Author Topic: 2.4 Suggestions  (Read 8687 times)

Offline Kurt

• Gold Supporter
  • Vice Admiral
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
(No subject)
« Reply #45 on: December 01, 2007, 12:22:33 PM »
Steve -

In addition to being able to upgrade PDC's, I'd like to be able to put engineering spaces on my PDC's, so that they can be equipped with damage control, so that they can repair themselves.

Hmmm...this leads inevitably to the realization that currently, there is no way to repair PDC's, except for "fudging" it.

Kurt
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Kurt »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2007, 05:21:18 AM »
Two things related to shipyards.  One is the ability to edit the number of shipyards/slipways and their max hull size by the SM.  I was playing around and started a new race using the totally automated no input by me and got a population of 1.5 billion with 4 shipyards.  The maximum tonnage was 7000 tons and their were a total of 10 slipways.  This for a race that had a build rate of 1000 already reasearched.  The government type was Clan/Family Council.

The second point was that for large shipbuilding projects the retooling time should not take more than one year.  If the retooling is going to take more time than this then they would start the ship while continuing to retool.  I would suggest a cap of one year time and just force the expenditure of all the minerals that are needed for the full project at the end of the year for convienience sake.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #47 on: December 03, 2007, 05:56:13 AM »
Quote from: "sloanjh"
On the F9 screen SM mode, it would be good to be able to set "Body Surveyed" at the component (start) or system body level, in addition to the system as a whole.  I've got a race with a distant companion and want them to start with their own component's system surveyed but the companion not surveyed.

I have added buttons to the F9 window that allow you to set an individual system body, or all the system bodies for one star, as surveyed.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2007, 05:13:03 AM »
Quote from: "mavikfelna"
I don't see any way in SM mode to add shipyards and slipways or adjust slipways. Or remove just slipways for that matter.

In my startup recently I ended up with 10 shipyards and 23 slipways, but the distribution is not to my liking and so I'd like to adjust thing, like moving slipways and removing a few yards to represent a few big yards and better respresent my class sizes and distributions.

I have added an "SM SY Mod" button to the Shipyard Complex tab. When you click it, it brings up a new area (covering the Required Materials section) that allows you to add and delete shipyards and edit the number of slipways and amount of capacity for existing shipyards. If you delete a shipyard, you will delete any associated tasks. However, for editing you will be unable to reduce the number of slipways below the number of existing tasks for the shipyard and you will unable to reduce capacity below that needed for any current tasks.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #49 on: December 04, 2007, 05:34:57 AM »
I've been meaning to write a philosphical post on what I like about 2.41 (it's been several releases since I've gotten a game going).  One of these is that, GB engines aside, I REALLY like the flexibility associated with the "small" fuel tanks, crew quarters, and engineering systems (plus the "no bridge below 1000 tons" change).  Basically, it allows much more granularity in the design of small ships, making small ships much more enjoyable to design.  One example is that going 1 crew member over life support capacity (e.g. 251 crew) no longer requires a sacrifice of 50,000 units of fuel - one need only give up 10,000 units.  Similarly, one can add a few extra spares (plus some fuel) if one only has a ton or two left in a design.  This has resulted in a size reduction of ~20% (I think) in my standard low-cost picket ship (non-warp capable).  I think these used to be 25-30 HS for me - now they're down to 20 HS (with standard engines like your pinnace or survey ship).
I really enjoy reading this type of post because with bugs threads concentrating on what is wrong and suggestion threads often concentrating on what is missing, its good to see a post on what someone liked about a new release. Finding out what people like is as important to me as finding out what is wrong or missing because it tells me what I am getting right and helps me understand the type of features that people enjoy.

I have also enjoyed playing about with the new 'small ships' because they have added an entirely new element to ship design and they do feel like a different ship type between fighters and 'normal' ships.

Another thing that I really like is the new overhaul rules.  I've only racked up about 6 months of game-time, but I find that I'm interspersing shorter maintainence down-times (major overhaul) much more frequently, plus I'm doing a lot less micro-management of spares (a good thing).  I think the reason for this is that major overhaul time is now proportional to cruise time - previously (IIRC) it was a fixed cost no matter how long was spent between overhauls.  The old way incentivized delaying overhauls as long as possible, since that drove down the overhaul/deployment time ratio.  Now the overhaul/deployment time ratio is fixed, so I'm doing (short) major overhauls "after each cruise".  I think this is a good thing - it seems more like real-world naval overhaul tempos, especially if you consider SLEP to the be equivalent of refitting to a new class.
Yes, they do feel much more realistic and seem to fit better in the flow of the game. Definitely more enjoyable than the old rules.

I haven't used minor overhauls at all (since they don't take time off the clock, I think they actually drive up the overhaul/deployment ratio), but I don't think that's a bad thing.  I think minor overhauls will be needed during a war - when you might need to "surge" your combatants at the expense of deferring major overhauls.  Minor overhauls will allow one to sustain the fleet longer (albeit at greater and greater overhaul cost) without requiring a major overhaul.  BTW, do major overhauls replace spares now, or do they just rewind the clock?
Major overhauls do replace spares as well. I have also found myself carrying out far fewer minor overhauls because the only real disadvantage of the major overhaul is the month-long abort period. In peacetime that isn't a major factor (unless you suffer a pearl harbour type attack) but in wartime, you will often not be given a month's warning of an attack so major overhauls can be dangerous if carried out in threatened sectors. Even in 'safe' sectors, its possible than hostile raiders may be operating as Aurora's 'density' in terms of populations and ships makes it difficult to picket every jump point.

I also like the fact that maintainence is decoupled from SY - it avoids a lot of micromanagement that I don't think added to gameplay.  I'm still undecided if I like the slipway changes, although it does feel more realistic in the sense that you can no longer design a new class and start building it all in one day, plus it really incentivizes series production.  It's also nice to see a SY named "Electric Boat" on the screen :-)
I have got used to the new shipyards now and it would feel weird going back to the old system. Bringing a new class into service now feels like an accomplishment and requires a degree of planning. As you mention above, in the past you could develop new tech, design a class and start building it immedidately. I also find myself continuing to build classes with older technology until I have several new technologies to incorporate into a new class, which is also more realistic.

Oh yeah, one more.  I really like the idea of my home system's initial system defense being a squadron of fast attack craft, rather than a bunch of long-range heavy missiles.  With the missiles, I was always worried that someone else could design a missile with just a bit longer range, at which point my planet would be effectively defenseless.  The FAC feel like they don't have that problem (even if in reality they'll get their clocks cleaned by an invading fleet).

Yes, the FACs do provide a very useful system defence force, especially as their maintenance requirements (in terms of the size of the maintenance facilities) are far less than larger ships, which allows you to deploy a FAC force to guard a small population when a Task Group of 'normal' ships may not have sufficient maintenance facilities to remaiin on station for long periods

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #50 on: December 04, 2007, 05:50:01 AM »
Quote from: "Brian"
How about a button on the F5 class design screen to give a ship class a new name.  I quite frequently build a primary class of ship and have several varients.  I would like to use the autonaming for this but currently this means that I have to completely design the ship from scratch again.

I have added an Auto Rename button that will pick a themed name for the class.

Steve

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #51 on: December 04, 2007, 06:18:06 AM »
Quote from: "SteveAlt"
How about a button on the F5 class design screen to give a ship class a new name.  I quite frequently build a primary class of ship and have several varients.  I would like to use the autonaming for this but currently this means that I have to completely design the ship from scratch again.
I have added an Auto Rename button that will pick a themed name for the class.

Steve

Thanks.  I really appreciate the work you put into this.  I have enjoyed playing around with it and plan on continuing.

Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #52 on: December 04, 2007, 07:49:57 AM »
How about breaking up the component display on the right hand side of the design view tab.  Maybe having a few broad sections like weapons, power plant and engine, fire control and sensors, etc.  Similiar to what you have for the other half of the page where you pick the items in the ship.  It does not need to be as broken down as that is because there will be far fewer choices onboard most ships.

This was easier to accomplish than I thought it might be and it definitely improves the window. Items on the right are now split into six categories for display purposes:

1) Weapons and Fire Control (includes power plant for energy weapons and magazines for missile launchers)
2) Defences (includes ECM and Damage control)
3) Engines
4) Special Functions (terraforming, hangar bays, cryogenic transport, etc.)
5) Sensors
6) General (engineering, life support, fuel, etc.)

Here is a screenshot for the component list of a missile ship. There are no special function systems so that category does not appear.

On a side note, looking at this made me realise the "Gunboat" systems are badly named so I have renamed them to "Small" systems for v2.5

EDIT: In case anyone prefers the older method I have added a checkbox so you can turn off the headings and the blank lines on the right. You will still get systems in the same order but they won't be grouped.

Steve

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #53 on: December 04, 2007, 08:41:37 AM »
Ooh, one quick suggestion/request I have:  Could you please add a column on the F5 (Ship Design) window, Design tab, that lists the crew requirement for each system?  Currently the only way to discover how much crew a (non-racial tech) system requires is to add it to the ship and watch the numbers in the 'life support required' window change.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Father Tim »

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2007, 08:54:48 AM »
The ability to set a race-specific color in the "Race" column of the events window (ctrl-F3).  It helps in SM mode to know where the messages are coming from.

Each race already has a colour associated with it that can be set on the F2 Race window. Therefore I have added a checkbox on the Events window allowing you to set the race column to use the race-specific colours.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2007, 09:02:04 AM »
Quote from: "Father Tim"
Ooh, one quick suggestion/request I have:  Could you please add a column on the F5 (Ship Design) window, Design tab, that lists the crew requirement for each system?  Currently the only way to discover how much crew a (non-racial tech) system requires is to add it to the ship and watch the numbers in the 'life support required' window change.

Added for v2.5

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2007, 09:28:57 AM »
Hi Steve,

If I'm interpreting the class summary page correctly, I think Grav Pulse Detection Sensors need to be a LOT more sensitive.

I've got an active sensor MR15000-R15, which the tech report page (ctrl-F7) says has detection strength 100 and a max range of 15m km.  I'm at lowest sensor tech, so this thing takes up 10 HS.

I've also got a GPD10-50 sensor that takes up the same hull size (again, lowest tech), which the class summary page says has a detection range of 5m km at strength 100.  It seems to me that this means that the active sensor has a range that's 3 times as big as an equivalent size passize sensor.  For the same hull size (and tech level), I can make an active MR500000-R500 sensor, which has a range of 500m km - 300 times as large as the corresponding passive sensor.

I want to tackle this first and then I will respond to the rest of the post. In Aurora I want active sensors to generally outrange equal tech/size thermal and EM sensors but generally be outranged by equal tech/size GPD sensors. I think the reason you believe GPD sensors are outranged is a misunderstanding over mechanics. Active sensors have a strength and a resolution and from those two factors, the range is determined. So a strength-80 sensor with a resolution of 20 would have a range of 1600. in Aurora each unit of range is 10,000 km so the sensor has a max range of 16,000,000 km. If you double the resolution to 40, you double the sensor range to 32,000,000 km but lose the ability to detect smaller ships. You will also notice that on the ship display, each active sensor has a value called GPS. This value is equal to strength x resolution and is the base value of the sensor for purposes of detection by a GPD sensor.

So the strength-80, resolution-40 active sensor above would have a GPS of 3200. Which means the low tech GPD sensor you described above, with a detection range of 5m km for a strength 100 signal, would detect this active sensor at a range of 160,000,000 km. (which is 32x5m as the GPS is 32x stronger than 100).

This interaction is simulating that long range search sensors will be detected more easily by GPD sensors than high power but short range active sensors designed to track small objects at close range (because the strength x resolution (GPS) value for those active sensors will be much lower for the same basic strength).

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #57 on: December 04, 2007, 10:11:19 AM »
(snipped description of new sensor model). From a gameplay point of view I think this has the following advantages:
What you are describing is similar to the method I used before the current one :). The sensor designer faces a choice between detecting large objects at long range and having a high GPS or smaller objects at medium range and having a lower GPS. A sensor with a resolution of 200 isn't much good for detecting ships smaller than 10,000 tons but it is superb at giving your position away to anyone within a billion kilometers.

Eliminates the "all or nothing" effect in active sensor design - currently if I guess wrong about minimum hull size (say 50 HS when the target is actually 45 HS) then I can't see target ships that are too small at all, even if they're 100x closer.
I agree that this element is unrealistic but I wanted some way to give players a decision between range and sensitivity (as in the real world). I am trying to model in a very simple way the complexities of radar systems. Perhaps one option is to add technology to give a sensor multiple modes (which has a real world equivalence) so that it alternates between 2 or more different resolutions but with some disadvantage associated with the ability (more below)

Puts the target size/detection range back in.  A particular active sensor should be able to see a bigger target from further away.  Unless I misunderstand, the present system doesn't have that effect - to detect a bigger target farther away, you have to have a longer ranged sensor installed.  Now that I think of it, I think this is the fundamental issue with the present system - all targets are treated the same (visible or invisible) for a given active sensor design.

PS - I realize you were tyring to model things like pulse repetition rates and emitter frequency with the current system - I just think the abstraction for them isn't working.  If you're concerned about wanting to simulate the fact that there are a lot of specialized radars on a naval warship, I would say that that's already in the game with the speed/tracking range tradeoffs in fire control.

Simulating the fact that there are a lot of specialized radars on a naval warship is a major part of the sensor changes. The fire control radar partly helps with that but not completely. Take the Kirov in the nineties for example

She has Top Pair and Top Steer 3D radars, which are used to provide bearing, range and height data on a number of targets, two Top Dome radars, which provide specific fire control for the SA-N-6 SAM, two Pop Group radars for the SA-N-9 SAMs, two Eye Bowl radars for the SS-N-14 anti-sub weapons, one Kite Screech radars for the 130mm guns, four Bass Tilt radars for the point defence (AK-630s) and three Palm Frond navigation radars. The only thing that doesn't have a specific radar system is the Shipwreck anti-ship missiles. There are also 20+ EW systems as well. I obviously don't want to get into that level of detail, but I want to reflect specialization rather than simply applying more strength to a radar and getting better at everything.

Going back to the idea of multiple modes. How about an active sensor that has one or more alternative modes which are less effective. For example, a sensor with a strength of 50 and a resolution of 40 would have a secondary antenna with a strength of 25 and a resolution of 20 (although that might be over-generous). This would automatically function when the system was activated. This provides a shorter range ability against smaller targets. In fact, this secondary (and perhaps even tertiary) ability could be another tech line and form part of active sensor design. For example, the baseline might be a secondary function with 10% strength and 80% resolution. The next step would be a secondary function with 15% strength and 75% resolution, etc.

I really want to avoid a straightforward more strength = more range vs all sizes of target (which is the case even if we use active focusing as a second type of "strength"). In the real world, radars are specialised for different tasks and I want to reflect that within Aurora.

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #58 on: December 04, 2007, 11:50:54 AM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
I was writing up a new player guide for 2.41, and during the race creation when it asked for jump point survey, I thought, "Why doesn't it ask for planetary survey too?"

Maybe you can add this? :)

Added for v2.5

Steve

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #59 on: December 04, 2007, 01:14:04 PM »
Quote from: "Erik Luken"
On the commander screen, when you select a commander, can you have it filter out commands he is not high enough (or too high) a rank for?

I have added an "Eligible Only" checkbox to the Potential Assignments section

Steve