Author Topic: C# Aurora v0.x Questions  (Read 183922 times)

Offline mtm84

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • m
Re: C# Aurora v0.x Questions
« Reply #330 on: February 27, 2019, 01:50:49 PM »
Excel is great for this kind of thing, you just need to add up all the formation sizes.  Granted you would need to change the hq sizes as you go, but the spreadsheet would update all the formations down the line.  My spreadsheet already does this. I might change it to use an hq generator for every formation instead of using a premade unit. You are probably always going to have in issue chasing the correct HQ size, but in excel that’s just a matter of changing the cell with the command value from 5000 to 5100 or whatever.  the  unit would only increase in size by 1 for every 50 command.

Offline Garfunkel

• Registered
  • Admiral of the Fleet
« Reply #331 on: February 28, 2019, 11:09:14 AM »
Maybe I need to learn Excel better  :D

Offline amram

• Lieutenant
  • a
« Reply #332 on: March 01, 2019, 10:49:30 PM »
Its a very powerful tool that can out-math anyone, and doesn't forget or tire of minutia, it just needs you to tell it what you want it to work out, how its worked out, and what it needs to know to work it out.  The rest is you putting that time you save to better uses, more turns played perhaps.....

Offline Lornalt

• Petty Officer
  • L
« Reply #333 on: March 02, 2019, 03:19:22 PM »
I got a question.  .  .   From the screenshots, the ranks all have abbreviations like Commander (CMDR). 

Does Aurora C# still allow us to create military ranks? (eg.   Sector Commander, High Admiral) Do we decide on the abbreviations? (eg.   SCMR, HADM)

I'm asking this as all the screenshots show Lieutenant commanders as the lowest rank but it's gonna seem weird to me if I set a grav survey ship with the captain as a LCMR and it's science officer (Lieutenant?) and Engineering Officer (JR Lieutenant?) have the same rank.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2019, 03:22:55 PM by Lornalt »

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #334 on: March 02, 2019, 05:44:20 PM »
I got a question.  .  .   From the screenshots, the ranks all have abbreviations like Commander (CMDR). 

Does Aurora C# still allow us to create military ranks? (eg.   Sector Commander, High Admiral) Do we decide on the abbreviations? (eg.   SCMR, HADM)

I'm asking this as all the screenshots show Lieutenant commanders as the lowest rank but it's gonna seem weird to me if I set a grav survey ship with the captain as a LCMR and it's science officer (Lieutenant?) and Engineering Officer (JR Lieutenant?) have the same rank.

You can create and change ranks and their abbreviations.

The following users thanked this post: Happerry, Lornalt

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #335 on: March 02, 2019, 05:44:44 PM »
Reading over the Particle Lance again, I want to make sure that the PL 'option' is also available for smaller particle beam projectors.  For example, once I unlock Particle Lance at base strength 6, can I go back and make a smaller, base strength 4 Particle Beam into a Lance (and thus double its damage to 8 and get the single-column profile), or am I stuck with only Lances size 6 (12) or larger?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #336 on: March 02, 2019, 05:47:19 PM »
Reading over the Particle Lance again, I want to make sure that the PL 'option' is also available for smaller particle beam projectors.  For example, once I unlock Particle Lance at base strength 6, can I go back and make a smaller, base strength 4 Particle Beam into a Lance (and thus double its damage to 8 and get the single-column profile), or am I stuck with only Lances size 6 (12) or larger?

You can make smaller ones as well.

Offline King-Salomon

• Lieutenant
« Reply #337 on: March 06, 2019, 02:29:49 AM »
about your newest post

Ship Commander Rank

The required rank of a ship commander is set automatically by Aurora and will be the lowest race rank, unless one of the following component rules is activated. Component rules are not cumulative so only the highest requirement applies.

If a ship is greater than 1000 tons and has any of the following component, the required rank is lowest rank + 1: Weapons, survey sensors, a jump drive, a hangar deck, Auxiliary Control, Science Department, Primary Flight Control.
If a ship is greater than 1000 tons and has any of the following component, the required rank is lowest rank + 2: Main Engineering, CIC, Flag Bridge.

The Class Window has a checkbox entitled Senior C.O. If this is checked, the class will have a required rank one higher than the above rules require (to allow the player to designate certain classes as worthy of a more senior officer than normal).

The rule is an enhancement to the command and control rules: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg101818#msg101818

does the specification to >1000t ships mean that the rule

4) Regardless of the above, any ship of 1000 tons or less will be the lowest rank, unless it has one of the control stations (Auxiliary Control, Science Department, Main Engineering, CIC)

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104038#msg104038

is not longer relevant?  ??? so a 1000t ship or less will be of lowest rang regardless of the modules?

Offline Shuul

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #338 on: March 06, 2019, 04:16:49 AM »
Hi, do you plan to implement "normal" NPR with some kind of hive mind feature?

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #339 on: March 06, 2019, 05:39:15 AM »
about your newest post

Ship Commander Rank

The required rank of a ship commander is set automatically by Aurora and will be the lowest race rank, unless one of the following component rules is activated. Component rules are not cumulative so only the highest requirement applies.

If a ship is greater than 1000 tons and has any of the following component, the required rank is lowest rank + 1: Weapons, survey sensors, a jump drive, a hangar deck, Auxiliary Control, Science Department, Primary Flight Control.
If a ship is greater than 1000 tons and has any of the following component, the required rank is lowest rank + 2: Main Engineering, CIC, Flag Bridge.

The Class Window has a checkbox entitled Senior C.O. If this is checked, the class will have a required rank one higher than the above rules require (to allow the player to designate certain classes as worthy of a more senior officer than normal).

The rule is an enhancement to the command and control rules: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg101818#msg101818

does the specification to >1000t ships mean that the rule

4) Regardless of the above, any ship of 1000 tons or less will be the lowest rank, unless it has one of the control stations (Auxiliary Control, Science Department, Main Engineering, CIC)

http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg104038#msg104038

is not longer relevant?  ??? so a 1000t ship or less will be of lowest rang regardless of the modules?

Good spot. Original rule is correct and I will fix the new post.

Offline Jorgen_CAB

• Admiral of the Fleet
  • J
« Reply #340 on: March 11, 2019, 04:23:46 PM »
I was wondering what the benefit will be to build shipyards with multiple slipways in them now when the amount of personnel to man them are the same per tonnage?
Personnel was one of the main benefit of having several slipways. Will there be some retooling benefits when you have more slipways or some other industrial benefits. I guess that yards with many slipways could or should be able to share allot of tools, machinery and expertise so some improvement in building multiple ships could be introduced with more slipways.

I understand that there can also be a one time benefit in building a new slipway than building a completely new shipyard, but that is a one time thing so might not be a huge thing in the long run, depending on how cheap it is to add a new slipway versus building a new shipyard. Certainly it can be viable for really small yards but for larger ships this cost difference might almost be insignificant.

Offline misanthropope

• Lt. Commander
  • m
« Reply #341 on: March 11, 2019, 08:34:52 PM »
producing new slips instead of new yards saves you significant if hard-to-estimate costs in construction factory effort

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #342 on: March 12, 2019, 12:15:17 AM »
I was wondering what the benefit will be to build shipyards with multiple slipways in them now when the amount of personnel to man them are the same per tonnage? . . .

Well, since the amount of workers is NOT the same, the benefit to one shipyard with two slipways of X tonnage over two shipyards each with one slipway X tonnage will be less personnel, fewer minerals, and less Construction Factory time since the shipyard itself can build the additional slipway.

The drawback will be that both slipways are tooled for the same design.

Offline Scandinavian

• Lieutenant
  • S
« Reply #343 on: March 12, 2019, 01:32:27 AM »
Well, since the amount of workers is NOT the same,
Rules as written, it is going to be the same: http://aurora2.pentarch.org/index.php?topic=8495.msg112323#msg112323

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
« Reply #344 on: March 12, 2019, 02:00:42 AM »
Sorry; I must be tired.  I specifically went and checked that post before replying and I still saw a base, per-shipyard number of workers for C# Aurora as well.