Author Topic: Looking for Community Game Players  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Kytuzian (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
Looking for Community Game Players
« on: October 02, 2016, 08:56:02 AM »
A few months ago, I started a small multiplayer game of Aurora with some of my friends. Sadly, life happened to them, and a few of them were too busy with school and such to really play effectively. As a result, there are now just three people remaining. In order to spice up the game again, I'm looking for some new blood for the game, as I would definitely not like to just end the game because I've spent a non-insignificant amount of time coming up with backstories and such for the various surprises I have planted around the galaxy.

The schedule is generally a turn every two weeks.

If anybody would be interested in joining, please let me know.

Offline Red Dot

• Registered
  • Commander
  • R
Re: Looking for Community Game Players
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2016, 01:10:30 PM »
Is there any way you can give us access to the backstories that have already occurred?  That way I can make a better decision to join or pass.  Thanks,

Offline Kytuzian (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2016, 05:33:56 PM »
Is there any way you can give us access to the backstories that have already occurred?  That way I can make a better decision to join or pass.  Thanks,

Yep.

The game started in 2025, and the current year is 2040 (the 9th of August, to be exact). There are five empires in Sol (I SM terraformed most of the planets, obviously). Ignavis Deliquio was (we'll get to that in a bit) on Mercury, El Imperio del Antier is on Venus, the Mahja Empire (which was recently reformed to the Mahja Conglomerate) is on Earth, the Democratic Union of America is on Mars, and the Mahkra Empire is on Ganymede (a moon of Jupiter).

If you wish to read an RP perspective of what's happened, I shall direct you to this Google Doc (https://docs.google.com/document/d/1WVc3zymsVODJpcdvlKxswYI74VinfoDlyaP6qRdeO6U/edit?usp=sharing).

Following is a short history of Sol:
In the year 2025, the various empires of Sol were at peace. Each nation began with a small to mediumish fleet (depending on how the players made their starting decisions), and there was peace for several years. However, the Democratic Union of America soon launched an unprovoked attack on the Mahja Empire, causing a short battle in which they destroyed the alien PDC which rested on Earth and retreated, losing only one ship. The battle was stopped by the sudden appearance of an alien vessel in Sol--the first that had ever been seen. They immediately demanded, in English, that the fighting cease and that the empires of Sol submit to their rule, or face destruction. They gave the empires several years to think about it. The empires were obviously taken aback, and the petty fighting ceased--for now. There was peace for several years, during which the aliens seemed content to let the empires think. However, as the time period expired, the Democratic Union of America was immediately attacked. After the battle, the alien ships were driven from the battlefield, with the help of El Imperio del Antier. Just two years later, the invading aliens reappeared in force, bringing in many new ships, as well as another new alien race which helped the aliens invade. The battle lasted for many days, and in the end, the invading aliens had lost only a few of their vessels, while the empires of Sol had lost a great number of ships, perhaps half of the total ships in the system.

Peace was the order of the day for a three years, during which the empires exchanged some messages of goodwill, but ultimately failed to form any lasting alliance. Exploration and such happened too. Then, another alien race entered the system. This time, they did not speak English, and we have been attempted to establish communication with them ever since (this was the year 2038). (Special Note: These aliens are not an NPR, they are of my own creation and the players have to actually decipher their messages). However, the aliens were not hostile, and seemed content to sit on the jump point they had emerged from. But then, forces from Ignavis Deliquio launched a vicious attack on the Democratic Union of America, which, though initially successful, resulted in the complete destruction of the Ignavis Deliquio Navy. This was followed up by an all out assault from El Imperio del Antier, beginning with a ground invasion, and, when that was repelled by a nuclear defense from PDCs, a nuclear bombardment of the surface, leaving Mercury a frozen wasteland and killing hundreds of millions. The planet was conquered by El Imperio del Antier (hence the statement that "Ignavis Deliquio was on Mercury"). There is currently a resistance movement on Mercury, but they have yet to gain any real strength. Communication has continued with the aliens for the past couple of years, bringing us to the current day, when there was a revolt (read: a player resigned) in the Mahja Empire, and a ship from Ymerodraeth y Hynafiad (the invading aliens from several years earlier) entered the system. This brings us to the present day.

If you want to join, there are two options:
  • Take control of one of the currently uncontrolled empires.
  • Make your own empires.

If you choose option one, you will be choosing from one of the following nations:
Democratic Union of America
A very martially focused nation, whose motto is "God, Guns, and Glory." They currently occupy Mars, a planet that has suffered a number of nuclear bombardments, but is mostly fine. They also have a mining colony on one of the asteroids of Sol.

Mahja Empire
Recently restyling themselves as the Mahja Conglomerate, these people seem to value peace--but end up in all the wars. Regardless, their planet is relatively unscathed, and their coffers are overflowing due to the previous ruler's extremely lax spending policies. They have recently pledged to send aid to ease the suffering of the people of Mercury.

Ignavis Deliquio
Conquered, but not defeated. El Imperio del Antier has killed over half of their people and turned Mercury into a frozen wasteland, but now a rebel leader who calls himself Vindex is attempting to mount a resistance. Thus far he has been unsuccessful. Note: If you choose this empire, you will have NO colonies, NO ships, and NO ground troops (yet, I've got plans for them. If you're interested, PM me).

Finally, if you choose to create a new empire, I will place you in a system close to, but not bordering, Sol. You will have the option to completely create a new empire, the specific rules I will explain if you wish to choose this option.

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
  • Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2016, 04:28:48 AM »
I am intrigued and can probably manage a turn every two weeks.

Offline AbuDhabi

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2016, 07:10:49 AM »
How exactly does one play Aurora in multiplayer? I can understand a dynastic game, but I struggle to imagine how one plays with multiple empires.

Offline sublight

• Pulsar 4x Dev
  • Captain
  • s
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2016, 09:24:11 AM »
How exactly does one play Aurora in multiplayer? I can understand a dynastic game, but I struggle to imagine how one plays with multiple empires.

With difficulty.

The first step is to gain familiarity with playing with multiple empires in a single player multi-faction game (see Steve's fiction for inspiration.) This adds diplomacy, and can make for more interesting stories or custom scenarios while bypassing AI quirks but can at times feel like playing chess against yourself.

The second step is to delegate control of those factions to other players while you advance time as a dedicated System Master. This is generally slower and more time intensive than running a multi-faction game yourself, but it can be fun to see other people surprise you in what happens next.

The details on how control is delegated requires creativity and is different in every game. Sometimes the game is run as a Lets Play with players only asked to make key strategic decisions on what happens next. Sometimes passwords are enabled, the save is passed around, and the players are expected to personally queue orders and input designs. Usually the degree of player input falls somewhere between those extremes.

Speaking of which.... Kytuzian, how is your community game being run?

Offline Kytuzian (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2016, 09:18:34 PM »
I am intrigued and can probably manage a turn every two weeks.

Fantastic! What option (current empire or new empire) would you like to start as?

With difficulty.

The first step is to gain familiarity with playing with multiple empires in a single player multi-faction game (see Steve's fiction for inspiration.) This adds diplomacy, and can make for more interesting stories or custom scenarios while bypassing AI quirks but can at times feel like playing chess against yourself.

The second step is to delegate control of those factions to other players while you advance time as a dedicated System Master. This is generally slower and more time intensive than running a multi-faction game yourself, but it can be fun to see other people surprise you in what happens next.

The details on how control is delegated requires creativity and is different in every game. Sometimes the game is run as a Lets Play with players only asked to make key strategic decisions on what happens next. Sometimes passwords are enabled, the save is passed around, and the players are expected to personally queue orders and input designs. Usually the degree of player input falls somewhere between those extremes.

Speaking of which.... Kytuzian, how is your community game being run?

We aren't passing around the save, mostly because all of my friends were new to Aurora when we started, so none of them actually had the game. Turns are normally two years, unless something happens to stop them, such as a new alien race appearing, a battle starting, et cetera (Generally this means that turns are way less than two years, because things happen frequently). Every turn, players send me their orders, such as researches, construction, shipbuilding, fleet movements, et cetera. Then I do those things during the turn. At the end of the turn, I send back the game's log, filtered into four different sections: the complete log of all events, combat events, salvage events, and the events that I think are most "important" (such as finishing researches, building ships, building installations, and other such things).

Offline Panopticon

• Gold Supporter
  • Rear Admiral
  • P
    2023 Supporter 2023 Supporter : Donate for 2023
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2016, 12:10:38 AM »
I'd like the new empire option if that isn't too much trouble.

Offline Elouda

• Gold Supporter
  • Lieutenant
    2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2016, 03:32:54 AM »
This looks interesting, and I like the amount of detail in the background and setting.

I'd also be interested in joining, and I'd be happy to take over one of the existing ones, preferably either the DUoA or ME/MC.

Offline alex_brunius

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2016, 05:25:39 AM »
Id love to join and control a new empire. I have been meaning to host a game like this myself but never found the time IRL to do it.

Do you communicate by chat, other forums or just email?

Offline Kytuzian (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2016, 06:36:49 AM »
Id love to join and control a new empire. I have been meaning to host a game like this myself but never found the time IRL to do it.

Do you communicate by chat, other forums or just email?

Typically by email, though also chat for things that are better with more instantaneous communication (such as designing ships).

Everyone who is interested, please PM me your emails so I can share some important Google Docs with you and also because I find email easier than forums or PMs.

Also, thanks to everyone for the interest, but I'm going to not accept any new players for now, because I don't want to get too overwhelmed with the number of players.

Offline Codecrystak

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • C
« Reply #11 on: October 05, 2016, 07:47:31 PM »
 ??? Well It is sad your not accepting new players but i was hoping i could Start On Triton the Moon Of Neptune And Have A Small Colony On Pluto A Turn per Week Seems Slow tho for me anyways but i can Adapt and Survive

Offline Kytuzian (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • K
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2017, 10:17:07 AM »
Greetings. I am once again looking for a couple of players, but only if you are interested in taking over one of the abandoned empires.

If you are interested, please send me a PM to that effect containing your email.