Author Topic: Solar Only Games  (Read 2186 times)

Offline Borealis4x (OP)

• Commodore
Solar Only Games
« on: October 16, 2017, 07:54:52 PM »
How interesting can games that take place only in the solar system be? I'm concerned about lack or resources for extended playthroughs and lack of enemies. I suppose for the latter you could piss of the population of Mars enough to get them to rebel but then I'm afraid they won't be formidable enough to warrant a challenge.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: Solar Only Games
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 09:38:01 PM »
If you SM Mars to have as many resources as Earth, it could work.

There are no rebellions in-game yet though; populations just lose production/income efficiency as their morale falls.  You have to use space master to create an NPR on Mars.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2017, 07:05:57 AM »
Limiting tech level might be a good idea, the solar system is pretty small when you're zipping around at 10,000 km/s .
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2017, 10:41:58 PM »
You could try randomly generating systems until you get a Quatenary system with lagrange points between them.  Then SM terraform planets or moons in each system and put NPRs there.  Give everybody basic antiship missiles in their ICBMs and it will take a while before anybody has enough mobile forces that they could safely get close to an enemy planet.

In order to have a balance of guns and butter strategy, the main home planet has to be hard to take out without a very significant investment.