Author Topic: Delete a technology?  (Read 2891 times)

Offline ptb_ptb (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • p
Delete a technology?
« on: May 18, 2014, 07:10:42 AM »
If, say, you've researched a missile engine and later you decide it is so pitiful that there is no reason to keep it, can it be deleted?

Real world conventional ICBMs reach over 20,000 km/hr (I think).  My missile seems to manage 400 km/hr? There are literally cars that can go faster than that.  Also it apparently has a 1% chance of hitting what it's aimed at.  This does not inspire confidence.  :P

Offline Theodidactus

• Registered
  • Commodore
Re: Delete a technology?
« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2014, 07:47:14 AM »
you can make a technology obsolete.

I'm relatively certain you mean km/s for your own missile speed. Things in aurora move stupefyingly fast and the game renders their movement in km/s units
My Theodidactus, now I see that you are excessively simple of mind and more gullible than most. The Crystal Sphere you seek cannot be found in nature, look about you...wander the whole cosmos, and you will find nothing but the clear sweet breezes of the great ethereal ocean enclosed not by any bound

Offline ptb_ptb (OP)

• Leading Rate
  • p
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2014, 07:56:42 AM »
Quote from: Theodidactus link=topic=7177. msg73015#msg73015 date=1400417234
I'm relatively certain you mean km/s for your own missile speed.

Lol, oops.  I don't know what happened there.

Offline PSI

• Chief Petty Officer
  • P
« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2014, 09:03:14 AM »
Your engine is significantly faster than an ICBM and most likely has more range.
Still, a 400 km/s missile engine is absolutely horrible. :P

Offline papent

• Lieutenant
  • Off We Go Into The Wild Blue Yonder
« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 11:46:29 AM »

the only way I can think of to delete a technology is by editing the database. 
The quicker option is as Theodidactus said is too make it obsolete.
also top speed for modern ICBM's is approx 8km/s.
In my humble opinion anything that could be considered a balance issue is a moot point unless the AI utilize it against you because otherwise it's an exploit you willing choose to use to game the system. 
Rule 0 Is effect : "The SM is always right/ What SM Says Goes."

Offline Steve Walmsley

• Aurora Designer
  • Star Marshal
  • S
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 02:44:26 PM »
You can delete a technology that you have created but not researched on the Research tab of the F2 population window. Select the technology as if you were going to research it and then press the Delete button rather than Create. Make sure you are in the correct research field.

If you have already researched it, switch to Completed underneath the technology description on the same tab, which will list all researched projects. Click Remove to set the tech as unresearched and then use Delete to delete it entirely.

Offline Wolfius

• Warrant Officer, Class 1
  • W
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 04:42:37 AM »
Would deleting a technology like that cause bugs if it's already used in a ship or missile or something?

Offline Kirkegaard

• Warrant Officer, Class 2
  • K
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2014, 08:14:11 AM »
Would deleting a technology like that cause bugs if it's already used in a ship or missile or something?

No, it just remove it from the tech overview and design ship page. Without doing this in does fast get a bit confusing.

Offline SteelChicken

• Lt. Commander
« Reply #8 on: May 21, 2014, 08:27:17 AM »
The problem is obsolete missile engines still show up in the missile design screen.

Offline davidr

• Gold Supporter
  • Lt. Commander
  • d
  • 2021 Supporter 2021 Supporter : Donate for 2021
    Gold Supporter Gold Supporter : Support the forums with a Gold subscription
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 02:03:58 AM »
After a technology has been researched and then is found to be inadequate or obsoleted the easiest way is to go to the View Technology screen by either clicking on the icon or CTL + F7. Then from the drop down menu listing the various categories just select the technology and make it obsolete. This will ensure that it is no longer itemised in either the design screen or the industry screen as a build item. Each technology can be obsoleted or returned to use as one wishes.

DavidR