Author Topic: Trying to open anything causes autocad 2017 installer to start?  (Read 6943 times)

lVlemories

After generating a new game and pressing select, trying to click on any of the menu items gives me a pop-up telling me to run setup. exe to install Autocad 2017 (hxxp: prntscr. com/h80ra8)

After the message pops up I can open the system menu, but nothing loads and none of the buttons work.
hxxp: prntscr. com/h80pq8

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry if i'm missing something really obvious here.

Offline Barkhorn

• Commodore
  • B
Re: Trying to open anything causes autocad 2017 installer to start?
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2017, 06:14:36 PM »
This is not supposed to happen.  I don't know what Autocad 2017 is, but it has nothing to do with Aurora.

Which version of Aurora did you install?  Did you use the portable installer?

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
  • ...it's so simple an idiot could have devised it..
« Reply #2 on: November 08, 2017, 11:51:11 PM »
That is the portable installer. It looks to me like something isn't installed correctly and something in your system is assuming part of aurora is an Autocad file. You might want to try the other version.
" Why is this godforsaken hellhole worth dying for? "
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "
"Stop exploding, you cowards.  "

Offline IVIemories

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • I
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2017, 06:48:21 PM »
I've tried both versions and even file sharing but no matter what the game will always try to open autocad, even though on the other computer it works flawlessly.

I have however found a workaround.  As it turns out, the autocad installer seems to prevent one window from loading correctly, and that window will be the first one I open (i. e if I open Economics as soon as I start the game, economics will not load properly until autocad installer gives up after a few hours.  Right now I'm just loading in the sector info since it's the page I use the least, and then load up system map and everything else works fine.

This is pretty annoying since every time I want to do anything with sectors I have to save and restart the game, then save and restart again but at least I can play now :P

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2017, 10:52:03 AM »
https://forums.autodesk.com/t5/installation-licensing/visual-basic-6-0-ide-triggers-autocad-2011-install/td-p/2680348 A few other searches through google suggest that Autocad does that if the install is broken.
". . .  We know nothing about them, their language, their history or what they look like.  But we can assume this.  They stand for everything we don't stand for.  Also they told me you guys look like dorks. "

The following users thanked this post: IVIemories

Offline IVIemories

• Able Ordinary Rate
  • I
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 05:23:41 AM »
So after a lot of work and effort I finally managed to figure out how to fix this.  You need to remove everything from C:\Program Files\Common Files\Autodesk Shared

Some of the files within that folder will prove impossible to delete, even using del /f in command prompt, so you'll need to either need to use the microsoft repair tool here: https://support. microsoft. com/en-us/help/17588/fix-problems-that-block-programs-from-being-installed-or-removed

Or if that doesn't work, start windows in safe mode and remove the folder.  Afterwards the game works normally.

Offline MarcAFK

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 08:44:23 AM »
Good to see you got it fixed.