Author Topic: Troops in Combat Drop Modules  (Read 1673 times)

Offline TheRowan (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
Troops in Combat Drop Modules
« on: March 10, 2013, 12:07:54 PM »
I've moved troops into Combat Drop Modules on board fighters stored on board my ships ready for a boarding action.  Unfortunately, the aliens exploded before my assault shuttles could get there (Damned unsporting, what!) and the troops are now getting morale penalties for being held in CDMs for too long.  What order do I need to use to transfer them back to troop transportation?

Offline TheDeadlyShoe

• Vice Admiral
  • Dance Commander
Re: Troops in Combat Drop Modules
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2013, 12:12:24 PM »
You need to offload them onto a body and pick them back up with the transports

Offline TheRowan (OP)

• Chief Petty Officer
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2013, 12:28:01 PM »
OK, thanks. . .  Now I'm trying to imagine what sort of system they use that means the troops can be loaded into the shuttles, but not back out into the ship.

I'm thinking fireman's poles. . .   :P

Offline Charlie Beeler

• Registered
  • Vice Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2013, 01:23:47 PM »
OK, thanks. . .  Now I'm trying to imagine what sort of system they use that means the troops can be loaded into the shuttles, but not back out into the ship.

I'm thinking fireman's poles. . .   :P

If I recall correctly, Steve's idea was something akin to Heinlein's droppods in Starship Troopers. (the book, not the movie that doesn't follow any of the books plot arc).

The moral issue has been known basicly since introduction.  It's been discussed that it would be nice to have a way to pull the troops back into the troop bays without having to perform an assult drop and recovery.  Fairly sure that this is on the pile of nice to have's.
Amateurs study tactics, Professionals study logistics - paraphrase attributed to Gen Omar Bradley

Offline Zatsuza

• Chief Petty Officer
  • Z
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 07:34:24 AM »
*remembers the original halo opening droppod assault*  ::)

'can we leave the drop pod yet? Cramming a battalion into what amounts to a sardine can in space for a month can't be conducive to force morale or health.'

'You'll go through a planetary assault drop whether you like it or not Pvt. Parts!'

'We're up to our ears in smeg, sir. At this rate we'll die of septecimia before we get to the enemy. We'll be launched at the enemy dead in our assault suits like poop-covered projectiles, sir.'

'Sir!? I work for'a livin, private! Shovel that smeg out the airlock! You have a trench shovel, don't ya?!'

'...it's a drop-pod, sarge. there aren't any airlocks, just explosive bolts.'

'Do I look like I particulary care, private parts!?'

'No sarge. Can I make a suggestion, sarge?'

'hm? finally using that jar you call a head eh?'

'We can climb up the fireman poles. I know they were designed so that we can't reach them once we're in, but a battalion of men on a high-protein diet in an enclosed space... we can probably swim up there and make a human ladder to escape.'

oout-standing. Colonel Carp! Give this man a medal! We're a hundred and six million miles from the enemy, we've got half a tank of gas, a full pack of cigarettes, the pod is up to our ears in she-it and we're wearing Powered-Ballistic Boarding-action assault suits. Private Parts!'

'...Let's hit it.'

It looks like Private parts... Was hauling ass.  8)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2013, 07:46:31 AM by Zatsuza »