Author Topic: Multiple Colonies per System  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Multiple Colonies per System
« on: January 05, 2017, 04:14:57 AM »
It seems to me that there is little benefit to developing multiple colonies per system farther than developing infrastructure, terraforming and maybe placing down PDCs. Moving minerals around systems to planets that aren't receiving mass driver deliveries is a pain and unless you are in a  losing war there does not seem to be any reason to spread around your capabilities.

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Multiple Colonies per System
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2017, 04:20:00 AM »
the benefit is leveraging administrator bonuses; +wealth, +Shipyards, +factory, +mining are all different skill categories.

moving minerals around is fairly easy once you understand the reserve level mechanics, except for all the clicking on reserve levels you have to do.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2017, 06:59:40 AM »
Also, a single body may not have all of your needs. You might find a situation where a perfectly habitable body in a system has next to no materials, so you'd need mining colonies to balance it out. Also, you might get some different research bonuses in a system, meaning you would need multiple colonies to take advantage of them.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

The following users thanked this post: backstab

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2017, 07:16:10 AM »
Of course I didn't mean that I would only put structures on one body, I stick automated mines everywhere.

But since said mines can only send minerals to one location it seems to make more sense to have one planet where you have all your factories, shipyards and fuel depots as apposed to multiple colonies which split the capabilities at the cost of annoying micro management.

Speaking of automated mines I wish that you could build them with mass drivers pre-packaged like the civilian mining complexes.
« Last Edit: January 05, 2017, 07:18:51 AM by BasileusMaximos »

Offline Zincat

• Captain
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2017, 07:23:52 AM »
Well, from a numerical point of view, the only real reason is probably wealth generation. More terraformed colonies = a lot more people = more wealth. Or the rare case when there's a planet with a bonus to some kind of research, so you colonize that too.

But I basically never reason in terms of pure numerical values. Real nations do not, it's just the limitation of the Aurora engine that makes you think more colonies have no value.

Since I always RP... my nation is planning to colonize every single rock that is colonizable in the universe. Eventually. Starting with planets well suited to human life :P

Offline Haji

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2017, 03:01:07 PM »
In my current campaign I managed something thought impossible (for me at least) - I taxed my industry, income and manpower to capacity. And I found out that having numerous colonies in the same system has many benefits. First there is trade. Second the lower the population of a body the higher the percentage of people in manufacturing sector (the only one you control) so having people spread out allows you to operate more facilities than having them on one planet. Last but not least the lower the population, the higher the growth (in percentage terms) so again it's far better to have people spread out than concentrated.

Offline 83athom

• Big Ship Commander
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
But since said mines can only send minerals to one location it seems to make more sense to have one planet where you have all your factories, shipyards and fuel depots as apposed to multiple colonies which split the capabilities at the cost of annoying micro management.
You can create a network/web of mass drivers, with each point having their own reserve levels so they retain enough materials to continue production. While I'm not saying you should only build one thing at each colony and move everything to where it needs to go, I am saying that you can space things about to have a general focus on different planets. While it is easier to micro a single colony, it is far more fun to role-play specialized colonies that focus on one area. Coupling that with what @Haji said, and the benefits of multiple colonies instead of having fewer "core" worlds should be clear. But that doesn't mean that you shouldn't still have those "core" worlds that can do everything.
Give a man a fire and he's warm for a day, but set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2017, 11:12:42 PM »
In my current campaign I managed something thought impossible (for me at least) - I taxed my industry, income and manpower to capacity. And I found out that having numerous colonies in the same system has many benefits. First there is trade. Second the lower the population of a body the higher the percentage of people in manufacturing sector (the only one you control) so having people spread out allows you to operate more facilities than having them on one planet. Last but not least the lower the population, the higher the growth (in percentage terms) so again it's far better to have people spread out than concentrated.
I also rarely experience manpower or wealth shortages, except when building up new colonies or near the start of a game. I'm sure the future terraforming changes will make managing your population far more important.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Nori

• Bug Moderators
  • Lt. Commander
  • Discord Username: Nori Silverrage
  • Bronze Supporter Bronze Supporter : Support the forums with a Bronze subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »
Population and wealth are the reasons.

I currently have Luna, Mars, Mercury, Callisto, Io and Ganymede terraformed.  Because of population limits on Earth, I farmed out half of my research to Mercury, all ordnance and fighters plus some construction to Luna, most of my fuel is Mars and Callisto and Ganymede also has a large construction base.  Earth has all of my shipyards, half my research and most of my construction capacity.
I'm up to almost 4 billion in Sol now (started at 500m).  I wouldn't be there and would have severe manpower issues if I hadn't done all of this colonizing.

Offline Drgong

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2017, 11:51:29 PM »
Outside of roleplaying the manpower/trade/wealth is nice.   

I build up infrastructure and then send 200-400 units to some of these "Other" locations.   The free market will do the rest. 
Check out or Join my Community Game
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=235.0
Also check out my stories, including Interactive tales.
http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?board=239.0