Author Topic: My Current Games Upcoming Ship, The Traveller-Class Asteroid Colonizer  (Read 1571 times)

Offline xenoscepter (OP)

• Vice Admiral
Code: [Select]
Traveller class Asteroid Colonizer    30,000 tons     124 Crew     664 BP      TCS 600  TH 600  EM 0
1000 km/s     Armour 2-86     Shields 0-0     Sensors 1/1/0/0     Damage Control Rating 1     PPV 0
MSP 14    Max Repair 40 MSP
Intended Deployment Time: 3 months    Spare Berths 0   
Troop Capacity: 5 Battalions    Cargo 10000    Cryogenic Berths 1000    Cargo Handling Multiplier 5   

StarTech Systems Model B (4)    Power 150    Fuel Use 6.63%    Signature 150    Exp 5%
Fuel Capacity 140,000 Litres    Range 12.7 billion km   (146 days at full power)

This design is classed as a Commercial Vessel for maintenance purposes

- I tried using Alaska-Class Orbital Habitats / Asteroid Miners for the job, figuring a mobile or at least Tug-able unit would work out well. Then I decided it was too much of a pain, so I went ahead and created this. A single Construction Brigade builds one Underground Infrastructure (or a few, up to three, depending on the Asteroid in question) on any Asteroid with a mineral presence. They then build a Construction Factory and a Mine. In the meantime the Traveller, meant to be the only ship in her class, ferries an Auto Mine, and enough Prefab PDC components for two Armoured Barracks which will hold up to a Brigades worth of Ground Units, one for the construction Brigade (who are now a part of the Asteroid Mine / Colony) and one to hold a trio of Garrison Brigades alongside a pair of Replacement Brigades. Later, I can expand these colonies with additional PDCs, installations or Orbital Habitats as needed.

- This 30,000-Ton behemoth is powered by four StarTech Systems Model B Ion Engines, Commercial Grade units built using the 0.5 Litres per Hour Fuel Consumption Tech. She can carry 10,000 tons of Cargo and a thousand Colonists for the Asteroid in question. She has Troop Transport Capacity for up to a single Brigade, and slightly beefed up armor in the event she needs to greet some... unwelcome guests. She has roughly two weeks more fuel in the tank than she does life support for her deployment, but perfect numbers are hard to get. ce'st la vie I'm currently 28 years in and already have the S.P.C.S. Traveller laid and well underway... had to wait to churn out the dern Maintenance Facilities; not that a Commercial Ships has maintenance requirements, I'm just OCD about having enough maintenance to support my largest class regardless of type. That, and the 30,000 ton Maintenance facilities won't go to waste since I subscribe to the "Bigger is better." philosophy of Starship design.

So, that's my proposed Traveller-Class Asteroid Colonizer. What do you guys think?
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 11:55:30 PM by xenoscepter »

Offline Father Tim

• Vice Admiral
At 1,000 km/s she'll have trouble catching some comets, but otherwise she should do what you want her to.

And upgrading the engines with newer tech (for better speed at the same excellent fuel economy) is relatively straightforward.  Expensive, but straightforward.

Offline Michael Sandy

• Commodore
  • M
I generally don't spend the 20k research to get Underground Infrastructure until significantly after MP drive tech.  I like the RP concept of an all in one Outpost Creation ship.  Except the damned civilians are likely to overpopulate it. ;)

Offline Cavgunner

• Lt. Commander
I like the idea in theory, but I question how much actual production you're going to get out of a small-pop asteroid colony.  On the other hand, if all you need is some kind of PDC naval station (with just enough people to provide R&R for visiting ships) then this would seem to provide the goal you're going for.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2019, 01:26:09 AM by Cavgunner »