Author Topic: Help wanted  (Read 3377 times)

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
Help wanted
« on: February 10, 2017, 04:49:20 AM »
Hey guys,

I am planning on starting a new Aurora let's play in the next month or so but I need help designing the gamefile so it fits with the scenario I created. Therefore I have two questions:

a) Is there any tutorial on how to SM stuff? Nations, ships, scenariors etc.? I never did that before so I'd like to look into it.
b) Alternatively would anyone be willing to help me out with it? I offer contribution and of course possibility to shape the scenario together!

Thank you in advance!

Alfa
"Everything is possible until you make a choice. "

The following users thanked this post: Demonides

Offline Rye123

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Hi.
Re: Help wanted
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2017, 07:09:34 AM »
SM nations can be done through the system info --> create empire screen, then you can modify the details through edit race details screen.   
Note that most of the planets in the sol system don't support life.   

More details here: hxxp: aurorawiki. pentarch. org/index. php?title=Create_a_custom_race

Also you can use SpaceMaster --> Fast OB creation to create ships instantly.   

Have fun :D

EDIT: My link's getting screwed up, maybe because of the few posts I have :( sorry
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 07:12:02 AM by Rye123 »

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
SM nations can be done through the system info --> create empire screen, then you can modify the details through edit race details screen.   
Note that most of the planets in the sol system don't support life.   

More details here: hxxp: aurorawiki. pentarch. org/index. php?title=Create_a_custom_race

Also you can use SpaceMaster --> Fast OB creation to create ships instantly.   

Have fun :D

EDIT: My link's getting screwed up, maybe because of the few posts I have :( sorry

No problem about the link :)

Can you tell me how to get the technologies? Can you do that in SM mode too?

Also how can you position ships in the systems?

Offline Bughunter

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2017, 09:05:39 AM »
In SM mode you get a button on the research screen to insta-research a tech (but have to reopen the industrial window to see it after activating SM). Btw once you get this going remember to post a link to your videos here :)

Offline TheBawkHawk

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • T
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2017, 09:38:27 AM »
Quote from: Alfapiomega link=topic=9383.   msg101137#msg101137 date=1486738150
Also how can you position ships in the systems?

In the Task Groups window, under the History/Officers/Misc tab, on the right side there's a "Set Task Group Position" section for the SM.    You can select the system and the system body to move the task group to.   

Edit: Also, I'm quite excited that you're getting back into Aurora! Your series is what got me into the game, and I've put in at least a couple hundred hours since. 

I'd also be happy to help set it up if you want. 
« Last Edit: February 10, 2017, 09:40:43 AM by TheBawkHawk »

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2017, 10:46:22 AM »
If you need to put a fleet into a random position you can spawn a jump point and alter it's position to where you want the fleet, then sm move the fleet to it, then just delete the jump point.
Or just run some turn increments untill the ships are in position. You might want to disable sensors in the system whenever you do that during pregame setup.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2017, 03:35:37 PM »
If you need to put a fleet into a random position you can spawn a jump point and alter it's position to where you want the fleet, then sm move the fleet to it, then just delete the jump point.
Or just run some turn increments untill the ships are in position. You might want to disable sensors in the system whenever you do that during pregame setup.

You can SM move fleets to waypoints, which would be easier to place where you want compared to messing with polar coordinates on warp points.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2017, 12:04:27 AM »
You can SM move fleets to waypoints, which would be easier to place where you want compared to messing with polar coordinates on warp points.
I specifically looked for that and my waypoints werent showing up for the movement. Are you sure it's possible?
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #8 on: February 12, 2017, 01:35:59 AM »
I've done it in my current game. If you had the TG window open when you added the waypoint, you do need to refresh the list by re-opening the window or switching to another system and back to the current one. Waypoints are always at the bottom of the list.

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #9 on: February 12, 2017, 04:57:53 AM »
I specifically looked for that and my waypoints werent showing up for the movement. Are you sure it's possible?

If you go into the third tab of the Task Groups window, there is a section called 'Set Task Group Position' that only appears in SM Mode. This allows you to directly place a fleet anywhere there is a system body, a jump point or a way point.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2017, 07:59:50 AM »
*facepalm* I forgot to set the system to the one with the waypoint.

Offline AL

• Captain
  • A
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2017, 04:01:47 PM »
That would do it.

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2017, 04:45:07 PM »
A bit delayed thanks to all of you, I have noted it down and once I'll have time tomorrow or the next day I'll start putting it together.

BTW here is the first video of the let's play - a sort of trailer:

Enjoy!

Offline ORCACommander

• Petty Officer
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2017, 10:21:29 PM »
well done!

Offline Alfapiomega (OP)

• Lt. Commander
    • My Youtube channel
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2017, 04:03:06 PM »
Just a note that I published another video:

If anyone is interested you can join in! I have created a Soviet type Politburo and rules for it's working that will allow it to heavily influence the outcome of the game. The links and everything are in the description and I would love to have more people there (it is made for around 30 members, only 5 so far at this point).

The history is almost finished too, doing a final draft before I start recording it in video format. Then I will move to using your advice on the Aurora files themselves.