Author Topic: Installation error - comctl.ocx registration  (Read 5269 times)

George

Installation error - comctl.ocx registration
« on: December 31, 2015, 08:14:59 PM »
Hi all

I've been trying for most of this evening (maybe four hours) to get Aurora to run.  It has a single persistant error on install that refuses to be fixed even after trying all the Microsoft troubleshooting options and all that the most reliable PC support websites recommend.  The error message is the following:

An error occurred while registering the file
C:/Windows\System32\comctl32. ocx

I have tried ignoring the error and that lead to a game crash from a runtime 339 error.  I have tried the automated system scan using the command prompt command 'sfc /scannow' to find and fix the problem.  It failed.  I have run all my anti-virus and malware software and my computer is clean.  I have installed every availabe Windoes update.  I have download and run the free registry cleaner CCCleaner to no effect (on this particular error though it did eliminate over 200 other errors in my registry!).  The next steps I can see are either to try manually editing the registry (something I very much do not want to do) or running a system refresh or restore and wiping my computer of all applications or all files full stop (again something I don't want to do but I'll take it over manual registry editing). 

My operating system is Windows 8.  I can post system specs if they are relevant.

I'm just hoping someone out there has a fix that doesn't involve manual registry editing or a system reset!

PS: apologies if this is in the wrong subforum but it seemed the most appropriate place.  It is after all a problem with installation that is not, as far as I can tell, related to the program itself and thus not a bug. 

Offline Laiders

• Leading Rate
  • L
Re: Installation error - comctl.ocx registration
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2015, 08:20:42 PM »
On second thoughts don't delete this.  Tried the fixes mentioned below without success.  Trying to re-register the file threw up the following error message: comctl32. dll was loaded, but the DllRegisterServer or DllUnregisterServer entry point was not found.  Obviously regsvr32 doesn't do anything to the ocx file.  Cannot unregister the dll either with the same error message.  Tried downloading the simple shutdown timer and it made no difference.  I can confirm that there is both a comctl32. ocx file and comctl. dll file are present within the system32 folder on my computer.   

What on Earth is going on?
« Last Edit: December 31, 2015, 08:35:26 PM by Laiders »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: January 01, 2016, 12:44:43 AM »
That file has been a headache to me at times, I'll see if I can track down what that register server entry point thing means. I have to assume it's some service windiws needs to have running in order to register the file correctly. I've installed on win. 8 before with no problem, however I do have a win 8 PC available that hasn't ever had Aurora on it which I'll be looking at doing soon.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Laiders

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2016, 10:26:25 AM »
I still have not found a fix to make the offical installer put out by Steve work.  Nothing seems to make the error go away. 

However, the unoffical complete installer that takes you right up to 7. 10 in one install did work.  Note that manually patching the offical installer up to the latest version did not fix the error.  The unofficial installer must be doing something different to make it work properly.  I wonder if the original installer might work properly now. . . 

It turned out to be a moot point anyway.  I became so obsessed with getting this thing working that I forgot the one actual system requirement! My laptop has a resolution of 1366 x 768 and thus cuts the bottom of every menu.  Now I at least know how to get it working on one of my old desktops or a new higher resolution laptop when I finally get one. 

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2016, 10:34:43 AM »
Theres an option for reduced size windows which makes the game 90% accessible on that size monitor, as I'm currenly using. Some icons are still barely cut off certain windows though, but a program called resize enable allows you to squeeze the extra buttons into being visible on most of the windows that are still cutoff.
It takes a little bit of practice to get it working as most windows will break with text lining up badly quite often when resized though. But it's definitely playable. I prefer using an external full HD monitor though. Not that I have used that in the last year .
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Laiders

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2016, 11:09:09 AM »
Nevemind me.   Really should test everything before posting.   Found how to activate the mode but a lot of important buttons still seem to be cut off under the task bar at the bottom of the screen.   Just need to see if there's a way to toggle that and I may actually be able to play!

EDIT: found the auto-hide option for the taskbar! Yay! Can now play Aurora.   ;D
« Last Edit: January 01, 2016, 11:15:44 AM by Laiders »

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2016, 12:51:41 AM »
I and others have not encountered this problem on these OS, which suggest that its a local issue. Possibly due to insufficient user rights, try right-clicking (or maybe shift+RMB) on the setup.exe and pick run as administrator.

However, the unoffical complete installer that takes you right up to 7. 10 in one install did work.  Note that manually patching the offical installer up to the latest version did not fix the error.  The unofficial installer must be doing something different to make it work properly.  I wonder if the original installer might work properly now. . .

No it wont. The potable Aurora package use a wrapper, so you don't have to register anything, the install version of it just extract the portable version into the specified location, it has nothing todo with "official installer.

Offline Laiders

• Leading Rate
  • L
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2016, 02:37:21 AM »
The issue was not insufficient rights.  I was using my admin account and using run as admin and had checked the permissions on the files in question.  The issue was more likely to be registry damage on my end.  Still a local issue but not one that can be solved with a simple right click. 

Second, I don't know about the portable version but the executable version has definitely modified my . ocx and . dll files ensuring they are all up to date and correctly registered.  This fixed the problem.  As my computer has none of the other issues (decimal seperater issues for example)  that can affect Aurora, I can actually run Aurora fine now using either executable (the Aurora or wrapper . exe).  Hence, I, half-jokingly, wondered if the original installer might now work. 

Offline Mor

• Commander
« Reply #8 on: January 07, 2016, 05:06:00 AM »
The issue was not insufficient rights.  I was using my admin account and using run as admin and had checked the permissions on the files in question.  The issue was more likely to be registry damage on my end.  Still a local issue but not one that can be solved with a simple right click. 
Just making sure. Since its required for both copying the OCX to System and making changes to the registry.

I am not familiar with registry damage issues, but if the problem still persist you can always attempt to do it manually. BY;

1. Extract comctl.ocx from Aurora.CAB
2. Run REGSVR32.EXE you-path\comctl.ocx

the executable version has definitely modified my . ocx and . dll files ensuring they are all up to date and correctly registered. 

Just to make sure. During the setup, if you were  promoted to update any files, DONT, keep your system files they are the most up to date. (by a decade)