Author Topic: How do you actually build turrets?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
How do you actually build turrets?
« on: January 15, 2021, 09:14:01 AM »
I open the Create Project Window. On the bottom row, I select Turret Design. I select the laser and number of them I want on the turret. I give it a company name because apparently, that is important sometimes. The only available button to hit at that point is 'Prototype'. I hit that and get the message:

"The prototype turret has been created and is available for class design. A shipyard cannot be retooled for a class design that contains a prototype component."

Ok, except there is NO such turret prototype available to me on the Class Design screen. Furthermore, even if there was, I wouldn't be able to build the ship because it contains a prototype component. No turret research options appear anywhere in any science research menus that I can see.

I've been tearing my hair out for hours trying to figure this out. Can anyone toss me a bone? How the Bleep do I actually put turrets on my ships?

Offline Droll

• Vice Admiral
  • D
Re: How do you actually build turrets?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:35:03 AM »
I open the Create Project Window. On the bottom row, I select Turret Design. I select the laser and number of them I want on the turret. I give it a company name because apparently, that is important sometimes. The only available button to hit at that point is 'Prototype'. I hit that and get the message:

"The prototype turret has been created and is available for class design. A shipyard cannot be retooled for a class design that contains a prototype component."

Ok, except there is NO such turret prototype available to me on the Class Design screen. Furthermore, even if there was, I wouldn't be able to build the ship because it contains a prototype component. No turret research options appear anywhere in any science research menus that I can see.

I've been tearing my hair out for hours trying to figure this out. Can anyone toss me a bone? How the Bleep do I actually put turrets on my ships?

I forget how, but you need to turn the turret into a "research prototype" and then research it, normal prototypes don't have projects associated with them.
However I'm having trouble understanding why prototyping was your only option here. Is the weapon being used as the base of the turret researched?

The following users thanked this post: Panpiper, Gabrote42

Offline Panpiper (OP)

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • P
Re: How do you actually build turrets?
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 10:01:20 AM »
You are apparently correct. I could have sworn on a stack of bibles that I had researched the lasers, but apparently I had not. Thank you for correcting my ignorance.