.
Secondly, destroyers, including the Halifax-class frigate.
Thirdly, patrol vessels, including WWII frigates, corvettes, and other assorted patrol vessels.
Fourth, minesweepers.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #29 on: November 24, 2012, 05:01:30 AM »
And the last batch of the current plan is ready for 6.2.  Italian Battleships, Cruisers, and Destroyers.  I didn't get the post-war Frigates, but there are still enough names to be very useful.

Added for v6.2

Steve