Author Topic: Are Invaders invincible?  (Read 2645 times)

Offline Vanigo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
Are Invaders invincible?
« on: November 23, 2011, 08:25:53 PM »
I know, I know, they do, in fact, take damage. I just can't figure out how to do it. Point defense is effectively useless against plasma missiles, so everything in range just plain dies. (Well, unless you have about six thousand meson fighters, anyway, but even then you'd lose half of them.) That leaves missiles. But while you can use box launchers to produce a big enough alpha strike to kill them through their completely absurd shields, a single wormhole will spit out a couple dozen ships every year, and you just can't build missiles that fast. How do you not die instantly as soon as invaders appear?

Offline HaliRyan

• Lt. Commander
  • H
Re: Are Invaders invincible?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2011, 11:56:20 PM »
Camp them.

When you find a wormhole position some of your beam-armed ships around it. Make sure they have high training levels so they can fire the moment an invader appears. Then proceed to have yourself a turkey shoot. If they're coming through a JP, same thing.

The time they pose a real problem (at least for me) is if they catch you in open space with the speed advantage.

Offline Vanigo (OP)

• Lt. Commander
  • V
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2011, 12:36:18 AM »
How much firepower does it take to kill them before they get out of range? Doesn't it take, like, 1,600 damage to bring one down (or something similarly absurd), and aren't they fast enough that you'd get maybe two volleys?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2011, 07:15:09 AM »
What weapons are you using /what techlevel?

That matters a lot.

PS, do microwave beams do anything to absorbtion shields...? :O

Offline Five

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • F
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2011, 09:02:17 AM »
Their not invincible, just really tough. For defense my missiles are lucky to kill a few of the big plasma torps but are good on the small ones, and once they are close enough my lasers handle almost all that remain air born...then shields help. I personally try to get close then launch every thing at once. ASM, my fighters launch, and my AMM and let them deal with all that, ussually that is enough for one..but i tend to have larger fleets then some i see posted here. Have been pretty successful. One of my fleets handled a few incursions but as they come through they are getting bigger and more of them so now i have all threee of my fleets there, and with the latest group through i think i'm not going to make it this time though..should have started closer but i couldn't get there intime when the wormhole moved.

-Five