Author Topic: Genetic Modification: switching between subspecies?  (Read 2129 times)

Offline Hurmdurm (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
Genetic Modification: switching between subspecies?
« on: March 18, 2013, 01:34:46 PM »
Suppose that an empire consists of baseline humans and two subspecies: "paragons" (+8 temperature range) and "Titanians" (+8 temperature range, -30 base temperature. ) Would I be able to use genetic modification centers to convert paragons to Titanians, and vice versa? (For that matter, could I convert the subspecies back to baseline humans if I wanted to?)

If so, I see no reason not to convert the entire population of every colony to paragons (except for residents of Titan, who I would convert to Titanians, of course); I could always convert them again later if I wanted to go out and planets that are too warm or high-gravity or whatever.  If, on the other hand, the first round of genetic modification is completely indelible, I probably won't bother with it at all; I'll just use terraforming and infrastructure.

Thanks in advance.

Offline telegraph

• Sub-Lieutenant
  • t
Re: Genetic Modification: switching between subspecies?
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2013, 02:00:03 PM »
wiki says no. you can convert from the natural specimen only.

http://aurorawiki.pentarch.org/index.php?title=Genetic_Modification

Offline Hurmdurm (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 02:26:15 PM »
That page says

You cannot genetically modified a previously modified species, only a base.  For example, you can drop Human Temperature Tolerance by 205 to create Homo Artcis, but you cannot drop Homo Artcis' Temperature Tolerance by a further 20%

which seems to refer to the fact that you can't create subsubspecies, only subspecies.  I don't think it answers my question: is it possible to change members of a population from one subspecies to another?

Offline Konisforce

• Sub-Lieutenant
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2013, 02:38:37 PM »
Don't know if it's possible to go from one to the other, but maybe can go subspecies #1 - > baseline - > subspecies #2?

Worth some testing.  I mean, it'll be quick tests.  Just don't have Aurora accessible.
Come take a look at Victoria Regina, an old-timey AAR

Offline Hurmdurm (OP)

• Petty Officer
  • H
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2013, 03:11:56 PM »
I tested it using SM, and it appears that modifying members of a subspecies is totally impossible.  :( Under the GMC drop-down, the only available option is "No Modification for Derived Species. "

I think I won't bother trying to colonize Triton after all. . .

Offline Nightstar

• Lt. Commander
  • N
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2013, 04:01:54 PM »
Yeah, the current rules make GMC mostly useless. Dropping the no remodifying subspecies limitation would do a lot to fix it IMO. It would break the limitations of genetic modification at the cost of slowing modification. It's already difficult to modify large populations anyway. Maybe bump up the rate of GMCs as well...

Offline Thundercraft

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • Ensign Navigator
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2013, 10:30:17 PM »
Quote from: Nightstar link=topic=5992. msg61464#msg61464 date=1363640514
Yeah, the current rules make GMC mostly useless.  Dropping the no remodifying subspecies limitation would do a lot to fix it IMO.  It would break the limitations of genetic modification at the cost of slowing modification.  It's already difficult to modify large populations anyway.  Maybe bump up the rate of GMCs as well. . .

Sounds reasonable.  Maybe this should be posted to the Suggestions area? [hint, hint]  ;)
"Not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it is stranger than we can imagine." - Sir Arthur Stanley Eddington