Author Topic: Hi all, first post and naturaly...  (Read 4165 times)

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
Hi all, first post and naturaly...
« on: June 12, 2008, 12:52:32 PM »
...i have some problems :cry:
I'm going to uninstall and try to install it again-after you guys tell me what it it you think i did wrong.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by BobS »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
  • Discord Username: icehawke
  • 2020 Supporter 2020 Supporter : Donate for 2020
    2022 Supporter 2022 Supporter : Donate for 2022
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
    2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
(No subject)
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2008, 01:26:43 PM »
Try to compact the database. I believe there's a menu item for it on one of the far right menus.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Erik Luken »

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2008, 01:27:25 PM »
And I moved it to the bugs forum :)

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2008, 02:21:17 PM »
Eric
I got the same error after selecting my PDC task group and inadvertently clicking on "no orders possible for task groups with PDCs". It not only will not go away it?s locked the entire program.  It also locked various PC functions, like Alt Ctrl Del!

I was trying to see if I had to load ordnance into them (the PDCs and do you?) as I still have all my missiles on Earth in my planetary missile stocks, even though I have ordered the Battlefleet to "load ordnance" and where can I select what is loaded (if I can load them!)?

Sorry to be such a numbskull :oops:

Regards
Ian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by IanD »
IanD

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2008, 03:48:42 PM »
Quote from: "IanD"
Eric
I got the same error after selecting my PDC task group and inadvertently clicking on "no orders possible for task groups with PDCs". It not only will not go away it?s locked the entire program.  It also locked various PC functions, like Alt Ctrl Del!

I was trying to see if I had to load ordnance into them (the PDCs and do you?) as I still have all my missiles on Earth in my planetary missile stocks, even though I have ordered the Battlefleet to "load ordnance" and where can I select what is loaded (if I can load them!)?

Sorry to be such a numbskull :oops:

Regards
Ian

You need to load ordnance (I think), but you have to do it manually from the F6 ship display screen. On the ordnance tab on the right side is a series of buttons. One of these will reload from planetary stocks.

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
(No subject)
« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2008, 04:10:43 PM »
Thanx for the quick reply erik. I'll try that when i re-install. I'm very much a novice at manually installing files so it might be a while before i can let you know how it went :D

Offline SteveAlt

• Global Moderator
  • Rear Admiral
Re: Hi all, first post and naturaly...
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2008, 04:45:09 PM »
Quote from: "BobS"
...i have some problems :cry:
I'm going to uninstall and try to install it again-after you guys tell me what it it you think i did wrong.

It sounds like the problems associated with using the wrong database. Its probably best to re-install and make sure you follow every step carefully. I really need to create a new install so you don't need to go through all the steps.

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by SteveAlt »

Offline Brian Neumann

• Vice Admiral
(No subject)
« Reply #7 on: June 12, 2008, 07:49:17 PM »
This also sounds like the problem that I had with new versions.  Are you using Vista.  If so what worked for me was to do the install.  At each stage where you copy a new version over the old version I had to delete the old version first, empty the trashcan then do the new version.  After everything was done I then compacted the database as the very first thing I did on opening the program.

Hope this helps
Brian
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Brian »

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
(No subject)
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 06:03:45 PM »
@Brian....OY!!!
There is no way i can do all that. I'm just too noob at that kind of thing. I do have vista and i try to do as little as possible with it. I even use mozila/firefox to webserf as ie is just too slow and ive never been able to figure out how to fix it.
As much as it pains me, i think ill have to wait til steve makes it easier to install.
Of course, if some of you guys would update your campaigns the wait might not seem so bad :D

Offline Erik L

• Administrator
  • Admiral of the Fleet
  • Forum Admin
(No subject)
« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2008, 07:16:12 PM »
@Brian....OY!!!
There is no way i can do all that. I'm just too noob at that kind of thing. I do have vista and i try to do as little as possible with it. I even use mozila/firefox to webserf as ie is just too slow and ive never been able to figure out how to fix it.
As much as it pains me, i think ill have to wait til steve makes it easier to install.
Of course, if some of you guys would update your campaigns the wait might not seem so bad :D

By default, Aurora is installed in C:\Program Files\Aurora

When doing an update, open that directory in Windows Explorer, and delete Aurora.exe and Stevefire.mdb

Then empty the recycle bin, and apply the update. Wash, rinse, repeat as necessary.

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
(No subject)
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2008, 06:37:32 AM »
OK, I tried a new install after removing the first one (emptied the trashcan). After running the exe i got, "cannot create aurora images..."
I closed that warning and extracted the image file as per instructions and got, "Cannot create Aurora exe"
"Access denied"
I got that warning each time i extracted the exe files of the 150 and 250 steps.
i also got the 3265 DAO.Field error and a 429 ActiveX component can't create object error.
When i finished as per the instructions (there were so many errors i gave up trying to right them down) I tried running the program. What came up was a small window titled Game Details with a game titled,"Nemesis campaign". Not knowing what to do i hit Select and got a toolbar titled Nemesis campaign with pulldowns titled, Game Spacemaster empires,...etc
So,what do yas think? To the best of my recallection i did install exactly as stated in the instructions. I did NOT do it the way Brian did. I'm kinda pleased that i went as far as i did but im not ready to "push it" :D[/note]

ps.
When i opened the Aurora folder, along with the files it's supposed to have, it had 2 zipfile icons with aurora stuff in them. are they supposed to be there? Seemed kind of odd to me. I've extracted mod files to other games -WoW, Battlezone, Homeworld- and i dont recall seeing zipfile icons in the destination folders....

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
(No subject)
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2008, 09:38:44 AM »
OK, I tried a new install after removing the first one (emptied the trashcan). After running the exe i got, "cannot create aurora images..."
I closed that warning and extracted the image file as per instructions and got, "Cannot create Aurora exe"
"Access denied"
I got that warning each time i extracted the exe files of the 150 and 250 steps.
i also got the 3265 DAO.Field error and a 429 ActiveX component can't create object error.
When i finished as per the instructions (there were so many errors i gave up trying to right them down) I tried running the program. What came up was a small window titled Game Details with a game titled,"Nemesis campaign". Not knowing what to do i hit Select and got a toolbar titled Nemesis campaign with pulldowns titled, Game Spacemaster empires,...etc
So,what do yas think? To the best of my recallection i did install exactly as stated in the instructions. I did NOT do it the way Brian did. I'm kinda pleased that i went as far as i did but im not ready to "push it" :D
Think i should wait for the Easy EXE ? :D[/note]

ps.
When i opened the Aurora folder, along with the files it's supposed to have, it had 2 zipfile icons with aurora stuff in them. are they supposed to be there? Seemed kind of odd to me. I've extracted mod files to other games -WoW, Battlezone, Homeworld- and i dont recall seeing zipfile icons in the destination folders....

The Nemesis campaign was in v1.0 so you are somehow using the original version of the database rather than the latest one.

Here are the full step by step instructions for install, with the extra steps sometimes required for Vista. If you follow this all the way through, you should be ok

1) If the C\:program Files\Aurora directory exists, delete it

2) Right-click the recycle bin icon on your desktop and select "Empty recycle bin" from the popup menu

3) Download AuroraInstall and unzip it. You will have four files called Aurora.CAB, Setup.exe, Setup.LST and AuroraImages.zip

4) Run Setup.exe. This should run a standard Microsoft install program, installing to the default C:\Program Files\Aurora directory

5) Unzip AuroraImages.zip into the same directory

6) Go into the install directory and delete Stevefire.mdb and Aurora.exe

7) Right-click the recycle bin icon on your desktop and select "Empty recycle bin" from the popup menu

8) Download Aurora120.zip

9) Unzip it into the install directory

10) Go into the install directory and delete Stevefire.mdb and Aurora.exe

11) Right-click the recycle bin icon on your desktop and select "Empty recycle bin" from the popup menu

12) Download Aurora300.zip

13) Unzip it into the install directory

14) Download ExtraGraphics.zip

15) Unzip the extra flags and race pictures into the flags and races directories

16) Download Medals.zip

17) Unzip it into the installation directory, creating a new Medals sub-directory

Steve
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Steve Walmsley »

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2008, 03:43:40 AM »
Hi
I am also running Aurora on a PC with Vista Ultimate. I have found that if I want to install patches for Aurora (or other programs such as Space Empires V) from zipped files I have to unzip in a folder on my desktop and copy the resultant unzipped files to the Aurora directory, over writing older files then. You have to OK it a couple of times with Vista e.g. ?Do you wish to continue? etc.
This has worked fine for me; any errors are purely of my own making, (principally an Overflow error in a system display) :roll: .
The installation process is a little different for Vista but not much, Once I have run the install program all the other files are unzipped before copying them into the various Aurora folders as above.

If all else fails can you borrow another PC running XP and install Aurora on a memory stick? You can run it from that in your Vista PC quite happily.

Regards
IanD

Offline IanD

• Registered
  • Commodore
(No subject)
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2008, 10:40:23 AM »
Hi
As I said above I am using Vista and had a problem with an overflow error in the system display, I just tried to compact my database to see if that resolved the matter and had the files ST6UNST.000 and Stevefire deleted :cry: .

Any idea why or what happened?
Regards
IanD

Offline BobS (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • B
(No subject)
« Reply #14 on: June 19, 2008, 04:38:37 PM »
hey all. i tried to install again. had no problem til i unzipped 120.made the mistake of trying to unzip the whole folder instead of each individual file. got the "access denied" error plus a couple more. my sons system is XP so ill try getting him to install it on his machine.hopefully he has better luck than me :/