Author Topic: The GRAND AURORA TOURNAMENT  (Read 1848 times)

Offline SerBeardian (OP)

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
The GRAND AURORA TOURNAMENT
« on: April 03, 2017, 02:55:49 AM »
Not sure where else to put this, but. . .

Attention all Fleet Designers and God Emperors of Mankind!

Getting tired of the same old enemies? Want to see how your fleet ACTUALLY compared against other people's? Well then now's your chance!

Within the next 2 months, I will be running the (to my knowledge) first ever Grand Tournament for Aurora 4X.  All are welcome, see the rules below:

All competitors will have a certain amount of BP to spend (to be decided in a few days).  You don't have to spend it all, but you are not allowed to go over.
The competition will be in a standard Sol system.
Tech levels available to each competitor will be posted along with the BP limits soon.
Each competitor can select a system body to serve as a supply base - this base will have unlimited (will possibly change) fuel, ammunition and supplies, but no other structures.  If you build a PDC on it, the cost comes out of your BP budget.  Your fleet will also be spawned from there.
Each competitor will know the general direction of the other player's base at the start of the match (though this may change due to orbits).
I will operate the game and stream (if I can work out how without giving away info, otherwise just record instead)/report events to their respective players.  A neutral party will do this for matches I am involved in.
Cheesy ship designs and combos (such as chained tractor beam ships), or things that exploit known bugs and issues will not be allowed - specific semi-cheesy mechanics may be allowed, ask in the comments if you're not sure.
Finally, all competitors must have fun!

Rewards will be the satisfaction of domination and victory over the competition, unless someone wants to pitch in something more material.

Comment if you're in and watch this space for more information over the next few days!

The following users thanked this post: MarcAFK

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
Re: The GRAND AURORA TOURNAMENT
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2017, 07:58:40 AM »
It's a great idea to be sure, you would be interested to know this kind of thing has come up in the past, I'm sure you'll get some ideas on how to organize your competition from the following threads.
War Stories of Alpha Centauri Arena
Alpha Centauri Fleet Challenge
Battle for Barnard's Star
[Forum Game] The Design Championship.
[Forum Game] SAC 6000
The Aurora Yacht Club
Thx to sublight for getting the ball rolling with those first 3 threads, shebs design championships was also quite succussful.
« Last Edit: April 03, 2017, 08:00:27 AM by MarcAFK »
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

The following users thanked this post: SerBeardian

Offline lennson

• l
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2017, 11:38:30 AM »
One challenge with setting up a tournament is that it is actually really difficult to get all the details needed to exactly reproduce a design. Things like what types of fuel tanks are used and what types of magazines are not visible in the standard text ship specification. I seem to recall that there are also other things missing from standard specification. Missiles are even harder to specify because they have a lot of details, space allocation (warhead, fuel, sensors, engine, etc.) the engine also has a power multiplier, but there is no standard specification. 

So I suggest that a format for providing all of the needed details be given so that reproducing a ship is straight forward.

Offline Hazard

• Commodore
  • H
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2017, 01:06:56 PM »
Unlimited ammunition would allow all missile boat spam, and missiles at range are rather more potent a weapon than any other option.

It'd be better to let players trade BP for missile BP in some ratio to ensure that all missile doctrines don't wipe hybrid or non-missile doctrines off the map.

Offline SerBeardian (OP)

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2017, 04:09:03 PM »
Quote from: Hazard link=topic=9484. msg102250#msg102250 date=1491242816
Unlimited ammunition would allow all missile boat spam, and missiles at range are rather more potent a weapon than any other option.

It'd be better to let players trade BP for missile BP in some ratio to ensure that all missile doctrines don't wipe hybrid or non-missile doctrines off the map.

Yup, that will be adjusted to something like that, with details to be worked out soon.