Author Topic: Population Detection  (Read 1457 times)

Offline Caplin (OP)

Population Detection
« on: August 22, 2018, 10:41:50 AM »
So I just detected my first small population, and was a bit confused by the results. I wondered if anyone could enlighten me?

I'm pretty sure this was a precursor sensor outpost, I happened to detect it during a geosurvey with my inherent thermal sensors. The confusing thing for me is that I have no idea which body the population was on. The System view is not enlightening, as far as I can see it didn't register the detection at all.

Is this because I didn't scan the population with active sensors, or is there a game accessibility problem somewhere? I couldn't see any coordinates on the map for said population, though I might have missed them.

Any clarifications would be appreciated :)

Offline Rich.h

• Captain
  • R
Re: Population Detection
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2018, 11:30:48 AM »
Have you checked the system generation page (F9)? You should find on there in the list of bodies one with a colony named after whatever race dwells there. First up before to close and reopen this page as it may not have refreshed fully. Secondly be sure to check the tabs on that page for each star (if in a binary or trinary system), next ensure on the options tab that all bodies are check to show, as they may be being hidden to not having minerals etc. Finally take a look at the events page to check the exact body name where the population was detected, this will give you a line to trace to find the correct system and body ID.

Other than the above I can't think of anything else that could be causing this issue.

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2018, 11:57:13 AM »
Thanks for the info.

The Events page doesn't seem to list the actual system body, it just says it's a population without going into further detail. "14th November 2053 00:46:36,Kapteyns Star,Population Detected! Thermal Signature  10  Race ID: Kapteyns Star Aliens #166."

However, a check of the System View did finally show me that it's an outpost emplaced on an asteroid. I had previously lost contact with another outpost, which was only strength 5. So Either there are two outposts in the system, or the precursors are building new deep space tracking stations. :)

Anyhow, I'm 98% sure that when I was checking the system view earlier, before I brought in my scout to do a search for this guy, the asteroid in question was marked as empty. Do you have to be able to see populations for the System View to show them?

I'd love to know what's up here. :)

Offline JacenHan

• Captain
  • Discord Username: Jacenhan
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2018, 12:23:54 PM »
The asteroid colonies that pop up every now and again tend to be a little glitchy when it comes to detection. If the time increment was too large, your first scout might have flown right by it without it's sensors having a chance to detect it because the thermal signature was so small.

Yes, you do have to detect a population for the system view to show them. As far as I know, there isn't any convenient way to see where you have previously detected a population.

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2018, 12:45:58 PM »
AHA. :)

Okay, that answers that question. Maybe there should be a list of previous detections in the Intelligence window somewhere, since it stands to reason the records would be kept. I think I will post that in the suggestion thread for C#.

Offline Caplin (OP)

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2018, 02:47:57 PM »
As a sort of coda on this topic, the Terran Federation sent in a couple mobile infantry battalions to occupy the asteroid and investigate the source of the thermal emissions. They discovered what turned out to be two tracking station of unknown design. The notion that, perhaps, the ground assault was a bit of overkill for the observed emissions was roundly dismissed because, after all, good people had died in this system previously, and you never knew what was out there.

Offline Jovus

• Lt. Commander
  • J
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2018, 09:49:47 AM »
Yes, you do have to detect a population for the system view to show them. As far as I know, there isn't any convenient way to see where you have previously detected a population.

I make it a point to ban any bodies w/ a detected population in the system view. This both keeps my ships away from said body for default orders and serves as a useful marker of where I've detected them before. Once I've cleared out the population, I unban it again.