Author Topic: New Aurora stream  (Read 2154 times)

Offline Bughunter (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
New Aurora stream
« on: March 27, 2017, 11:35:32 AM »
Streamed game doing a Star Trek influenced RP game from conventional start:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLuXzIAdwiCCz_Zo6Qm_FdKqTF9C99HsDn

He is planning to launch a USS Enterprise inspired exploration ship. Poor Kirk, may the spoilers have mercy..

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
Re: New Aurora stream
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2017, 03:53:24 PM »
Interesting video.  I think the series Enterprise used missiles, even if TOS did not.

I think the Enterprise mission, solo exploration, was simply a mistake. On Earth, the good sailing exploration missions involved a squadron or flotilla.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2017, 08:59:38 AM »
I really enjoyed the stream so far. He starts his conventional start a bit differently than I do.  I am okay with running around with survey ships with conventional engines while converting to TN industry, because, first off, I can do it with my starting shipyard.  Second, yes, the survey ships are slow, but for the low investment of 50 RP for the conventional commercial engine for the survey ships, and a size 3 engine for a survey team shuttle, and the 1500 for Geosurvey, you can get an enormous amount of stuff surveyed by the time your economy is to the point that you WANT colonies.

Also, if you survey the moon and mars and discover that neither of them are worth colonizing, then you may as well not bother with the techs needed to colonize for some time, putting them into mining or construction or research techs.

For beginners, starting with a few extra research labs is nice, starting with extra military academy allows you to build up your scientists and survey teams while you focus on your economy.

I built my first survey ships once I had duranium armor.  That was basically the difference between 43 km/s and 52 km/s.  Having upgraded by initial Shipyard to 3 size 2200 ton slips by 2030, by 2034 I have surveyed everything out to Saturn's orbit.  And found bupkis.

But micromanaging survey teams was not what he wanted to showcase in the video. ;)

Some good tips:  Make sure you have some tech in queue, especially for the scientist teams that have a lot of research labs, so you don't waste lab time when the tech finishes.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2017, 11:27:21 PM »
Theres lots of plot potential for an Enterprise themes Aurora game. I tried it but as always lost steam at the start.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Bughunter (OP)

• Bug Moderators
  • Rear Admiral
  • Discord Username: Bughunter
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2017, 04:20:59 AM »
Yes, I don't really feel like doing one myself, but will be interesting to see where this one goes. And if there are any klingons out there.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2017, 10:50:42 AM »
I find the problem is that Star fleet style ships always get their asses kicked in Aurora. Lasers and short range large missiles and extensive sensor packages and every ship with its own jump drive = swift death.

I suppose you could SM a large multi system empire with a massive resource bonus to compensate for the horribly inefficient designs?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2017, 11:33:35 AM »
I was operating under the assumption they would die horribly, but stopped before making the first jump.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2017, 01:56:19 PM »
I find the problem is that Star fleet style ships always get their asses kicked in Aurora.

Focus on the mission parameters, not the weapon mix.

Its a survey fleet that can defend itself and handle a large variety of situations.  I would build an 'Enterprise' as a small squadron, possibly a carrier.  It is built for long endurance, operating for years, without having to refuel or refit.  It is designed to fight on the frontiers, not conquer planets.

Instead of building for speed to be an effective beam combatant, when EVERYBODY was fighting in beam combat, build for SENSORS.  Because the Enterprise almost always saw their foe a good amount of time before they entered range.

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
« Reply #8 on: March 31, 2017, 02:11:49 PM »
I see the Star Trek method as "a jack of all trades, master of none". It can do a lot of things okay, but none really really good.

On the other hand, the dedicated ship concept requires more facilities to put your ships into the field.

Offline TCD

• Lt. Commander
  • T
« Reply #9 on: March 31, 2017, 03:46:29 PM »
Focus on the mission parameters, not the weapon mix.

Its a survey fleet that can defend itself and handle a large variety of situations.  I would build an 'Enterprise' as a small squadron, possibly a carrier.  It is built for long endurance, operating for years, without having to refuel or refit.  It is designed to fight on the frontiers, not conquer planets.

Instead of building for speed to be an effective beam combatant, when EVERYBODY was fighting in beam combat, build for SENSORS.  Because the Enterprise almost always saw their foe a good amount of time before they entered range.
Oh come on now, we can be flexible but the Enterprise model isn't a carrier based survey fleet. I mean the Enterprise isn't really even a dedicated survey vessel, (those would presumably be the various science vessels) it is also a primary warship as well.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #10 on: March 31, 2017, 08:20:50 PM »
Yes, but what is the important part of the "Enterprise Model"?  I really do NOT think it is the weapon mix.  To me, it is the ship (or squadron) commander recapturing the Age of Sail, of discovery, encountering new life, new civilizations.  It's boldly going where noone (except those who live there) have gone before.

It is about the emotions and risks and rewards, where a ship or squadron far from home can be more powerful than an entire civilization, or might unleash a threat that the galaxy must unite against.

It is about MATTERING on a cosmic level, where the slightest misstep can have HUGE consequences, but the captain must be courageous and bold ANYWAY, upholding the honor and values of their navy and their nation.